Installing Home Assistant OS using Proxmox 8

Hi, you know (or not) that duckdns is just a tool to help you to be able to use the same hostname to connect to your system, instead of a WAN-IP that also might change regularly.
Your problem has nothing to do with Proxmox, even though it appeared when moving HA to it, so you’re not in the right thread for this.

What happens when you presss β€˜proceed anyway’?
Did the IP address of your HA stay the same as before on the RPi?
If not: is your port configuration in your router correct?

Hi, I’m using proxmox 8.1.4 and as i wanted to try out pcie passthrough so I’m trying to create the vm as an q35 instance through the advance option. I’m getting guest has not initialized the display(yet) when doing so, I’ve tried to create with i440fx instance aligning the other option and it works. wondering if there’s other people having the same issue as me.

No issue here.

Hello, I have successfully installed HA on Proxmox following the instructions here.

An issue I have noticed, which promoted me to fully re-install the proxmox instance, is that after I do an upgrade, my home assistant instance reboots itself about half an hour after it comes back up.

When I look for a reason, after the random reboot recovers and HA is running again, is that USB devices do not seem to passed through - for example Zigbee, Z-Wave and Bluetooth fail to initialize. In order to recover the situation I have to go to the proxmox box and hard re-boot the thing using the power switch.

I have also tried to reboot the VM within Proxmox but that too fails:

TASK ERROR: VM quit/powerdown failed

and

()
trying to acquire lock...
TASK ERROR: can't lock file '/var/lock/qemu-server/lock-100.conf' - got timeout

I have passed through the USB devices (bluetooth, zigbee and z-wave). I was hoping a complete re-install would resolve this issue but alas it has returned.

Has anyone else encountered this issue or has any advice to share?

I’ve not seen that however I’d be surprised if that cased a HA reboot rather than just extra (error) logging. Possibly a bad connection doing it rather than incompatibility or lack of detection.

That said, I have had some issues after a restore getting the BlueTooth dongle to read properly, but I changed the hardware passthrough a few times and eventually the errors stopped and never returned.

It’s slightly different to your linked instructions, but here’s how mine are now mapped - USB port rather than relying on proxmox to detect the device:

When I did mine, this was the guide I used and have had no issues.
Although In ours I gave it more disk, 6Gb RAM and 4 cores to use.

1 Like

Thinking about it, the only time I’ve seen HA force a reboot was when I had an automation that caught itself in a loop and as a result it eventually consumed all the RAM and then HA rebooted itself.

Perhaps try a fresh HA install and leave it vanilla for a while to see if HA still reboots with nothing set up?

The 2 times I had issues that caused HA to reboot back when I was a noob :smiley:

1. Typo in the Raw Config Editor

2. Memory Leak caused by bad logic

1 Like

Hey thanks for that. I am not sure that the USB detection is causing the re-boot TBO. Just that it happens when those USB relyant integrations fail to load.

Yes, I am passing through via the vendor / device ID. Think I’ll give your suggestion of mapping them via ports a try.

Thanks for your suggestion and advice. It’s appreciated.

Hey an update on this issue i was having, I had to remove the EFI disk and re-add one with Pre-Enroll keys unchecked, and the vm boots normal with q35 set.

1 Like

The script does not enable Pre-Enroll keys:

When i go to a shell and put in this line nothing happens, it just stays on the line for 5 seconds and go next line:

bash -c "$(wget -qLO - https://github.com/tteck/Proxmox/raw/main/vm/haos-vm.sh)

Anyone know how to fix this?

It seems that you’re facing a network problem, probably linked to DNS.

Thanks, this was indeed the problem.

:rotating_light: The scripts mentioned here will no longer provide support for Proxmox VE 7 starting from July 2024 (scripts will not execute on PVE7). Subsequent Proxmox VE - Support Lifecycle

1 Like

Starting today (2024-02-06), the scripts will only work with PVE7 Version 7.4-13 or later, or PVE8 Version 8.1.1 or later.

4 Likes

Great guide.
I used it to install Proxmox and then HA.
I noticed that add ons are not there.
I thought the script installed HAOS which has add ons.
What am missing here?.

It does install HA OS.

So should add-ons be present?

Looking at
Installation - Home Assistant, it shows that add-ons are available on HAOS and Supervised .

Settings - - - > Add-ons

3 Likes

I installed using @tteck’s script yesterday, and addons a definitely in the normal place (per @kanga_who’s post)

3 Likes

how many times !!! Do not do this sort of thing with only 3hrs sleep.
Apologies, my old HA setup had Add-ons on the sidebar and I wrongly assumed that this was just missing.