Installing Home Assistant Supervised on a Raspberry Pi using Debian 12

Look at the title of this thread. It states …with Debian 11

The instructions in this thread are for Debian Linux 11 aka Bullseye (no derivatives).

Raspbian GNU/Linux 11 is a derivative.

on raspbian/raspiOS you should use

sudo sed -i 's/$/systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=false/' /boot/cmdline.txt

But as @Tamsy says, this guide is ONLY for vanilla Debian 11, not Raspbian, raspiOS or any other derivatives.

Run sudo -i first and then sudo echo "systemd.unified_cgroup_hierarchy=false" > /etc/default/grub

1 Like

I have been using HA Supervised on a Pi 4 with Raspberry OS for about a year now since Buster which was just beta in it’s 64-bit form back then and it was quite easy and has been super stable… Given that 64-bit is now a stable release I re-installed everything recently using Bullseye and again, super easy, shows as a suported installation, stable, etc.

I was wondering, what is the benefit is using pure Debian on a Pi vs Raspberry OS? Is it just a personal preference thing?

1 Like

I’m using Debian 11 and I’m getting this in the journal on Raspberry Pi 2:

May 06 08:46:03 hass-home 5c21135d7e79[440]: 22-05-06 10:46:03 INFO (SyncWorker_1) [supervisor.docker.interface] No version found for ghcr.io/home-assistant/armv7-hassio-cli
May 06 08:46:03 hass-home hassio-supervisor[652]: 22-05-06 10:46:03 INFO (SyncWorker_1) [supervisor.docker.interface] No version found for ghcr.io/home-assistant/armv7-hassio-cli
May 06 08:46:03 hass-home 5c21135d7e79[440]: 22-05-06 10:46:03 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.plugins.cli] No cli plugin Docker image ghcr.io/home-assistant/armv7-hassio-cli found.
May 06 08:46:03 hass-home hassio-supervisor[652]: 22-05-06 10:46:03 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.plugins.cli] No cli plugin Docker image ghcr.io/home-assistant/armv7-hassio-cli found.
May 06 08:46:03 hass-home hassio-supervisor[652]: 22-05-06 10:46:03 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.plugins.cli] Running setup for CLI plugin
May 06 08:46:03 hass-home 5c21135d7e79[440]: 22-05-06 10:46:03 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.plugins.cli] Running setup for CLI plugin
May 06 08:46:03 hass-home hassio-supervisor[652]: 22-05-06 10:46:03 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.updater] Fetching update data from https://version.home-assistant.io/stable.json
May 06 08:46:03 hass-home 5c21135d7e79[440]: 22-05-06 10:46:03 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.updater] Fetching update data from https://version.home-assistant.io/stable.json
May 06 08:46:03 hass-home 5c21135d7e79[440]: 22-05-06 10:46:03 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.updater] Can't fetch versions from https://version.home-assistant.io/stable.json: [Errno 104] Connection reset by peer
May 06 08:46:03 hass-home hassio-supervisor[652]: 22-05-06 10:46:03 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.updater] Can't fetch versions from https://version.home-assistant.io/stable.json: [Errno 104] Connection reset by peer
May 06 08:46:03 hass-home hassio-supervisor[652]: 22-05-06 10:46:03 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.plugins.cli] Error on install cli plugin. Retry in 30sec
May 06 08:46:03 hass-home 5c21135d7e79[440]: 22-05-06 10:46:03 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.plugins.cli] Error on install cli plugin. Retry in 30sec
root@hass-home:~# docker container ls
CONTAINER ID   IMAGE                                            COMMAND   CREATED          STATUS          PORTS     NAMES
5c21135d7e79   ghcr.io/home-assistant/armv7-hassio-supervisor   "/init"   32 minutes ago   Up 10 minutes             hassio_supervisor

root@hass-home:~# docker images
REPOSITORY                                       TAG         IMAGE ID       CREATED      SIZE
ghcr.io/home-assistant/armv7-hassio-supervisor   2022.05.0   5315bf939617   3 days ago   276MB
ghcr.io/home-assistant/armv7-hassio-supervisor   latest      5315bf939617   3 days ago   276MB

It used to work a few months ago…

You might find the anser here.

Make sure you have also disabled avahi-daemon, take a look here.

But I don’t have any connectivity issue, dns works fine and I can ping www.google.com from the pi.
The only weird thing I’ve noticed is that after installing homeassistant-supervised.deb the system boots with an ip address and later changes to a different one.

avahi-daemon is not even installed.

I’ve also noticed that if I manually

docker pull ghcr.io/home-assistant/armv7-hassio-cli:2022.05.0
docker pull ghcr.io/home-assistant/armv7-hassio-cli:latest

then it works, but that means I will have to do so for each and every image (next it won’t find hassio-dns etc):

[supervisor.docker.interface] No version found for ghcr.io/home-assistant/armv7-hassio-dns

I could manually pull each and every image, but I really want to go at the bottom of the issue and fix it because clearly something’s wrong.

