Installing Home Assistant on a RPi 4b with SSD boot

Did you install the 64-bit image? I plugged my UGREEN 3.1 Gen 2 case with a Samsung 830 SSD into the USB 3 port on my Pi 4GB. 32-bit image resulted in a black screen.

Just curious, do all USB 3.0 cables cause interference with bluetooth including braided cables? Using Bluetooth Presence tracker, and noticed the range was extremely bad. I then used my USB 2.0 C cable from my phone, plugged it into the SSD and into the USB 3 port, and the interference was gone.

Would braided USB 3.0 cables be worth it for the SSD or does it suffer from interference as well?

The main problem is coming from the USB3.0 port, using braided cable doesnā€™t help much to improve the bluetooth signal. This is because the bluetooth chipset is built on board and with small footprint of the RPi4 board, the USB3.0 port and the bluetooth chipset is close and causing the interference.

USB3.0 will interfere everything that operates at 2.4GHz. If you really want to improve the bluetooth stability, donā€™t use the built in bluetooth, instead, use esp32 board with esphome for presence tracker.

Ah, thanks. Probably try looking for a esp32board in the future. Tried the top port and moved the SSD further away from the Pi, it did improve the bluetooth range.

Just went back to using the regular USB C cable instead of the USB3.1 that the enclosure came with. Iā€™ll lose a bit of speed, but everything seems stable so far. Iā€™m just doing some automations, presence detection, nothing intensive.

Hi, did anyone updated the operating system from 5.12 to 5.13 from the supervisor with an RPI4 8GB fully booting on SSD succesfully please ? Thanks

Yes, it works well on my Rpi4 8GB boot SSD

1 Like

Works for me too on RPi 8Gb with full SSD boot.

1 Like

Funny, itā€™s even the same SSD :slight_smile:
Yes I used the 64 bit image.

No progress. Took me about 5 hours of pain and Smart Home downtime for zero success.

Not sure where to start to sort things outā€¦

Maybe attaching a screen is not a bad idea to see whatā€™s happening on the console.

Is there a documentation for the lights codes of the Pi? Maybe that points me into a certain direction. Really, pretty lost over here. :frowning:

This was the guide that I followed.

Also make sure you updated the Piā€™s firmware to the latest build. Should be March 18 or 19 2021 build (canā€™t remember). Donā€™t restore from a microSD snapshot. Start clean. Yeah, plug the Pi into a monitor or TV. You also know Home Assistant is loading when the blue led is blinking rapidly on the enclosure.

Hello everyone, I wanted to share my experience with you, about a year ago I went from SD to SSD, the peripherals are Asenno 120GB SSD and JMicron adapter, the machine is a 4 GB Raspberry 4, in short I had a lot of problems of instability, continuous blocks, freezing, if I restarted the RPI many times it would not start anymore forcing me to format everything, I ran all the possible guides without results, I was so disheartened that after almost 5 years of HA I wanted to switch to another system. Then one evening by mistake I inverted the USB port of the SSD, instead of in 3.0 I inserted it in the normal one, result? itā€™s been two months since everything is perfect no blocking I carry out continuous restarts without any problem and the whole system runs very fast and perfectly stable. P.S. the DeconzII key is positioned close without interfering. this is my personal experience.

Hey all, so Iā€™ve just successfully (ish) done this migration with RPi4 and WD Green SATA with Benfei adaptor. Home Assistant is running and Iā€™ve restored my backup. However, I have a couple of issues. Any thoughts? Thanks!

1. Iā€™m getting errors saying that the recorder canā€™t be set up and Iā€™ve got errors in my MariaDB add-on log (Unknown/unsupported storage engine: InnoD ). RESOLVED: MariaDB doesnā€™t seem to restore well from snapshot. Uninstalling and reinstalling the add-on fixed the problem.

2. Also my Deconz devices arenā€™t working properly - the lights show up but canā€™t be controlled. And the sensors (Aqara) all show as Unavailable. Also when I log on to the Phoscon interface it says no devices are paired (but they are there if I boot from SD).

Uninstall Mariadb and reinstall. The DB is corrupt.

2 Likes

Use USB extension cable for Deconz.

Hi Jpsy,
Iā€™m running on a 250B Sandisk SSD. I know itā€™s overkill but I had one lying around. HA runs so much faster. The moment you will appreciate its speed when rebooting etc. It is so much more faster. For day to day things it doesnā€™t seem faster but when you have loads of pages you will notice and appreciate the speed.
My adviceā€¦run HA on an SSD. Youā€™ll have much more fun :slight_smile:

Regards,
Ron

1 Like

Thanks for this tutorial, very usefull. My RPi 4 with a ssd boots well (1st picture) but I am unable to connect with my browserā€¦ (2nd picture)
Any idea of the issue ? Thx

ā€¦but I can connect with oberver url. :sob:

Tried to flash my ssd with balenaetcher instead of rpi imager andā€¦
ā€¦ it works !
:sweat_smile: :grinning:

1 Like

Thanks this sorted the mariaDB issue

So Iā€™ve tried this but itā€™s still not working. Itā€™s weird, when I go back to my SD card, all works fine with Deconz. But when I USB boot (even with drive plugged into USB2 with and conbee with extension) everything is either unavailable or behaving oddly (states of lights not matching up to reality). Also, when I log into the Deconz portal with USB booted, it says ā€œadd your first lightā€ as if thereā€™s nothing pairedā€¦ but then when I use SD I log in and everything is thereā€¦ any ideas?

Hi All,

Also wanted to share my experiences here.

Iā€™m running HA on a

RaspberryPi4 4GB (rev 1.1)
Kingston A400 SSD SA400S37/120G
Startech 3.0 USB cable.

Latest eeprom.

In the beginning I had a al of freezes and started to try different set-ups.

1. I started with docker in Raspberry OS 32bit, but wanted the add-on shop to work so played around with

2. Supervised on Raspberry OS 32bit. Unfortunately I had a lot of freezes. Too unstable for me, so changed again.

3. Took the dedicated HA version with the img of HA, but wanted to use the RPI with an HDMI touch screen connected. This is not possible, so not a chance.

4. Supervised on Debian 64bit (the official supported),
    no freezes, add-on shop, but difficult to get all the RPI optimized stuff (need to use the GPIOā€™s, turn the HDMI screen, want to use VNC). All the things are possible, but just work out of the box in Raspberry OS.

5. Supervised on Raspberry OS 64(beta),
    Using this tutorial, but then with the above RaspberryOS 64bit image.
    !! You have to use ā€œsudoā€ before every command!!

No freezes!
Add-on shop
all the raspberry OS features out of the box.
Even no warning in Supervisor as it is supported!
Iā€™m now super happy with a system running with the fast SSD and all the things Supervisor and Raspberry OS offer.

Hope this helps a bit for people who are on the same road.