Installing Home Assistant Supervised on a Raspberry Pi using Debian 12

You have misquoted the OP.

I do not state that the method of installation is headless.

This aside, if you wish to go outside the scope of the guide and not follow its process by all means do so, if you do, this guide is not the place for your commentary and you are welcome to move along.

1 Like

And my statement is 100% correct as you have said you had to install sudo!! Sudo is normally installed as part of the installation IF you don’t set a root password. So you get 0/10 for reading comprehension

1 Like

Sorry - I stand corrected. Just read the sentence in full and makes sense now.

Just tried this again and did not set a password for root - first boot of raspberry pi debian and no sudo installed.

FYI, there is no installation as such so it doesn’t prompt for root password. You just burn the debian image to your boot device and boot from it.

I agree with you that the discussion about root is futile.

Firstly, root is the only account available at boot and so there should be no discussion as to whether it should be active or not.

Secondly, I didn’t bring up the discussion about whether we should have root or not root - it was brought up when people told me that I should not activate root.

I’m sorry if I sounded a bit harsh in my previous comments but I just don’t know why I’m getting criticism from people when in fact, I didn’t start the discussion of root. This whole guide needs root to set up the system and, if anything, kalemba brought up the discussion about getting remote root access and there was no criticism when he made his statement. There was no one saying that he shouldn’t be going outside the boundaries of this guide or you shouldn’t be doing that. Nada. So please explain why my reply to his reply is such an issue.

So you installed a debian live image and didn’t install from the ISO file then?

This is for a Raspberry Pi. For Raspberry Pis that is the default method for installing most operating systems. Burn an image and boot from it. No installation process. I wouldn’t even call it a live image - it’s the actual operating system. It’s like taking an image of your hard drive once you’ve installed everything on it and then burning onto another identical system. Maybe that’s where the confusion lies.

Some configuration is possible after burning and before booting by editing files but otherwise configuration is done after boot.

Don’t get it wrong. It is about how you personally did install HA Supervised on your RPI where you did not follow the guidance of the OP of this thread. This is certainly okay, there are many ways to install Debian. But then again please don’t post about problems or possible solutions in regards to your experiences about your installation method within this very thread. It might just confuse other users who are following this guide.

1 Like

Hi,

I successfully installed Debian 12 and HA Supervised on Raspberry Pi 4 using this guide. Thanks a lot. Still I have an issue with Raspberry Pi Power Supply Checker. When I try to add this integration in HA I get an error:

Can't find the system class needed for this component, make sure that your kernel is recent and the hardware is supported

So the sensor binary_sensor.rpi_power_status is missing in HA. Could you advise where I should look for logs to troubleshoot the issue please?

After update using this manual: ALL works, thanks

Thank you for confirming :+1:t3:

Does anybody have a similar issue with Raspberry Pi Power Supply Checker? Trying to understand if it’s a common/known issue or I need to dig into my Raspberry Pi 4 deeper…

I have been running through the install process quite smoothly till 2.1, unfortunately I am not able to get connected to “get.docker.dom” see command and response below.

root@rpi4-20230612:~# curl -fsSL get.docker.com | sh
curl: (6) Could not resolve host: get.docker.com
root@rpi4-20230612:~#

Would you be able to resolve this issue?

I am running Debian 12 on Rasberry PI 4 on SSD 256 GB.

I am sure this post will help to resolve that issue.

Were you ever able to figure out the DNS issues? I tried the reply below your comment by Tamsy but no luck.

Hi Tamsy, apparently there seems to be an issue with “systemd-resolved” on my machine.

Please find below the string I have copied into the terminal:
“apt install apparmor jq wget curl udisks2 libglib2.0-bin network-manager dbus lsb-release systemd-journal-remote systemd-resolved -y”

Once I replaced the string by:

“apt-get install
apparmor
jq
wget
curl
udisks2
libglib2.0-bin
network-manager
dbus
systemd-journal-remote -y”

I was able to continue the installation with internet access.

Btw I kept on receiving errors in the Home Assistant Supervised version so I have decided to go with a Ubuntu / docker / docker compose / home Assistant (regular) setup which is working fine as we speak.

Thanks and regards,

Allard

Hi Slog,

As far as I am concerned the issue has been driven by the code. See my response to Tamsy a minute ago.

DNS has been working fine.

Regards,

Allard

Thanks for the information.

@kanga_who, mind to take a look into this?

Whats going on here? I make a clrear installation on my raspberry pi 4 8gb debian 12
and when i reach that part:

curl -fsSL get.docker.com | sh

i get that errors:

xxx@xx:~$ ping google.com
ping: google.com: Temporary failure in name resolution
xxx@xxx:~$ ^C
xxx@xxx:~$ cat /etc/resolv.conf
domain localdomain
search localdomain.
nameserver 8.8.8.8
nameserver 8.8.4.4
xxx@xxx:~$ curl -fsSL get.docker.com | sh
curl: (6) Could not resolve host: get.docker.com
xxx@xxx:~$ ^C
xxx@xxx:~$

Its connected via Ethernet on network i also tried with sudo but nothing!

I fixed the above problem and now stuck on prepairing home assistant i get that log and go to loop:

23-09-06 23:59:21 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.fixup] Starting system autofix at state running
23-09-06 23:59:21 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.fixup] System autofix complete
23-09-07 00:01:20 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.misc.tasks] Watchdog miss API response from Home Assistant
23-09-07 00:03:20 ERROR (MainThread) [supervisor.misc.tasks] Watchdog found a problem with Home Assistant API!
23-09-07 00:03:20 ERROR (MainThread) [supervisor.misc.tasks] Home Assistant watchdog reanimation failed!

and on command promt i get this:

sudo dpkg -i homeassistant-supervised.deb
(Reading database ... 42254 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack homeassistant-supervised.deb ...
[warn]
[warn] If you want more control over your own system, run
[warn] Home Assistant as a VM or run Home Assistant Core
[warn] via a Docker container.
[warn]
[warn] ModemManager service is enabled. This might cause issue when using serial devices.
Leaving 'diversion of /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf to /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.real by homeassistant-supervised'
Leaving 'diversion of /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/default to /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/default.real by homeassistant-supervised'
Leaving 'diversion of /etc/docker/daemon.json to /etc/docker/daemon.json.real by homeassistant-supervised'
Leaving 'diversion of /etc/network/interfaces to /etc/network/interfaces.real by homeassistant-supervised'
Unpacking homeassistant-supervised (1.5.0) over (1.5.0) ...
Setting up homeassistant-supervised (1.5.0) ...
[info] Restarting NetworkManager
[info] Restarting docker service
PING checkonline.home-assistant.io (104.26.4.238) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 104.26.4.238 (104.26.4.238): icmp_seq=1 ttl=59 time=16.4 ms

--- checkonline.home-assistant.io ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 16.371/16.371/16.371/0.000 ms
[info] Install supervisor startup scripts
[info] Install AppArmor scripts
[info] Start Home Assistant Supervised
[info] Installing the 'ha' cli
[info] Within a few minutes you will be able to reach Home Assistant at:
[info] http://homeassistant.local:8123 or using the IP address of your
[info] machine: http://192.168.1.15:8123
root@Raspi:/usr/local/src#