Installation on 64 bit Windows 10

Forgive me, I’m very new, and not a programmer. I’ve been running an ISY 99 for 5 years and Hal2000 before that. I was excited when I discovered Home Assistant earlier today, but I’m beginning to think that Home Assistant may not be for the average Joe. “Installation in under a minute”? I’ve been working at if for hours :frowning:

I installed Python 3.5 32 bit and then Python 3.4 64 bit. I get the Python.exe window. What next? I’ve tried cutting / pasting the “$ pip3 install homeassitant” but I get a syntax error. I’m lost.

Could someone give me step by step directions? Or point me to where I can learn from the beginning how to work with Python? Or does this request just show that it’s way over my head and I should move on.

After you’ve installed Python, you should have a command line utility ‘pip3’ available. Running ‘pip3 install homeassistant’ will install Home Assistant and after that running ‘hass’ will launch it. It might be that the paths are not being set up correctly by Python on Windows. I have no experience with that.

Following is my experience so far on Windows. I share it to possibly help anyone else not used to working with command line or python on Windows.

I made a little progress… I had to go to the Windows CMD. The default beginning path there, is “C:\Users\User-Name>” I had to enter “C:\Python34\Scripts\pip3 install home assistant” to install and “C:\Python34\Scripts\hass” to get it to run. I’m sure this is incredibly elementary, but when you’re not used to working with command line (I’m not!) it was quite a hurdle.

I was able to eventually find the config file here: C:\Python34\Lib\site-packages\homeassistant\config.py

Note that the extension is “.py” not “.yaml” as described in the Home Assistant configuration pages. Again, probably obvious and elementary to those with more experience.

I successfully password protected adding “http: api_password: YOUR_PASSWORD”

I am getting this error in red in CMD:

INFO:homeassistant.util.package:Attempting install of pychromecast==0.6.14
Exception:
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "c:\python34\lib\site-packages\pip\basecommand.py", line 211, in main
    status = self.run(options, args)
  File "c:\python34\lib\site-packages\pip\commands\install.py", line 373, in run
    os.remove(target_item_dir)
PermissionError: [WinError 5] Access is denied: 'C:\\Users\\kurel\\AppData\\Roaming\\.homeassistant\\lib\\netifaces.pyd'
ERROR:homeassistant.bootstrap:Not initializing media_player.cast because could not install dependency pychromecast==0.6.14

I haven’t figured out why Chromecast configuration isn’t working, and have no idea what to do. Maybe a file path issue again?

I tried setting up the ISY99 by copy / pasting from the instructions into the config.py file, and entering my ISY log in info. Nothing seems to happen.

Hi!

You should not edit config.py. That file is a source file and used by home assistant to find your config directory and setup the initial user config file. The config file you’re looking for should be created in C:\Users\kurel\AppData\Roaming\.homeassistant after first start of home assistant.

It looks as you have to change permission for the parent directory of .homeassistant though. Check permissions of that folder first. Home assistant needs to be able to read and write in there.

Hi, I also tried on Windows 10 but it won’t let me install it:

[code]C:\Python34\Scripts>pip3 install home assistant
Collecting home
Downloading home-0.3.4.tar.gz (2.2MB)
100% |################################| 2.2MB 166kB/s
Collecting assistant
Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement assistant (from versions: )
No matching distribution found for assistant
You are using pip version 7.1.2, however version 8.0.2 is available.
You should consider upgrading via the ‘python -m pip install --upgrade pip’ command.

C:\Python34\Scripts>python -m pip install --upgrade pip
‘python’ is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.[/code]

Hi!

When you install home assistant with pip, you need to write the correct name that pip is aware of, which is “homeassistant”:

pip3 install homeassistant
pip3 install --upgrade pip

The last line is for upgrading pip, if you want to do that.