Installation Methods & Community Guides Wiki

I like the term “Home Assistant Complete” for the former HassOS packaging of HA.

I think the thing to remember (and successfully convey and document for the new user) is that the System as a whole, the marketing term, the thing-you-want, is Home Assistant. You can install in it in 1 of 4 “modes” that will give the end-user various options/benefits depending on the method chosen.

That’s how I explain it to friends (why does it sound like an infomercial???):
Friend: “Hey Terry, what are you running for home automation? It’s cool.”
Me: “I run Home Assistant”
Friend: “How’d you install it? Is it hard to install?”
Me: “You can install it several different ways, depending on your skill level and comfort in tinkering with stuff. I installed mine on a 2012 Mac Mini, thats running Ubuntu Linux. My install is called “Supervised” and lives in docker along with a supervisor container that manages it all and lets me easily use some cool add-ons.”
Friend: “That sounds neat, but I don’t really understand Linux and Docker. You know I’m a Windows man.”
Me: “Don’t remind me… In that case, use the [complete, Home Assistant, HASSOS] install method. It hides all of the complexity in installation and management. You just need a RPi and microSD or Intel NUC to get started.”

(Shouting intentional) THANKS FOR KEEPING THE SUPERVISED OPTION AROUND! YOU GUYS KICK ASS!!

Terry

2 Likes

I couldn’t help myself

16 Likes

Thanks for keeping supervised alive!
It’s the only way I’ve been installing HASS over the years, since I outgrew the RPI as it was not stable enough for me (I replaced the entire PI and the SDCard and still had stability issues), now running on a NUC and completely stable

1 Like

Yes, the current guide is quite good, I just want to make sure I install it on a supported OS (be it debian, ubuntu or whatever).

Well if you read the guide I linked to you will see that it uses Ubuntu LTS, so yes it is supported. Plus since I said many of us have been using it successfully… That would indicate that it works :man_facepalming:

I believe Kanga_who is preparing a version for Debian as well

It’s in the community guides section here :wink:

2 Likes

… And he’s done it already :+1:

1 Like

Kanga, I think it’s a tribute to Pascal, and the likes of you, that there is such a strong base of supervised installs (unbeknownst to the devs obviously).
This is a testament to how stable/reliable this method is.
And the devs now know that the dribble of support requests they do get are but a minor facet of the user base using this method.
This is pretty much as it should be as the devs need to develop, not support users, we do a pretty good job of that via this forum from user to user, and these community guides are a great, obvious and direct way of doing just that.
This post was addressed to you but is actually intended for ALL the community members who help out, be it with a single post or with hundreds.
Thanks guys
:clap:

3 Likes

Well, maybe I wasn’t clear, I want to make sure I install on a OS that is oficially supported like it was mentioned here:

I’m in no rush, once these details are out and if Ubuntu 18.04.04 is official, then I already know which guide to use! :slight_smile:

Thanks

Just my 2 cents on the naming issue.
4 versions, distinct names, the way it is now is a bit confusing, things are what they are :stuck_out_tongue:
Home Assistant OS
Home Assistant Linux Supervised
Home Assistant Docker
Home Assistant Python

Easy naming for easy id of what each one is and does and what is supported on each.
Like i said my 2 cents on this matter

2 Likes

The Home Assistant OS is a different project an using that as a reference method makes it ambiguous…

I like the simplified and logical install methods from this blog post. But we have had enough name changes, lets stick with this categorisation for a while : )

I get it, it was just a sugestion, to keep the names and functions tiddy :wink:

Best regards

1 Like

As I suggested elsewhere since apparently no one really even knows of the existence of the “other project” then it would likely be better use of resources to rename that one to something else so you can rename things as suggested by many users here.

1 Like

Sure, I get that, but it is the operating system… so in my opinion giving that a different name is a bit silly :slight_smile: the installation method is more than just the operating system, it is running the Home Assistant project at full.

That is good news - no more blanket XXX OS is not supported responses hopefully.

Whilst I agree the install method is different, I think to cover it under the one heading is fine, as the starting point from the Devs POV is the same. The install on a NUC with EMMC is likely to be a bit different to a Pi4 and different again to a Pi4 with SSD etc. A VM is just another ‘platform’ for the image.

I think the Blog should have made clear that the supervised installer will not be restored immediately but after further consideration (although what that means I am not sure).

I’m glad this method will be still supported / possible.
Runs very stable on my pi 3b+
Awesome!! Thanks!

Thanks for the clarifications. Much love HA!

We’ve started the process of officially defining our installation methods and their requirements in the architecture repository.

3 Likes

Do you want discussion in a community thread, or on the PR itself?