Install issues - please advise

Thanks man, your contributions, at least on the forum have helped me make quite a bit of progress.

For the time being, I’ve scratched the docker instance, as I couldn’t get the url working right. But once 2.0 is done, and your pull request is merged, I’ll take another look at it.

1 Like

Yes, with @quadportnick 's assistance I am hoping to improve the Docker experience, it just isn’t a priority for the Beta.

After 3 (almost full) days of messing with this, I finally got it working, and looking pretty good too!

4 Likes

Would you mind elaborating on this? I’ve got nginx setup, but I’m still using ssl internally (and don’t need to be).

I followed this guide:

then i got inspiration for my nginx configuration from this guide:
https://deviantengineer.com/2015/05/nginx-reverseproxy-centos7/

After that i had issues when i tried to login to home assistant.
This was fixed by changing the proxy pass location to this:

location  / {
     proxy_pass  http://10.0.0.80:8123/;
     proxy_set_header Host $host;
     proxy_set_header X-Real-IP $remote_addr;
     proxy_set_header X-Forwarded-For $proxy_add_x_forwarded_for;
         proxy_http_version 1.1;
         proxy_set_header Upgrade $http_upgrade;
         proxy_set_header Connection $connection_upgrade;
   }
1 Like

Finally got mine up and running on my FreeNAS Corral setup (yes… i know… it’s a dead system base but it’s what i’ve got til docker is in the new FN 11).
Had to manually copy over the conf directory, and add dash_url to the config yaml (container is bridged so put http://containerip:5050)
All working and a happy chappy :slight_smile: now to get config’ing…

1 Like

Could I get some help please? I did have HADashboard v1 up and running, using the manual install, but it wasn’t updating so I spent ages getting all the bugs out of my install of HApush. I finally got that playing ball but I’ve somehow buggered my HADashboard!! Here’s what I get when I start dashing:-

pi@hadashboard:~/hadashboard $ dashing start
/home/pi/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.4.0/gems/thin-1.6.4/lib/thin/server.rb:107: warning: constant ::Fixnum is deprecated
/home/pi/.rvm/rubies/ruby-2.4.0/lib/ruby/2.4.0/psych.rb:377:in `parse': (history.yml): invalid leading UTF-8 octet at line 1 column 1 (Psych::SyntaxError)
        from /home/pi/.rvm/rubies/ruby-2.4.0/lib/ruby/2.4.0/psych.rb:377:in `parse_stream'
        from /home/pi/.rvm/rubies/ruby-2.4.0/lib/ruby/2.4.0/psych.rb:325:in `parse'
        from /home/pi/.rvm/rubies/ruby-2.4.0/lib/ruby/2.4.0/psych.rb:252:in `load'
        from /home/pi/.rvm/rubies/ruby-2.4.0/lib/ruby/2.4.0/psych.rb:473:in `block in load_file'
        from /home/pi/.rvm/rubies/ruby-2.4.0/lib/ruby/2.4.0/psych.rb:472:in `open'
        from /home/pi/.rvm/rubies/ruby-2.4.0/lib/ruby/2.4.0/psych.rb:472:in `load_file'
        from /home/pi/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.4.0/gems/dashing-1.3.7/lib/dashing/app.rb:44:in `<top (required)>'
        from /home/pi/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.4.0/gems/dashing-1.3.7/lib/dashing.rb:3:in `require'
        from /home/pi/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.4.0/gems/dashing-1.3.7/lib/dashing.rb:3:in `<top (required)>'
        from config.ru:1:in `require'
        from config.ru:1:in `block in <main>'
        from /home/pi/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.4.0/gems/rack-1.5.5/lib/rack/builder.rb:55:in `instance_eval'
        from /home/pi/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.4.0/gems/rack-1.5.5/lib/rack/builder.rb:55:in `initialize'
        from config.ru:1:in `new'
        from config.ru:1:in `<main>'
        from /home/pi/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.4.0/gems/thin-1.6.4/lib/rack/adapter/loader.rb:33:in `eval'
        from /home/pi/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.4.0/gems/thin-1.6.4/lib/rack/adapter/loader.rb:33:in `load'
        from /home/pi/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.4.0/gems/thin-1.6.4/lib/thin/controllers/controller.rb:182:in `load_rackup_config'
        from /home/pi/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.4.0/gems/thin-1.6.4/lib/thin/controllers/controller.rb:72:in `start'
        from /home/pi/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.4.0/gems/thin-1.6.4/lib/thin/runner.rb:200:in `run_command'
        from /home/pi/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.4.0/gems/thin-1.6.4/lib/thin/runner.rb:156:in `run!'
        from /home/pi/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.4.0/gems/thin-1.6.4/bin/thin:6:in `<top (required)>'
        from /home/pi/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.4.0/bin/thin:23:in `load'
        from /home/pi/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.4.0/bin/thin:23:in `<main>'
        from /home/pi/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.4.0/bin/ruby_executable_hooks:15:in `eval'
        from /home/pi/.rvm/gems/ruby-2.4.0/bin/ruby_executable_hooks:15:in `<main>'
pi@hadashboard:~/hadashboard $

