Installing Home Assistant on a RPi 4b with SSD boot

I tried an old v5.2 (64bit) that worked before on the same pi, but have the same problem. It must be something with the RPi FW updates.

I am having no luck finding any documentation to fix this. HA changes so fast, that all the old solutions that I can find are obsolete. Is the webserver run by one of the docker containers? It doesnā€™t look like it, because none of them have port 8123 mapped.

I donā€™t have any idea where to even look for clues.

Can you boot Raspberry OS?
Did you try to install HA on an SD card?

Yes, I can boot Raspberry OS. I have not tried it recently, but could try it again. With 5.4, I suppose?
edit: moreover, I can ssh into RPiOS without problems.

5.4 does not start. 4.15 does boot up without problem. But I cannot reach that web server either.

And all ports of HA are closed:

$ nmap 192.168.1.86

Starting Nmap 7.60 ( https://nmap.org ) at 2020-10-27 15:36 CDT
Nmap scan report for 192.168.1.86
Host is up (0.0022s latency).
All 1000 scanned ports on 192.168.1.86 are closed

Nmap done: 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0.09 seconds

I canā€™t seem to get my zigbee2mqtt to work on the SSD boot. Not sure if itā€™s a 5.4 issue? Cause it was all working well on 5.2 on my SD card. Even Phoscon doesnā€™t see to work as well.

Going to try a new Hassio on ssd with out restoring to see if i can get it to work.

UPDATE managed to get the Conbee2 to work, I plugged it into a USB hub and into a USB2 port on the rpi and it works! Weird that in 4.15 the conbee2 works plugged directly to the RPI

1 Like

HA is not at all reachable by any port, either by SD card (v4.15) or SSD boot (v5.4). RaspberryOS is fine. I can SSH into it without problem. It does show available ports. If I cannot fix this, I will have abandon HA.

just a remark: HA must download docker images after initial os installation. Hope you know about it, ensuring HA has access to the Internet

Yeah, it seems to have access. I can ping it. I can go inside to # and ping outside. But it doesnā€™t ever seem to get past ā€œsetupā€, which probably means that it is not downloading anything. But why it doesnā€™t, I have no idea. The console complains only about the missing microSD card, and about the lack of IPv6, neither of which should prevent downloading, AFAICT.

So, thanks to Jpsy, I have my RPi 4B (4GB) booting Home Assistant Development Build 5.3 (hassos_rpi4-64-5.3.img.gz) when connected to one of the USB 2 ports.
But when I plug it in to to a USB 3.0 if fails.

After checking James Chamberā€™s compatibility list, I assumed it was the Sabrent SSD Interface I was using at fault.

So I swapped this out for the recommended Eluteng cable. But this hasnā€™t fixed the issue.

I even then applied the firmware update to my Sabrent cable. Which I think successfully updated.
But this still didnā€™t work.

As my SSD is a Kingston A400, which appears on the benchmark list 730 times, so should be compatible, Iā€™m at a total loss as to why this setup isnā€™t booting from the USB 3.0 port.

I can only assume it must be HA at fault here.
I donā€™t have a mini HDMI cable, so canā€™t connect to a monitor right now.

Any suggestions much appreciated, thanks.

I would suggest you try again from scratch, using 5.3, which worked for me. Also try using a USB 2.0 port
if no success with 3.0. But I recall it did take ages for the web page to appear. Then, when I selected to restore from snapshot, that took a veryyyy long time. But all was well in the end, albeit using USB 2.0ā€¦

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, I have tried them all. I gave it 24 houra. I tried 5.2. I tried both USB ports.

Just a wild guess: Is your Pi connected through a LAN cable or through Wifi?
USB3 is known to use similar frequencies as Wifi and sometimes creates heavy interference.

Has anyone successfully used the StarTech 2.5ā€³ SATA to USB 3.0 Adapter? I tried both USB 2 and 3 ports, tried 5.4, 4.13, no go.

