Install on Raspi5 without docker

hello
if i do choose Home assistant ios will it install it in docker?

because i do not like docker and would like to install it direct on my new Raspi5

have a nice day
vinc

HA OS is using docker, the only install without docker is HA Core (in a python venv). Not that you see that docker is used in HA OS, the complexity of docker is hidden by Supervisor.

HAOS is totally opaque, so you shouldn’t care if docker is used or not.
But if you are really allergic, the only docker-free installation method is “Core”

You could also install via python venv :sweat_smile:

Hello @vinc14, I would like to ask Why you thinking about this. What you mean you do not “like docker”?

The HA OS is a managed system. You do not interact with it directly. You won’t see docker. However, rest assured, it is by far the best and recommended option to get on with Home Assistant.

You might be tech savvy but remind yourself that maybe owning a solid basis for home automation is more important than managing the Linux underneath :slight_smile:

Just my two cents, food for thought

That’s the “Core” installation method :wink:

Hello @ThomDietrich
why i do not like docker - because i can’t debug it!
i have a plain sd card with just Pi os - and did have access to the Pi5!
so i gave it a chance took the SD Card and with rpi-manager selected the Home Assistent and loaded it.
now it is not working - and have no access to nothing to debug

Then you’re gonna hate HAOS.
Perfect black box :smile:

2 Likes

Rasperry Pi works finde and also Home Assistant Core works so far - also got to start it at boot .
followed some youtube video and whiched to get the Addons - but can’t find it

Only HAOS (or Supervised) have addons.
But you would have hated them, too: they are docker containers :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Good luck in your endeavors! Just a hunch: You won’t find much support with this, because not many go the extra mile to end with a in many ways less useful result :slight_smile:

If you have a normal Linux installed now, there is no real need for HA Addons, because you can equally just install the software directly, so in case you want to install Mosquitto or InfluxDB, you just do that according to their standard documentation.

1 Like

@ThomDietrich thanks for your feedback.
i tryed again but the device still makes error on first stat and boot - no access not way to debug the information

Hi @vinc14 , Why are you debugging, is the HAOS starting?

@rivasa
a bit it is starting but then i got a

but plain core would work fine but then i miss the add-ons

Must admit, I have jus re-installed for the 3rd time I have no issues at all. Good luck with your journey though.