Installing Home Assistant OS using Proxmox 8

My HAOS is looping through “Connection lost. Reconnecting…” about every 30 seconds. When it reconnects, it doesn’t display any startup messages, so HA isn’t actually restarting in these instances, it simply loses connection.

Everything works normally after I install the HA VM and restore from a backup that was made on a different machine. However, once I try to set the static IP–either through HAOS Settings > System > Network, or by assigning the IP through my OPNSense router–then the Connection loop begins. If I try to revert the static IP changes, the connection loop persists. The only solution I’ve found is deleting the VM and starting over.

I am running Proxmox v8.1.3 on a Topton n100. OPNSense is running in a VM on the same machine. HAOS Supervisor 2023.11.6 with CORE OS 2023.11.2. I did run the Post PVE Install and microcode Scripts to update the Proxmox server. I also updated the interntal_url property in the HA config.

Can anyone think of what could be going wrong here and where I should look to troubleshoot? Technically HA is working, but reconnecting every 30 seconds is really annoying.

Edit: I changed the static IP and everything appears to be working now. There must have been a conflict with the IP I was using.

I’m new to Proxmox, and working on switching my old install of Home Assistant over to a new-to-me (old Dell R710) rack server. When I run the HA install script, it fails to create the VM, but I’m unsure how to troubleshoot the error in the Proxmox Shell.

Any ideas on how to address the error in the screenshot?

[ERROW] in line 426: exit code 5: while executing command pvesm alloc $storage $vmid $disk0 4M >&/dev/null

Here’s an older post that may help.

Edit: or, Home Assistant OS fail · Issue #885 · tteck/Proxmox · GitHub

Hello @tteck ,

I have a Proxmox node with the latest PVE-Version running. I use a lot of your LXC-Container but only the Hass-Installation makes me wonder.

From time to time (sometimes once per day or once per week/month) I cannot connect to my HASS-Instance:

If I check the Proxmox-WebUi everything seems fine:

The VM makes a Backup every 24h firstly I used the stop method. After some time I switched to snapshot this helped a little bit. I am now quite lost and I don’t know which things are the problem on this VM. The VM has 6GB of ram and 2 cores assigned which is more than enough (Hass is really snappy).

Please let me know which things could cause such a behaviour.

The error with the domain “NSURLErrorDomain” and error code -1004 is associated with networking in Apple’s platforms, such as iOS and macOS.

2 Likes

Yeah I use iOS. I changed now the ip in the router and set it to a fixed ip. Let’s see if this fixes something. Do you have any other suggestions?

Edit: see here this is a possible solution: NSURLErrorDomain - 1004 - #29 by MrNickIE

But for me this is not clear I use a Wireguard vpn for accessing my instance. The issue is the same if I use my local WiFi. I have to figure it out.

EDIT 2: Also Mobile Data has this feature, so it might be a good try to disable it.

Hello @tteck ,

today my Instance is again offline the error is the same. But now the console seems weird / like a crash. Do you have an idea what caused that?

The Proxmox node runs totally fine…

This falls outside the purview of this thread, as it is unrelated to the installation of Home Assistant on Proxmox. I recommend initiating a new topic for this discussion.

1 Like

Where can i find this guide?

You are posting in the guide thread

Yes i know, and this thread is huge, so i thought to look into the guide first before reading the whole thread of which i basically don’t understand most of it…

Its the first post :slight_smile:

Hi there, so I am trying to make a VM in Proxmox with the script but…
I usually delete local-lvm storage…

So while running the script it says “Unable to detect a valid storage location”
How to modify the script to point to local instead of local-lvm?

Thanks in advance

Ask NetworkChuck. Seriously, it’s not the script that needs modified, it’s your storage needs to define where to store Disk image and Container.
BTW, deleting local-lvm is NOT a smart move.

2 Likes

hi
first of all, thanks for the scrips they worked fine for me and I was successfully able to move home assistant to proxmox, all works great but remote access is not working for me, when I try to use Duckdns it warns connection is not secured, I have to press “proceed anyway” and I also am not able to access my mobile app I think bcz of the same reasion. duckdns was working well on pi. am i missing anything hear, please i appreciate your help. thanks in advance

Hi, you know (or not) that duckdns is just a tool to help you to be able to use the same hostname to connect to your system, instead of a WAN-IP that also might change regularly.
Your problem has nothing to do with Proxmox, even though it appeared when moving HA to it, so you’re not in the right thread for this.

What happens when you presss ‘proceed anyway’?
Did the IP address of your HA stay the same as before on the RPi?
If not: is your port configuration in your router correct?

Hi, I’m using proxmox 8.1.4 and as i wanted to try out pcie passthrough so I’m trying to create the vm as an q35 instance through the advance option. I’m getting guest has not initialized the display(yet) when doing so, I’ve tried to create with i440fx instance aligning the other option and it works. wondering if there’s other people having the same issue as me.

No issue here.

Hello, I have successfully installed HA on Proxmox following the instructions here.

An issue I have noticed, which promoted me to fully re-install the proxmox instance, is that after I do an upgrade, my home assistant instance reboots itself about half an hour after it comes back up.

When I look for a reason, after the random reboot recovers and HA is running again, is that USB devices do not seem to passed through - for example Zigbee, Z-Wave and Bluetooth fail to initialize. In order to recover the situation I have to go to the proxmox box and hard re-boot the thing using the power switch.

I have also tried to reboot the VM within Proxmox but that too fails:

TASK ERROR: VM quit/powerdown failed

and

()
trying to acquire lock...
TASK ERROR: can't lock file '/var/lock/qemu-server/lock-100.conf' - got timeout

I have passed through the USB devices (bluetooth, zigbee and z-wave). I was hoping a complete re-install would resolve this issue but alas it has returned.

Has anyone else encountered this issue or has any advice to share?

I’ve not seen that however I’d be surprised if that cased a HA reboot rather than just extra (error) logging. Possibly a bad connection doing it rather than incompatibility or lack of detection.

That said, I have had some issues after a restore getting the BlueTooth dongle to read properly, but I changed the hardware passthrough a few times and eventually the errors stopped and never returned.

It’s slightly different to your linked instructions, but here’s how mine are now mapped - USB port rather than relying on proxmox to detect the device:

When I did mine, this was the guide I used and have had no issues.
Although In ours I gave it more disk, 6Gb RAM and 4 cores to use.

1 Like