Installing Home Assistant on a RPi 4b with SSD boot

Hi Mick,
I am reluctant too. Will give it a try over the weekend and report back here.

i am on 5.11 already and no problems with my setup

1 Like

Ah, good to know! Thanks.

I am also on 5.11 and no problems during upgrade!

1 Like

Hi, any ideas on where to start troubleshooting, I still can’t upgrade to any new version.

21-01-22 23:05:22 ERROR (SyncWorker_7) [supervisor.docker.interface] Can’t install homeassistant/raspberrypi4-64-homeassistant:2021.1.4 -> 404 Client Error for http+docker://localhost/v1.40/images/homeassistant/raspberrypi4-64-homeassistant:2021.1.4/json: Not Found (“no such image: homeassistant/raspberrypi4-64-homeassistant:2021.1.4: No such image: homeassistant/raspberrypi4-64-homeassistant:2021.1.4”).
21-01-22 23:05:22 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.homeassistant.core] Updating Home Assistant image failed

Did you try to search the forum for that error msg?
What about this thread?:
https://community.home-assistant.io/t/error-updating-to-0-103-6-no-such-image

That thread is not related to HA on Pi4. I’m using 256GB SSD

Judging by the forum posts there seem to be occasional problems like yours with 0.118.x versions.
You could create a snapshot, install a fresh system from scratch and reload the snapshot.

@Jpsy I’m doing that right now. I’ve flashed my SSD with the new 5.11 (hassos_rpi4-64-5.11.img.xz) been waiting for about 15 mins now, and no sign of it online lol! a bit frustrating. I don’t have a mini HDMI dongle/cable to plug in a monitor and see what’s going on. Silly question; I don’t need to upgrade the EEPROM again from my Raspberry OS SD? I’ve already one that, I only re-flashed the SSD with HassOS

I’m looking at the same configuration here. Are you happy with the x825?

Bob

Nope. The boot EEPROM won’t change when you reinstall HA (as long as you don’t use v5.6 to 5.8 which in fact did change it). So you don’t have to flash the EEPROM again. On the other hand the latest boot EEPROM code might just solve your problem. There are many boot problems that are addressed through changes in newer boot code versions.

I updated the EEPROM to the latest beta and it boots with a cheap generic USB2 to SATA adaptor every time. I’ve ordered a cheap USB3 to SATA adaptor and have a reasonable confidence it will work. Fingers crossed, as always.

Thank you, still can’t access HA, the “Preparing HA” page did load for a bit, then disappeared! I can ping the IP but can’t get to login page. I’ll start from scratch, still have the Raspberry OS SD.

Yes, completely satisfied. I’ve been running the X825 and ssd Kingston 120 Gb since the beginning of the SSD boot option.
Today I am on HassOS 5.11 without a single problem.
Everything has been working perfectly for half a year.

1 Like

Pi 4 8gb
eeprom 16/01/2021
Startech 3.1
Netac 128GB SSD
USB3 bottom socket
Hass 5.11

Piece of cake, worked first time.

And everything resored via Samba.

1 Like

That’s great! I’ll probably place that order today.

I’m having problems getting the SSD process to work. I’ve etched 5.11 onto my SSD via Mac and Windows and get the same result, 8 very small partitions and not a 250GB partition that I would expect. In all, my partitions only come out to a bit over 1GB, so I’m concerned that this won’t work. Plus, unlike when I etched my SD card, this drive cannot be accessed by my operating system after being flashed, making me wonder if something is up.

Is this correct? Where’s the other 249GB?

Why don’t you try to boot from that drive and see what happens?

I think I could, now I can see the SD card has the same partition structure, however the SD shows the large partition as the bulk of the SD card (32GB), but this SSD only shows 1GB.

I suggest you clone the SD card to the SSD using the free version of Minitool Backer Upper (under the tools option) and select exact copy. You will get exactly that.