Unfortunately the ELUTENG Adapter is not available in my neck of the woods

Looking at https://www.startech.com/en-sg/hdd/usb3s2sat3cb
In the comments someone posted saying he managed to boot on a Rpi4

I am sorry that some of you are experiencing heavy problems with 5.4. I have that version running on my Pi without problems.

From what I found the problems may be connected to a version bump of Piā€™s videocore firmware that came with 5.4. This update has been reverted now but the revert is not yet part of another OS release. See here and here for details.

Important if you are affected by this problem:
From my limited understanding it will not be enough to downgrade the HA OS to 5.3 through shell command / CLI. The videocore firmware is placed on the boot partition. So you need to re-burn your SSD with the full OS 5.3 release image to reset the boot partition too. Maybe @tmm1 can tell us whether I am correct here.

I have the same adapter but no luck either. Tried also with 5.4 and 4.13.

Great suggestion Jorg! Thank you.

Seems this be the issue. Although only USB 3.0 is effected. Wi-Fi seems to work flawlessly.

Hereā€™s my method and findings;

1. Edited config.txt, on the root of the SSD to include the below line, in an attempt to disable the wi-fi adapter.
# disable wlan0
dtoverlay=disable-wifi

This on its own seemed to have no effect.

1. Unpulgged the USB-SSD cable and added in a 0.5m USB 2.0 extension cable.

This has worked, but the boot time seems a couple of minutes longer than just plugging straight in to the USB 2.0 port. So iā€™m assuming that using a USB 2.0 cable, with fewer wires, prevents the interferrence inherent with USB 3.0?

At this point I verified that the wi-fi was in fact disabled by checking the Supervisor > System tab in HA.
Clicking ā€˜Changeā€™ next to IP address no longer gives separate entries for ethernet and wireless.
Also verified that only the ethernet was active and wireless inactive on my router dashboard.

So I now have the SSD booting off a USB 3.0 port finally, but only at USB 2.0 speeds. So no gain and
in fact the loss of a longer boot time.

Iā€™ve ordered a mini-HDMI cable, so I can try to see whatā€™s actually happening during startup, but again any comments and suggestions gratefully received.

EDIT:
Iā€™ve now also tried;

1. A USB 3.0 powered hub - No boot and no lights on the Eluteng adapter even!
  2. A fully USB 3.0 extension cable - No boot again.

So this must be a hardware issue. How can I remove this apparent interference of USB 3.0?
Any why isnā€™t this effecting everyone?
My RPi is a 4B Rev 1.2.

BTW. Not sure if relevant, but looking in the Glances web UI, the SSD is registered as ā€œsda8ā€.

Thanks
John

I am seeing such inexplicable behavior now. I had boot-from-SSD running fine on my RPi4B with v5.2 for a couple of months. Somehow the system got corrupted, and not working properly. Eventually, it wouldnā€™t even boot. None of the fixes worked, so I tried fresh install with 5.4. The whole time I used the Startech cable to my Kingston drive.

I could boot fine from the SSD, but v5.4 didnā€™t seem to download what it needed to complete the installation. I tried v5.2 and v5.3. I went back to trying to boot from the microSD and the same thing happens. Sounds like network issues. But I can ping 1.1.1.1 from the cli in hassos, so it is reaching outside. I can successfully install Raspberrypi OS 64bit.

I am completely stumped and have not had HA working for a week. I have started researching OpenHAB, because I have no other choice.

@intositeme sounds like the a result of this rPi issue.
If you see this in dmesg:

[218593.338515] mmc0: sdhci: ============ SDHCI REGISTER DUMP ===========

Itā€™s likely a result of the system continuously trying the SD card slot. To fix: on your boot partition (/dev/sda1), edit the config.txt file. Change this line:

# Uncomment to disable continous SD-card poll (for USB SSD)
#dtparam=sd_poll_once=on

to:

# Uncomment to disable continous SD-card poll (for USB SSD)
dtparam=sd_poll_once=on

It should resolve the issue.

Thanks. But where do i find this config.txt file?