Installing Home Assistant Supervised on a Raspberry Pi using Debian 12

Here is a blog post on how to turn it off.
https://blog.muench-johannes.de/networkmanager-disable-mac-randomization-314
in case it goes down:

To disable the MAC address randomization create the file

/etc/NetworkManager/conf.d/100-disable-wifi-mac-randomization.conf
with the content:

[connection]
wifi.mac-address-randomization=1

[device]
wifi.scan-rand-mac-address=no

I am wired, not wifi.

So you are saying the USB port power? I can monitor this also. I would be surprised if it is out of spec. The Samsung EVO is a low power series. I will look into the hub and enclosure. If this fixes it, it is worth the money.

Yes. In theory all 4 usbs can provide max 1.2A combined for Pi4 which should be ok. But I have red about nvme enclosures and power issues.

1 Like

To all that have help me get through this install (especially @Tamsy, @Kanga_who, but there were many others), thank you for your helping and understanding. It looks like it is finally working. I will see later if it stays working with no issues.

1. The big issue I had while following the instructions was not logging out and rebooting after step 1.5. I did not realize that this was a necessary step. Maybe it is not, but not doing this was causing me all kinds of permission issues. Again not coming from a Linux background I did not understand what was causing the permission confusion. I assume it was a network issue and it was not.
  2. I still saw one error (sudo: unable to resolve host ā€¦). I believe that this was caused by me installing protainer from ssh while I was doing a snapshot restore. This I was able to fix by
sudo nano /etc/hosts

and changing the file to:

127.0.0.1       localhost homeassistant
::1             localhost ip6-localhost ip6-loopback homeassistant
ff02::1         ip6-allnodes
ff02::2         ip6-allrouters

After this all seems to be working. I spoke to soon. Crashed after 2 hours. No issues with RPI OS or HAOS 5.4 and the identical hardware and using the identical snapshot restore.

No difference with quirks. Crashed in < 2 hours.

Seems you have a USB power issue or incompatible adapter then.

Both of what I am using is supposedly supported. Maybe Iā€™ll purchase the powered hub and switch to it. I am having difficulties in finding one that does not have people complaining about issues.

@tamsy has been communicating with me via PM and suggested that I remove the monitor and go headless. He has seen issues with the HDMI port causing issues. I am trying this now and it is up for 5+ hours. If it makes it 5 plus days I would think I have found the issue.

Do you have a recommendation for a powered USB hub?

This is very easy and it should work great, but it did not. It would not save. It does work now. The change is I disconnected the monitor from HDMI and am running completely headless (thanks to @Tamsy). I must have a port power issue or noise issues from the HDMI. Not sure what. Once I removed the monitor everything is running correctly. Iā€™m ordering a USB powered hub to see if the USB power is the issue.
Thanks again.

It looks like my issues and many questions above was due to a pi4 issue. Iā€™m not sure if I understand the cause, but it is working now.
Your directions are clear and they work when there is no issue. My system should not have caused any issue but it did. I disconnected the monitor from HDMI and am running completely headless (thanks to @Tamsy) and then everything worked.

I must have a port power issue or noise issues from the HDMI. Not sure what. Once I removed the monitor everything is running correctly. Iā€™m ordering a USB powered hub to see if the USB power is the issue. When I figure out the cause Iā€™ll post more to try and help others.

hello,
thanks for the great informations here.
after trying out some variants (raspberryOS with docker etc.)
I like to stick with this one.
I got my Razberry working with the other install options, but I have trouble to get the ttyAMA0 available with the /boot/firmware/config.txt modifications.
does anyone have a tip if there is something special I have to do?

I have been combing the internet for weeks and this is probably the cleanest set of install instructions I have found. It worked perfectly on the first try - thank you for taking the time to write this!

1 Like

Hello there.
Can someone answer me this?

I have a working HA running on 192.168.1.20. I just setup another rpi4 following the guide by OP above on 192.168.1.21. This will be a test setup and will eventually replace the HA running on 192.168.1.20. If I restore a snapshot, will the test setup use the 192.168.20 ip or will it retain the 192.168.1.21? I prefer it to be the later ip.

IP is handled by the device & router.
Restoring a backup does not change the internal IP because itā€™s linked to the mac adres of your device in the router

2 Likes

@kanga_who check the PullRequest on github

Added

sed 's/.*/& lsm=apparmor/' /boot/cmdline.txt

will resolve issue about ā€˜supervisor unsupportedā€™ will enable apparmor.

I am using debian 64b lite version on a RPi4B 4GB https://raspi.debian.net/verified/20210210_raspi_4_buster.img.xz

I will do more test with other rpiOSā€™s :slight_smile:

This isnā€™t needed - Iā€™ve just done a fresh install on a Pi4 following the guide to test and get no such errors.

1 Like

What I have noticed is that the error is just popping up if one is doing the installation of HA as su (root user) opposed to the instructions where it is clearly said to do all steps as an unprivileged user only (thus using sudo).

1 Like

really ? checked the Supervisor Tab webpage? I have done that yesterday and get it ā€¦ :expressionless:

roger that!
Ty