Installing Home Assistant on a RPi 4b with SSD boot

If I’m currently running smoothly on 5.6 with whatever EEPROM, should I stay put? Would upgrading from 5.6 -> 5.9 cause headaches?

From my experience and what others have posted, I would skip 5.9 and go for Home Assistant OS 5.10. I was initially on 5.2 running smooth and tried upgrading to 5.8 or 5.9, dont remember which one since I have flashed them all several times in the past 2 days. I finally have 5.10 running smooth. The only issue I have is with USB3 not working with my SSD/Adapter.

I assume you mean the obvious 5.10 (Stable) version and not some hidden Beta somewhere that I’m not seeing, correct? Don’t have to do any additional fancy EEPROM stuff? I ask because I thought I read in earlier posts that some 5.XX versions were overwriting all our hard EEPROM work. Not even sure if that’s necessarily bad or good.

All I can tell you is I’m on the latest production version and running fine. I assume the eeprom changes your referring to was this post which says 5.9 no longer updates the eeprom.

I have a question. For the first time installing the HA in the SSD (after went through the EEPROM updates), should I go for the development build or the latest stable build? In the guide at the first page in this thread, it mentioned we need to look for the development build of 5.x. However, I saw many of the users here have updated to 5.10 stable build.

Here is the only latest development build I found in the release page.

And here is the latest stable build in the same page.

I went with the stable build 5.10 yesterday and its still running smooth today. 5.10 should not make any changes to your eeprom according to this post Installing Home Assistant on a RPi 4b 8GB with SSD boot

No EEPROM overwrite anymore since 5.9.
All details in my post above:

I’m running this exact setup as well and it’s working great. Even got the cute little case from Geekworm as well. Next up is ZWave!

Any idea on why 5.2 works for me and version above do not? Also if it was caused by a eeprom update what version do I need to download to the pi?

Are you using the X825 board? If yes, can you please tell me where should I connect the power supply? To the X825 board or to the RPi4 board?

Thanks in advance.

My ingredients were:

• Geekworm X862 M.2 expansion board w/ Kingston A400 120G SSD
  • Geekworm X735 power module
  • Geekworm X857-C1 metal case

I just followed the instructions on https://raspberrypiwiki.com/index.php/X735

For the sake of another data point…here’s what I’ve done to get up and running. I had one too many hw issues with Hubitat, so I decided to give HA a try. I just purchased, brand new

Steps Followed

1. I flashed the latest EEPROM Boot Recovery(dated 2020-09-14) onto a microSD card using the Raspberry Pi Imager
  2. Inserted the microSD card into the RPi
  3. Powered on RPi
  4. Waited till the green led flashed consistently.
  5. Powered off RPi
  6. Downloaded hassos_rpi4-64-5.10.img.xz
  7. Flashed this image to the new SSD using Balena Etcher
    7a. Because of it being a brand new SSD, I did have to format it as I’m using a Macbook. Formatted it with Format of ExFAT and Scheme of Master Boot Record
  8. With the RPi unplugged, I connected the SSD to a USB3 port and connected the RPi ethernet port to my network switch
  9. Powered on the RPi
  10. By the time I walked upstairs to type in homeassistant:8123, I was greeted with the Login/Create Account page. Never even saw the Preparing Home Assistant screen. Must’ve been less than 90s

Anyway, this went way smoother than I was thinking it would. Hope this helps anyone that may be setting this up with a brand new RPi and HA install.

Thanks @Jpsy and everyone else who have contributed to this thread.

3 Likes

I have an X825 board and I have connected the power supply to the X825 and from the board to the Rpi. It has worked reliably with the Kingston A400 120Gb SSD for several months.

1 Like

Fully restored my original configuration. I was running on an RPI4 4GB with MicroSD. Now running on RPI4 8GB with Samsung 500 GB SSD. Had 2 instances running for awhile until I could get the SSD booting sorted out. I just finished restoring a backup from my RPI SD setup to my SSD. Only issues I had was I had to restart a couple of addons and some how ended up with 2 duplicate addons.

Only thing left is to get the SSD working on USB3 instead of USB2.

Greetings … I have an RPi 3+ SD and running HA over the last 4 months with varying degree’s of success . I have the Conbee II with a ZHA implementation. I am not from the Tech Environment but love gadgets. I would like to upgrade to the RPi 4 + SSD but the process listed in various communities (complicated to a non IT novice) discourages me . Is there any possibility of a Plug & Play update integrated into HA expected in the near future.

Has anyone of you ever had issues with some sort of hang ups of Home Assistant when using SSD?
Im following this thread already a few months now and tried twice, once with OS 5.3 and once with OS 5.10 .
The installation worked flawlessly, but after a few days I always couldnt access Home Assistant anymore until I fully disconnected and connected the Pi from power.
The only log entires I saw were some sort of “Error in database connectivity” as if the SSD suddently wasnt accessible anymore.

Using the Pi4 2GB with the ELUTENG USB Adapter and a 128GB SSD.

Try version 5.2. It has never froze for me. I have had issues above this version.

1 Like

I have no issues. Running on SSD since December 15 - no hang ups nor other issues. Upgrading to latest Supervisor (2021.1.0) and OS (5.9) from UI with no issues.
RPi4B, 4GB with Unitek Y-1039B USB-SSD adapter and Samsung SSD 860EVO 500GB connected to USB 3.0

Tried to move to SSD yesterday but kept running into a problem. Each time, it would get to the ‘Preparing Home Assistant’ page and hang. I pressed F12 and looked at the console. It was repeating an error stating that manifest.json was not found. Same result on Chrome and Firefox.

I am using Ugreen M.2 adapter and Samsung 860 EVO SSD 250GB - M.2 SATA drive.

it seems that USB boot is too weak on Pi4 and HA OS now.
Using a 860EVO here and the boot is slower than my good old microsd.

It took 5 minutes here for a complete host reboot.