Installing Home Assistant on a RPi 4b with SSD boot

I have idea that it might be caused by change from 32bit to 64bit system. I know a lot of databases have storage files relying on system/cpu architecture

@Jpsy while you did mention what adaptor you used I donā€™t see you mention what SSD device you used. Itā€™s possibly buried among all the replies.

Might be best to lock this thread and update it yourself when the need arises.

Itā€™s a Crucial BX500 with 120Gb. But I really donā€™t know whether the SSD type matters.

I am starting everything from scratch. There is some progress but one issue that I cannot resolve. I can boot up from the SSD, and it starts the installation. I can even get the webserver that says it is installing. However, after a few minutes it starts throwing errors that all look like they come from running out of space on the SSD when it is downloading the docker containers.

This lack of space was surprising, because the SSD is 112GB. I looked at the partitions under gparted, and it uses only 2GB when flashed with HA. The remaining 110GB of the drive are left unallocated. I have tried a bunch of different things to get around this issue, but without success. From the RPi4B itself, I have used balena etcher and rpi imager. Each one uses only small partitions (e.g, hassos-data is 1GB, which is the biggest). I have tried expanding the data partition using gparted after flashing. When I do that the RPi finds no boot partition to boot from. I have tried with 5.2, 5.3 and 5.4. I did the all same things from my ubuntu desktop, but also using Startup Disk Creator.

This is using the startech adapter and a kingston drive.

It probably doesnā€™t till it does if you know what I mean :joy:

Thereā€™s so much confusion on the web with this subject. At least I have a combination of what does work so Iā€™ll work on that basis.

Thanks again for the write up.

@Jpsy I see today version 5.5 has been released - I have tried following the instructions in the first post to update from CLI (I have successfully performed this previous to 5.4) however today there is an error:

I have checked the supervisor log and see the following:

20-11-11 13:13:37 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.homeassistant.api] Updated Home Assistant API token
20-11-11 13:17:58 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.api.security] /os/update access from a0d7b954_ssh
20-11-11 13:17:58 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.hassos] Fetch OTA update from https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/releases/download/5.5/hassos_rpi4-64-5.5.raucb

I can see the what the issue is:

Previous version update file was titled

hassos_rpi4-64-5.4.raucb

However on the update webpage there is not a file titled (as expected by the update)

hassos_rpi4-64-5.5.raucb

I see the new file name is now:

hassos_rpi4-5.5.raucb

(new file is missing ā€˜-64ā€™)
Is there a way to change the update file on the CLI pull?

EDIT: I have just posted the question on the GitHub site; asking if there is no more RPI 64 bit (previously I found 32 bit to not work on SSD) - post found here:

1 Like

Same problem here!
Letā€™s see what the answer to your issue report will be.

1 Like

@Jpsy Im pleased im not the only one with this issue.
When I tried 32bit version of 5.x previously, none would boot on SSD even after updating firmware to latest versions

Fresh install of 5.5 allowed me to go much further than the previous versions. It installed without complaint on the second attempt. However, when I try to restore my backup there are problems. My log goes fine until I get an endless loop of:

NetworkError when attempting to fetch resource.TypeError:

@Jpsy give it a try now. The 64bit file is now in the assets list. Running the command to update did not fail this time and currently my RPI is rebooting, supposedly with 5.5 installed :crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers::crossed_fingers:

@jds are you doing a restore at the point of first boot of HA? Or are you doing a full clean install and then doing a restore once HA has loaded?

That log is at first boot. I also tried the other way, but it just hangs also.

EDIT: after shutting down (ungracefully) and rebooting, it still acts like it has never finished installing, and asking for name, etc. If I try now to upload the tar file to restore, I get 502 Bad Gateway

I might try from scratch again by reflashing the SSD.

@jds stupid question, but do you have any other sticks plugged into your RPI? Zigbee stick for instance?

No other sticks. Just a BT to connect my keyboard sometimes.

I just re-flashed and tried again, but now it is hanging up in trying to download home assistant 0.117.5. I get 500 Server Error

@jds - sorry, for the BT to connect keyboard, is that a stick? If so, try adding it via a long USB extension cable. I got so many problems to start with due to the zigbee stick being on a short cable (couple of CM). Moving this 2m away takes the electrical interference away that causes issue for the SSD controller.

Do you really need a BT keyboard connected? Pays to do it all via SSH on a remote system so you might be able to drop BT altogether

No, I donā€™t really need the BT for the keyboard, and it is rarely there. The problems show up even if it is never connected. For example, I just (again) reflashed 5.5 onto the SSD, plugged it into the RPi, powered it on, and never connected the keyboard. It is still hanging up trying to download 0.117.5. Note that this is over a wired ethernet connector.

@jds I know there is a list of recommended SSD controllers - is your controller on that list? Also, from personal expereinece the firmware on my USB/SSD controller needed updating - might that be an issue?

Works like a charm now. Iā€™m on 5.5 with no obvious problems. Thanks for the heads up!

Yes, it is on the list. It is the StarTech 3.1 (https://www.startech.com/en-us/hdd/usb312sat3cb). I have not updated the firmware. They have one on their website, but it requires windows. It is supposedly only about adding trim support. At any rate, I donā€™t think that the problem is related to using the SSD drive. It is really bothersome that it is now a different problem this time around, about just downloading the docker image. I should probably not clog up this post any longer. Unfortunately, it is confirming my experience with HA being very unstable.

Thatā€™s the same controller I have. But before I used it the first time I did update the firmware to be on the safe side. I also have a Crucial SSD that was on the list