Input helper number not a float?

That’s fair. So do you think if I deleted my post, the one that explains the cause of the problem and suggests how to correct it, new readers will understand all of that from the author’s post (the one that simply duplicates my suggestion)?

2 Likes

Your statement is logical and I generally agree but people just searching for a quick fix will ‘just’ take the quick fix and learn nothing as a consequence.

The reason our major support people answer the way they do is to positively encourage people to think and learn.
If the solution links to that same post then more will learn and the OP’s consequent implementation is usually just below.
This is the best of both worlds.

I don’t want to fall into insulting someone but, with all respect, it looks so childish. I’ve seen it several times in various threads before saying a word… battling for the solution mark. I’ll say nothing more about his, last words… Do as you please.

Perhaps you have misunderstood the purpose of marking a post with the Solution tag. It helps other users by identifying which topics have arrived at a satisfactory conclusion. The Solution post identifies the root cause and presents a means to resolve it.

It’s a handy aid when searching for answers to questions and is a suggested practice in the community guidelines document called: How to help us help you (see #21).

Many users overlook to perform this final step and I remind them to do so. On some occasions, they have marked my post and I have asked them to remove it and mark another person’s post because it was either first or better (or both).

To be clear, I only ask users to follow the community’s customs and never pressure them; ultimately, it’s their decision.

What is a regrettable practice is when the topic’s author copies someone else’s suggestion and then marks their own post as the Solution. They add nothing and only demonstrate their ability to duplicate a post. If I see someone repeat this behavior, I’m less motivated to provide them with assistance (because they can’t follow a simple community practice).

1 Like