I’ve followed all the advice I can find including modifying the specifications.rb file. I haven’t changed my config from when it was working, I’ve just spent my time updating Ruby with rvm and making sure it uses the most up-to-date version. I just cannot find the problem! I’ve re-installed bundler and run bundle loads of times, as well as re-installing dashing. I’ve even cleansed all the Gems but nothing seems to be working. Note-to-self, do a backup of a semi-working version before messing about!

I’m also getting

2017-08-14 23:34:15.511076 WARNING Unable to connect to Home Assistant, retrying in 5 seconds

and this the debug log:

2017-08-14 23:34:40.179257 WARNING Unable to connect to Home Assistant, retrying in 5 seconds
2017-08-14 23:34:40.179996 WARNING ------------------------------------------------------------
2017-08-14 23:34:40.180738 WARNING Unexpected error:
2017-08-14 23:34:40.181412 WARNING ------------------------------------------------------------
2017-08-14 23:34:40.183829 WARNING Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/requests/utils.py", line 868, in check_header_validity
    if not pat.match(value):
TypeError: expected string or buffer

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/appdaemon/appdaemon.py", line 1779, in main
    ha_config = ha.get_ha_config()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/appdaemon/homeassistant.py", line 263, in get_ha_config
    r = requests.get(apiurl, headers=headers, verify=conf.certpath)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/requests/api.py", line 72, in get
    return request('get', url, params=params, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/requests/api.py", line 58, in request
    return session.request(method=method, url=url, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 494, in request
    prep = self.prepare_request(req)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 437, in prepare_request
    hooks=merge_hooks(request.hooks, self.hooks),
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/requests/models.py", line 306, in prepare
    self.prepare_headers(headers)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/requests/models.py", line 440, in prepare_headers
    check_header_validity(header)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.4/dist-packages/requests/utils.py", line 872, in check_header_validity
    "not %s" % (value, type(value)))
requests.exceptions.InvalidHeader: Header value 93129498 must be of type str or bytes, not <class 'int'>

2017-08-14 23:34:40.184761 WARNING ------------------------------------------------------------

what is going on?

Check this out looks similar.

If it is the same issue, I’m guessing ‘93129498’ is your password and you need to make it not a number. (And probably scrub it from logs :wink: )

no, that’s not my password but anyway putting my password into quotes solved the issue.

Im sure I’m missing something but Ive followed the directions and no matter what I do I can not get Appdaemon to connect to Home Assistant. Here is my log

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/appdaemon/appdaemon.py", line 1782, in main
    ha_config = ha.get_ha_config()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/appdaemon/homeassistant.py", line 267, in get_ha_config
    r = requests.get(apiurl, headers=headers, verify=conf.certpath)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/requests/api.py", line 72, in get
    return request('get', url, params=params, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/requests/api.py", line 58, in request
    return session.request(method=method, url=url, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 508, in request
    resp = self.send(prep, **send_kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 612, in send
    adapter = self.get_adapter(url=request.url)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.6/site-packages/requests/sessions.py", line 703, in get_adapter
    raise InvalidSchema("No connection adapters were found for '%s'" % url)
requests.exceptions.InvalidSchema: No connection adapters were found for '192.168.1.12:8123/api/config'

How about some more info, like your config? Looks like it mupight be a problem with your hass url

Thats what I was thinking but I have no issues accessing HA from that URL, it is running in a Docker on Unraid if that matters at all.

AppDaemon:
   logfile: STDOUT
   errorfile: STDERR
   threads: 10
 HASS:
   ha_url: 192.168.1.12:8123
 HADashboard:
   dash_url: http://192.168.1.12:5050
 # Apps
 hello_world:
   module: hello
   class: HelloWorld

i know that andrew does makes extra efford to get things consistant.
so probably your problem lies in an inconsistancy i see:

ha_url: 192.168.1.12:8123
dash_url: http://192.168.1.12:5050

try placing http// before your ha_url :wink:

I actually caught that right after I posted and fixed it, still seems to be a no go

and what does the log say after that?

Same thing unfortunately

That has to be the cause of that particular error - did you restart AppDaemon? Please paste the new error.

Well Im still not sure what I did wrong but I deleted it all and started over. Now Im good to go

2 Likes

can you share your hassio+duckdns+letsencrypt appdaemon config?