Installing Home Assistant Supervised using Debian 12

Could be a DNS issue on the Debian machine. Try this.

sudo nano /etc/resolv.conf

Change nameservers to 8.8.8.8, Ctrl+X to save, reboot the machine, then try running the script again.

Interesting, I tried editing resolv.conf, but when I look at it after a reboot (or even after I edit it and then look at it immediately after saving), it looks like NetworkManager has overwritten it and defaulted back to my router ip address for the nameserver.

# Generated by NetworkManager
nameserver 192.168.1.1

The file /etc/network/interfaces is the one to edit. Look at the CLI example in this article. It’s consistent with your output from the installation script.

https://linuxconfig.org/how-to-set-a-static-ip-address-on-debian-10-buster

I did not install resolveconf (an option in the CLI steps), but the following reference describes why your file is being overwritten. It also provides other options for configuring static IP addresses.

https://wiki.debian.org/resolv.conf

2 Likes

after installing debian is there a way to mount external usb drive as /media so that everything is saved in there?

Thanks for the help. It turns out that it just wasn’t working to try and get the script run over a wifi connection with a password. Every time the script would run, Network Manager would overwrite the configuration that I had set up, and then it would fail (since it now had no internet). I finally just hauled everything over to the router with a monitor and keyboard and got it to run correctly.

1 Like

I’ve used the information here to temporarily mount a USB drive at the OS level so I could transfer an SSH key:

https://www.pragmaticlinux.com/2020/07/how-to-format-and-mount-a-usb-drive-in-the-linux-terminal/

I’m not sure the method can work within HA at all, but another method might be possible using BusyBox commands at the HA CLI (https://community.home-assistant.io/t/local-dns/178108/48?u=pocket). What could potentially work would be to mount the USB and then create a link (the ‘ln’ command) to the /media mount point. Whether it would break the intent of ADR-0014 is another matter.

Could somebody help me with this issue? I’m still stuck.

You do not need to downgrade Docker now as the latest update 2020.12.7 fixed it.

FYI, I am using RaspiOs 64bit and I show as supported :grinning:

Hi,

Actually working to setup a test HA.

The “supervised-installer” script fails because “apparmor” is missing but it is installed ( version 2.13.2-10) as per the result of “apt-get install apparmor-utils” or the result of the command “apt list -a apparmor”

Screenshot attached.

Please any advice ?
Thank youCapture apparmor

What about

sudo apt-get install apparmor-utils

Thanks a lot @BertrumUK for the solution of the “sudo” issue.

In fact “sudo” was not installed during the Debian 10 install !
After its installation , it works .

I realized also that i did not take attention when “sudo-i” failed and I was able to continue … probably because i did earlier an “su password” to fix another problem at that time.

HA is ready now and is reached by http:// ip:8123

Yeah if you set a root password when you install Debian it doesn’t install sudo.

1 Like

Good Morning All,

I just installed Debian 10 on an old laptop I use for testing purposes. I want to migrate my current Home Assistant setup from Ubuntu to this method. I have a couple of questions:

When I am prompted for a root password should I ignore this and leave it blank?

Is there a way to SSH into Debian remotely after it has been initially installed without installing OpenSSH? I tried using the SSH command from a windows command prompt but the connection was refused. Being able to execute all the commands to install Home Assistant remotely would be a benefit. Will installing OpenSSH as per the opening post create any issues with the installation being unsupported further down the line.

I just want to get everything down before I do this for real on my actual HA machine.

Thanks in advance

Richard

Just checking in to say thanks again!

I had this installed with lots of help… And then for xmas I got a new hard drive. Since I never got started DOING anything with HA - I just swapped hard drives and reinstalled this… And it worked perfectly and flawlessly this time - no hitches.

Yes I would

When prompted for packages to install, select the ssh one there as part of the initial installation. I did change the ssh port too. When I installed the HA ssh addon I also changed the port for that (ssh and web terminal addon) so I can ssh to the host but also to HA.

Thanks David,

I did not see the option of installing SSH on the initial installation of Debian

It’s one of the last of the install screens where it asks what additional packages you want to install.

From everything I read best practice is to NOT set a root password although everyone seems to do it. I never have and never had any problems. Note that you will want to add your normal user to sudoers otherwise every time you try to sudo it will ask for the password…

On the installation that I have done so far I did set a root password and did not encounter any issues.

I just googled how to add a user (usermod -aG sudo username) which is part of the instructions.

I will wipe my drive and try again looking for the ssh package

I just re installed Debian again this time with no root password,

I did not get any option to install additional packages, there was a screen where the package manager was installed then the bootloader was installed and then the final screen saying installation was complete and I need to re boot.

Am I missing something not being able to install any additional packages? I can install Openssh after the install manually but I take it we are talking about the default SSH server in Debian

It’s possible the install has changed since I did it but I doubt there was no option… Maybe it asked if you wanted to install other packages… I don’t remember… it’s been a while.
The default ssh server in Debian is openssh so just install that package. I’m sure it would have given the option when you installed though. I might run up a new VM and install debian to check what it does later.