Installing Home Assistant OS using Proxmox 8

yes, just followed the instructions at the top of this Topic, just saw now in the HA-installscript, it seems to require 7.2 ? if [ `pveversion | grep “pve-manager/7.2”

ohh that was fast :slight_smile: … cool :slight_smile:

Im looking so much forward to this, im so fed upp with VMware in Windows, well it works flawless, But MICROSOFT !!!, i just dont feel i have any control over my hardware, and their constant forced reboots :slight_smile:

Thanks a lot for your work tteck.
Just did migrate from an old rpi3 to Proxmox and your script saved me so much time :pray:

1 Like

Not sure it requires v7.2 as I installed it a few days ago and have v7.3-4 installed

1 Like

tteck fixed the install-script faster than i could reply :wink: , so it’s from v7.2 > 3–

Im not sure how yo manage to “jump over” that part in the script

Hey, did you managed to fix that? Happend to me today.

Yup ! Setting up a new VM with the latest version of the script fixed things for me. The bootdisk size had to be adjusted as well, I hadn’t realized that I had allocate too much space for my VMs.

Looking at the host logs contained enough info for spotting what was causing the issue, in my case.

Thank, this how-to was great. I just have two notes that caused me a lot of pain (enough to attempt to re-install HAOS 3 times before finally finding something helpful in the forums):

1. This may be related to the bigger issue below, but when HAOS booted, it had no primary NTP server(s) defined (and only a single Cloudflare server for the fallback), and so everytime it booted hung on the time sync step and never completed it.

2. Booting up HAOS with IPv6 enabled caused a whole lot of breakage, the worst of which were initialization timeouts of the Nest integration that seemed to then roll over into all sorts of other add-on failures. I couldn’t disable/delete the integration either, because it hadn’t yet completed initialization :confused: . Anyway, see here for the hint that finally unstuck me.

Cheers!

Hi, is it possible to reduce the default 32GB storage? I know it is thin provisioned but my system has little storage space available.

I tried installing the HaOS image directly in Proxmox by booting a Ubuntu VM on a virtual disk, then installed Balena Etcher and wrote the HaOS image on another virtual disk.

I tried booting using this virtual disk with HaOS, but it got stucked on this line “switching to clock source tsc”.

IF you don’t have tons of devices/integrations, AND you have control over your “Recorder”, purge-interwall etc. … then Sure … i recently install another HAos, WM , i did assign some 40GB, but currently my .vmdk isis about 16gb, and assigned nvram 2gb … but my(this) homeassistant.db never grows bigger than 300MB, that way you have some control over your system, … if your logfiles grows uncontrolled, then i don’t know what you are doing :slight_smile:
EDIT: But if im not wrong, then will ProxMox accept USB-Sticks as virtual-disk, or any usb-drive for that matter( an old 3.5" HDD )

No, the HAOS disk image sets minimum 32gb.

You don’t mean installed unbuntu on proxmox ?, why not creat a boot-dvd, or usb-stick, with tools such as Balalena etc. etc. , don’t create virtuall disks for such, have a disk in your “draver” for when ever you need to boot another device, for either disk-manage, , recovery, fix etc

I actually tried booting HaOS (in a VM) using a USB stick that was passed to the VM, and it worked.

I am looking for a better solution because the server only has 2 USB ports (its a mini NUC-like box). My solution (using Balena Etcher to write the image on a virtual disk) almost worked, maybe I should use IDE/SATA interface for the virtual disk instead of VirtIO SCSI Single

This may be related to the bigger issue below, but when HAOS booted, it had no primary NTP server(s) defined (and only a single Cloudflare server for the fallback), and so everytime it booted hung on the time sync step and never completed it.

I’m having this issue as well. How did you fix it? As far as I can see IPv6 isn’t enabled here.

Hi there. I installed HAOS 9.4 on Proxmox v7.3-4 on a Beelink mini-pc mod. SER5 5560U with 2 NICs 1x Realtek GB lan and 1x Mediatek wifi 6 network card.
My goal is to use HA that uses the wifi network card instead the ethernet.
The problem is that Proxmox doesn’t recognize the wifi card. Indeed it doesn’t appear in the Proxmox network panel. Only the ethernet card appears.
After many attempts to configure /etc/network/interfaces file in Proxmox in order to properly setup both network cards (ethernet and wifi), I gave up since there wasn’t a way to get the wifi card recognized and fully set up.
Reading many posts on Proxmox forum, I decided to PCIe pass through the wifi network card. But before doing so, I’ve also updated the Proxmox kernel to v. 6.1.2-1-pve to get an updated kernel to better support the mt7921 cards.
Then, I’ve installed a new HA vm but at the boot it doesn’t recognize the wifi network card and therefore no IPv4 address has been released. Reading this forum I’ve also unsuccessfully tried to force the network set up by loggin in into ha prompt and manually managed the network setup.
The funny side of the story is that installing a new wm in Proxmox with MX Linux distro (based on Debian) having also setup docker and then HA, HA works well! But this kind of installation is heavy RAM consuming.

Now, stepping back my HA vm, is there anything am I missing there?

A side note: the HA vm has been setup in Proxmox by launching the script I found in this discussion thread (just to avoid any installation issues)

Thank you for the help

1 Like

Hello everyone!

I’m running Hassos from @tteck scrip on Proxmox 7.3 and I’m having constant crashes. Here are a few screenshots I’ve grabbed when they happened:

Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks!

Machine specs?

Hello! Thanks for the reply. Here are a few screenshots:

PVE:

HassOS VM:

I’ve recently changed the processor to qemu64 to see if it helps, since I believe there’s something to do with the CPU threads.

I’m also experiencing high RAM usage:

In HA, my RAM usage is OK:

Not sure if it is related.

Thanks a lot!

I really meant "machine spec", something like i5-8350U, 1TB SSD, 32GB RAM

Edit: I see N5095 CPU, there lies the problem

I’d try Installing Home Assistant OS using Proxmox 7 - #790 by tteck

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll give a try with this Kernel. I did tried the edge kernel using your script, but rolled back because of the weird behavior of some other machines I have running here. I’ll let you know if it solves my problems.

1 Like