Input Slider show light brightness in percent? (not 0 - 255)

I have some input sliders to adjust light brightness, and when moving the slider it shows the brightness level from 0 to 255.

input slider

Is there any way to change this to show the brightness from 0 to 100%? (while still moving the range from 0 to 255 in the background)

I’m guessing it would be possible with some sort of template, but have no idea how.

Basically now you have an input slider called brightness that goes from 0-255, and an automation that changes light brightness when input slider state changes.

You could modify your slider to range from 0 to 100 and in your automation instead of having the slider from 0-255

data_template:
   entity_id: light.bedroom
   brightness: '{{ states.input_slider.brightness.state | int }}'

You could have something with a slider from 0-100 like (not sure about syntax, but that’s the idea)

data_template:
   entity_id: light.bedroom
   brightness: '{{ states.input_slider.brightness.state | float multiply(2.55) | round(0) }}'

Thanks for the help!

I added this this to my HA, but it came back with an error message

- alias: "Office Light Brightness"
  hide_entity: true
  trigger:
    platform: state
    entity_id: input_slider.office_light_brightness
  action:
  - service: light.turn_on
    data_template:
      entity_id: light.office_light
      brightness: '{{ states.input_slider.brightness.state | float multiply(2.55) | round(0) }}'

The error message said:

2017-06-30 10:12:48 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.config] Invalid config for [automation]: invalid template (TemplateSyntaxError: expected token ‘end of print statement’, got ‘multiply’) for dictionary value @ data[‘action’][0][‘data_template’][‘brightness’]. Got None.

Any idea how to fix that?

try (I tested it, it should work this time)

brightness: '{{ states.input_slider.brightness.state | int * 2.55 | round(0) }}'

note that you should also modify the name in the template, to match the name of your slider.
i.e. remplace states.input_slider.brightness.state with states.input_slider.office_light_brightness.state

4 Likes

Perfect, thanks a lot! :grinning:

Glad it worked. Flag my previous message as the solution, so It will directly show that the topic is solved

Done :+1:

Thanks again

1 Like

Hi,

I tried your solution, but I can’t get it to work. It still shows the value from 1 - 255 instead of 1 - 100.

My code is:

- alias: Lysstyrke
  trigger:
    entity_id: input_number.slider1
  action:
    data_template:
      entity_id: light.spisebord
      brightness: '{{ states.input_number.slider1.state | int * 2.55 | round(0) }}'

Can you spot any issues here?

action:
    data_template:

Off the top of my head move the entity_id line, so it’s like this:

action:
    data_template:
         brightness: '{{ states.input_number.slider1.state | int * 2.55 | round(0) }}'
1 Like

also it should be /2.55 and not *2.55 I think…
Perhaps as it has changed from input_slider to input_number, you are not required to put the | int.
Maybe just go with

brightness: '{{ states.input_number.slider1.state / 2.55 | round(0) }}'

you should limit your inputnumber to max 100, and then it should work

input_number:
  dimmer_slp1:
  name: brightness
  initial: 50
  min: 0
  max: 100
  step: 5
  mode: slider
1 Like

Here’s an example of my config, it might help?

input_number:
office_light_brightness:
  initial: 100
  min: 0
  max: 100
  step: 5

automation:
- alias: "Office Light Brightness"
  hide_entity: true
  trigger:
    entity_id: input_number.office_light_brightness
  action:
    data_template:
      entity_id: light.office_light
      brightness: '{{ states.input_number.office_light_brightness.state | int * 2.55 | round(0) }}'
2 Likes