I would try RVitals workaround first.

If that works for your Pi2 I really would do this approach.

BTW, if you have strictly followed this guide you did install avahi-daemon. Check by doing:

sudo systemctl is-active avahi-daemon.service

TW, if you have strictly followed this guide you did install avahi-daemon. Check by doing:

Nope, it’s not active and not installed. I did strictly follow this guide, but it does not ask to install avahi-daemon and it doesn’t get pulled by any other dependency.

I’ve also noticed that a systemctl restart hassio-supervisor does indeed fix my issue, meaning that there is definitely a networking issue during the boot process that gets resolved later.

Manually restarting the daemon is not a proper solution, so I will try the one you suggested (nmcli connection modify "Supervisor eth0" ipv4.dns "local-dns-servers-ip-address").

Unfortunately I still get No version found for ghcr.io/home-assistant/armv7-hassio-cli despite the nmcli connection modify "Supervisor eth0" ipv4.dns "8.8.8.8 8.8.4.4"

Thanks dude!

I have an RPI4 and did this and it worked out with some slight changes.
you need to add “chmod +x /bin/update-grub” to give it execute permissions.

Anyone notice docker_configuration causing unsupported installations in the latest supervisor (dev build)?

Been trying to install HAS following the instructions, but dpkg -i homeassistant-supervised.deb gives a warning:

Selecting previously unselected package homeassistant-supervised.
(Reading database … 25491 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack homeassistant-supervised.deb …
[warn]
[warn] If you want more control over your own system, run
[warn] Home Assistant as a VM or run Home Assistant Core
[warn] via a Docker container.
[warn]
[warn] ModemManager service is enabled. This might cause issue when using serial devices.
[info] Fix kernel dmesg restriction
Adding ‘diversion of /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf to /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.real by homeassistant-supervised’
Adding ‘diversion of /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/default to /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/default.real by homeassistant-supervised’
Adding ‘diversion of /etc/docker/daemon.json to /etc/docker/daemon.json.real by homeassistant-supervised’
Adding ‘diversion of /etc/network/interfaces to /etc/network/interfaces.real by homeassistant-supervised’
Unpacking homeassistant-supervised (1.2.1) …
Setting up homeassistant-supervised (1.2.1) …
[info] Restarting NetworkManager
[info] Enable systemd-resolved
[info] Restarting docker service
PING version.home-assistant.io (104.26.4.238) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 104.26.4.238: icmp_seq=1 ttl=59 time=7.61 ms

version.home-assistant.io ping statistics —
1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 7.611/7.611/7.611/0.000 ms
[info] Install supervisor startup scripts
[info] Install AppArmor scripts
[info] Start Home Assistant Supervised
[info] Installing the ‘ha’ cli
[warn] Could not find /etc/default/grub or /boot/cmdline.txt failed to switch to cgroup v1

I’ve checked, and indeed, there is no /etc/default/grub or /boot/cmdline.txt, so its impossible to make changes to those files.
I’m using 20220121_raspi_4_bullseye.img.xz as base image and have selected raspberrypi4-64 as machine type.

Anyone any idea what goes wrong?

–UPDATE:

Did some digging and reading up on this thread. Didnt read everying because, well, 587 comments :grimacing:
Anyhow, as pointed out by some other members, arm doesnt use grub, so no use looking for it. Making dummy entries shouldnt be a solution either.
I found commandline.txt in /boot/firmware, not in /boot. Dont know if this is the right place, but I did use the suggested image from rasp. debian. net, so I guess it is.
Maybe a symlink does the job? I prefer the installer to be fixed though :wink:

Any suggestions on how to proceed??

Yep, followed this howto and found to be unsupported anyhow:

Home Assistant Supervisor

Host Operating System Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
Update Channel stable
Supervisor Version supervisor-2022.06.2
Agent Version 1.2.2
Docker Version 20.10.17
Disk Total 219.8 GB
Disk Used 3.8 GB
Healthy true
Supported Unsupported
Supervisor API ok
Version API ok
Installed Add-ons

Did you install apparmor?

No, its already in the kernel. I once tried installing it on top of Raspbian PI OS, which resulted in a dependency warning about apparmor being missing.

Try to enable AppArmor by adding lsm=apparmor to the end of cmdline.txt file

1 Like

Thanks, that solved it, its now supported :slight_smile:

@kanga_who
I also have the same problem, like the above,
I’m getting an error

[warn] Could not find / etc / default / grub or / boot / cmdline. txt failed to switch to
cgroup vl

Is there a solution to this?