Installation in a Synology NAS (with a Docker apps.)

Hi,

I can’t download the last versions from my Synology Docker’s apps. Last version showned is 0.20.20…:hushed: and i can see the next ones. I tried to install the Synology Docker’s apps in another NAS and it seems is doing the same.

Could you please helping me with this issue?

Kind regards,
Antoni.

I have the same issue - fix in this thread

Hi jimbob1001,

Thank you!, I try later, but I don’t know how this don’t work now…

login synology ssh

RUN COMMAND:
docker run -v /docker/docker/homeassistant:/config -p 1883:1883 -p 8123:8123 --name=containername homeassistant/home-assistant:version

FOR EXAMPLE
This will download Version 27.2 and name it HASS–0272

docker run -v /docker/docker/homeassistant:/config -p 1883:1883 -p 812
3:8123 --name=HASS–0272 homeassistant/home-assistant:0.27.2

you may need to change the volume based on your setup.
In some other docker install I use something like “-v /volume2/docker/folder:/containerfolder”

you can change ports as needed

I think synology docker has a limit to tags it can show and only show first 15 or something so you must build manually.

Yes! thank you.

Hi guys,

I have the same issue like in the main thread, but the recommended pull does not work, permission denied.
Any idea why only 0.20.2 is the last?

Regards,
Bogdan

The underlying issue is something to do with the docker API used by synology being out of date I believe, (although I cannot remember where I read that!) so until synology update the docker implementation in DSM we are stuck.

Try logging in via SSH and running…

sudo docker pull homeassistant/home-assistant

What user are you logged in as?

For DSM5, you should login as root.

For DSM6, you should login with admin then use su - root to switch to the root user. Then try the pull command.

I give up Docker since it looses my configuration on each restart. I still have a lot to learn about Docker.

Aww sounds like you didn’t mount your configuration directory when running home assistant. This means each time you restarted the Home Assistant container, a new fresh copy of the config would be loaded.

If you’re still interested, I wrote a guide on my blog on how to get Home Assistant up and running on a Synology with Docker here: http://philhawthorne.com/installing-home-assistant-io-on-a-synology-diskstation-nas/

3 Likes

Thank you very much

Synology docker just received an update that fixes this issue…

Version: 1.11.2-0270

(2017/01/19)
Fixed an issue regarding memory usage display.
Fixed an issue where some images on Docker     Hub cannot be downloaded.
Minor bug fixes.
1 Like

Oooo Yes!!, thaks you.

Antoni.

Phil, have watched your YouTube videos on this - excellent! I have DSM6 and can’t get the docker run command to work. Can you please give me step-by-step on how to switch to root? I’ve logged in as admin ok, just not sure what to do next.

I’m pretty sure you would then use the following command

su root

That should tell you to switch to the root account. It may ask you for a password, if it does use the same password you used for your admin account.

wow fast reply, ok thanks, I’ll try that tonight. I’ve seen other discussions on this forum where they prefix all docker commands with sudo - does that do the same thing?

Yep potentially. However some systems won’t allow you to use sudo. You might get an error like “sudo command not found”.

So, if sudo doesn’t work, try the su command above to switch to the root user.

Hi, Yesterday Synology updated the Docker and solve a problem with HA when update from IU…

So in summary, I’m on a Synology DS1513+ with DSM 6.0.2-8451 Update 9 software.

If I login as ssh [email protected] and enter docker commands as per your blog I get the error message
docker: Cannot connect to the Docker daemon. Is the docker daemon running on this host?. See 'docker run --help'.

I tried su root but this doesn’t work, I get “Permission denied” after I enter the password, and trying to login as ssh [email protected] also doesn’t work, permission denied, as you said in your blog post.

But prefixing the docker command with sudo works great!!

So ssh into the NAS using ssh [email protected] and enter sudo docker run --name home-assistant --restart=always --net=host -itd -v /volume1/Shared/docker/homeassistant/config:/config homeassistant/home-assistant

I just have to work out why I got this error, I think I just haven’t created the right folder

docker: Error response from daemon: stat /volume1/Shared/docker/homeassistant/config: no such file or directory.

Yep sounds like the directory doesn’t exist. You can run the following to create it

mkdir -p /volume1/Shared/docker/homeassistant/config

If the Docker command still doesn’t work, then it could be a permissions issue. When using sudo you are effectivly running the command as another user, who may not have permission to view that folder. You can then do the following to make sure all users have access to the folder, and then re-run your docker command.

chmod -R 0777 /volume1/Shared/docker

Thanks for reporting back, I’ll update my blog post with your findings so others on DSM6 won’t have to hunt for the answer!