Installation on Windows 10 | IP refused to connect

Hey Guys. I am a complete newbie to HA so please excuse me if I am missing something pretty simple.

I have followed many Youtube videos and the official HA installation instructions. After starting the virtualBox and getting to the login screen on the commandLine I am not able to access HA through the IP address (192.168.xx.x:8123) or the hassio.local:8123.

I would be extremely grateful if someone can help me figure out what I’m doing wrong!

1 Like

from the screen you’re at in the photo you attached, type “login”. then type “ha supervisor log” and/or “ha core log” and see if the logs give you any clues…

I’d also recommend setting a static IP by following this guide:

https://tech.borpin.co.uk/2018/10/18/using-nmcli-to-set-a-static-ipv4-address-in-hass-io/

Keep in mind it does take quite a while for the server to be available via the ip address. It may look like it’s ready and you’ll be able to see the screen you pasted pretty quickly, but you might not be able to access ip:8123 for a while. Mine takes around 5 minutes when I reload my VM. Feels like forever and it gives you very little feedback when it’s doing it’s thing. But you should still be able to see the logs during this period and can monitor what it’s doing that way… hope this helps.

Jake Bauer

Thank you so much for helping me out.
These are the log results:

ha core log:

ha supervisor log:
Watchdog found a problem with Multicast plugin!

I’ll try the static IP and see if that helps.

I successfully set up the static IP but that didn’t help.
Btw, after setting up the static IP I should be using the following to access HA right?
192.168.100.1/8123

if that is the IP you assigned to it, yes…

Within Vbox, which LAN interface did you tie to the W10 network inteface?

It should be tied to the physical network interface in bridge mode.

Just asking, as by default VBox ties it to the virtual network interface which is available to host only (so it will not available on your network nor be able to get a dhcp when not using static :wink:)

NO!. it’s a colon not a slash before the port. 192.168.100.1:8123

This is what I have on my network settings

I just tried installing on a different PC and followed all the steps you guys mentioned above as well and the same thing is happening.

Is it possible that this port 8123 is being used for something else as well? or there’s a different port?

Another question!
Is it necessary to have a ethernet cable connected to the laptop or Wifi should work as well?
I’ve tried both but just want to make sure.

Sorry that was a typo error I made.
Unfortunately I couldn’t get it to work yet.

So I used the following command (netstat -ab) on command prompt to see if the port 8123 comes up on it and it didn’t. Is that normal or that gives us any idea?

Good question, not sure with Vbox.
But wifi should also work.

btw, internet settings in Vbox look ok

I would try to start a test vm with some live diskimage to make sure where the problem is.

Hey Guys,

Just wanted to give you all an update. I feel like the dumbest person ever. I didn’t understand the concept of the VirtualBox and so I kept finding the IP address of the computer itself instead of finding the IP of the separate “Computer” that Virtual Box created.

For anyone else (I don’t think there will be many), When you’ve followed the installation instructions and the HomeAssistant has started on VirtualBox. Make sure you sign into your router and find a device named “homeassistant” in the online devices. The IP assigned to that device is what you need to use to access HomeAssistant.

Thank you so much for your help guys.

Each network device requires an IP address in order to communicate over tcp.
So this applies not only to real devices, but just as well as virtual devices :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Finally I find the answer! Thanks!