Installing Home Assistant Supervised using Debian 12

Ok, I guess I’ll have to research further.
One final question, in case I went with the manual procedure for the time being: I suppose the concept is to simply attach the bootable ssd to another Linux installation and clone it to target. Can eg. Clonezilla or any other solution actually do that? I’d immediately think yes, but all tutorials I came across refer to a situation, where you actually boot from their live usb and clone the bootable drive to target. I just want to clone the connected (bootable) Pi ssd in a VM Debian 10 to target.

i don’t understand what you’re saying.

I have Debian 10 in a VM. I was thinking of using that, in order to physically connect the Pi ssd and clone it to target (usb stick/HDD). Can I do that with Clonezilla or any other software? Sorry for my English.

Yes, that would work with clonezilla (or any other disk clone tool).

I use a cronjob running a script to backup my user folders which contains my docker (non HA) persistent volumes. Using that with snapshots I can restore my system in under an hour. I have never tried to backup stuff I have installed in Linux I just note in a text file what packages I use and manually reinstall them… that could be automated with a script if you needed…

Agree. I still prefer straight debian and I run everything extra in docker which is easy to backup so I just need to know the 10 or so packages I need to add.

It seems that I’ll have to put clonezilla on the usb that I want to put my backup and boot a pc from this usb https://clonezilla.org/show-live-doc-content.php?topic=clonezilla-live/doc/03_Disk_to_disk_clone
Then the target gets overwritten by the backup.
Odd that no simple interface exists to just “clone a connected source to a connected target”.

Could you please elaborate on the cron script? And what is the target?

*Any backup script will require you to first install an OS before giving you the opportunity to restore your backup. If you haven’t properly documented your installation, you will shoot yourself in the foot.

*Regarding Clonezilla, either you boot from the LiveCD (usb) or you install Clonezilla as an app in a pre-existing Linux OS (sudo apt-get install clonezilla).
You connect source & target drives, and you clone from one to the other.

Target is a USB-Drive.
The script just tars the user folders and copies it to dropbox and also the USB-drive

If only that was so easy…I tried with the pre-existing OS and clone to image solution. Clonezilla is just not meant for that, but for a live usb. It demands both drives to be unmounted (yes, destination drive too!). Why can’t I simply save the .img to any folder of an already mounted disk is beyond me.The (eventually unmounted) destination virtual disk was then not recognised when the option to select destination was up. I had to manually mount the destination virtual disk to /home/partimag before running clonezilla to proceed.
When I eventually tried to “restore” the .img as a test to usb, it had to be unmounted(?) too for things to work. You are presented with options that simply don’t make any sense (destination instead of source options first, wrong info, incomprehensible instructions/messages). In all I spent 2 hours for a 5-clicks procedure in 100s of Windows cloning programms and I can’t understand why this should be so difficult.
In the end I plugged the usb to Pi and (thank God!) I had an exact working copy of my SSD installation.
After that I’m not going to even think of trying all these real-time Pi backup solutions with running services etc.
Anyway, thank you and sorry for straying a little bit from the purposes of the thread.

That is simply untrue, have done it hundreds of times, without unmounting the destination. Especially since you’re trying to clone to .img files. A drive to drive clone would be much more interesting, leaving you with a spare disk you could just plug in to get back up & running.

But as said from the get-go…for home assistant you should just use snapshots. Any other linux related questions are better discussed elsewhere.

Hi,
Thanks, I have installed as instructed debian with no graphical interface, as this won’t be a use.

It sems that my HA is started but some sort of firewall on debian filter the connection.

ss -tulpn

cleversower@KopytkowoHA:~$ sudo ss -tulpn
Netid            State             Recv-Q            Send-Q                            Local Address:Port                       Peer Address:Port
udp              UNCONN            0                 0                                       0.0.0.0:68                              0.0.0.0:*               users:(("dhclient",pid=501,fd=6))
udp              UNCONN            0                 0                                   172.30.32.1:5353                            0.0.0.0:*               users:(("python3",pid=3309,fd=15))
udp              UNCONN            0                 0                                     127.0.0.1:5353                            0.0.0.0:*               users:(("python3",pid=3309,fd=14))
udp              UNCONN            0                 0                                    172.17.0.1:5353                            0.0.0.0:*               users:(("python3",pid=3309,fd=13))
udp              UNCONN            0                 0                                 192.168.0.150:5353                            0.0.0.0:*               users:(("python3",pid=3309,fd=12))
udp              UNCONN            0                 0                                       0.0.0.0:5353                            0.0.0.0:*               users:(("python3",pid=3309,fd=10))
udp              UNCONN            0                 0                            172.30.32.1%hassio:5353                            0.0.0.0:*               users:(("mdns-repeater",pid=3039,fd=5))
udp              UNCONN            0                 0                            192.168.0.150%ens3:5353                            0.0.0.0:*               users:(("mdns-repeater",pid=3039,fd=4))
udp              UNCONN            0                 0                                       0.0.0.0:5353                            0.0.0.0:*               users:(("mdns-repeater",pid=3039,fd=3))
tcp              LISTEN            0                 128                                     0.0.0.0:4357                            0.0.0.0:*               users:(("docker-proxy",pid=729,fd=4))
tcp              LISTEN            0                 128                                     0.0.0.0:22                              0.0.0.0:*               users:(("sshd",pid=495,fd=3))
tcp              LISTEN            0                 128                                     0.0.0.0:8123                            0.0.0.0:*               users:(("python3",pid=3309,fd=7))
tcp              LISTEN            0                 128                                        [::]:22                                 [::]:*               users:(("sshd",pid=495,fd=4))
tcp              LISTEN            0                 128                                        [::]:8123                               [::]:*               users:(("python3",pid=3309,fd=8))
cleversower@KopytkowoHA:~$

docker ps:

cleversower@KopytkowoHA:~$ sudo docker ps
CONTAINER ID   IMAGE                                             COMMAND                  CREATED          STATUS          PORTS                  NAMES
34fc6d31733a   homeassistant/amd64-hassio-multicast:3            "/init"                  22 minutes ago   Up 22 minutes                          hassio_multicast
f7f1f9396ef4   homeassistant/amd64-hassio-cli:2021.03.0          "/init /bin/bash -c …"   22 minutes ago   Up 22 minutes                          hassio_cli
9926cfc47793   homeassistant/amd64-hassio-audio:2021.02.1        "/init"                  22 minutes ago   Up 22 minutes                          hassio_audio
2dfa82dde73e   homeassistant/amd64-hassio-dns:2021.01.0          "/init"                  22 minutes ago   Up 22 minutes                          hassio_dns
ea1380ce3ad9   homeassistant/qemux86-64-homeassistant:2021.3.4   "/init"                  3 hours ago      Up 22 minutes                          homeassistant
74a7c2f4d299   homeassistant/amd64-hassio-observer:2020.10.1     "/init"                  3 hours ago      Up 23 minutes   0.0.0.0:4357->80/tcp   hassio_observer
76c0a55cc8cb   homeassistant/amd64-hassio-supervisor             "/init"                  3 hours ago      Up 22 minutes                          hassio_supervisor
cleversower@KopytkowoHA:~$ ^C
cleversower@KopytkowoHA:~$ /etc/network/interface
-bash: /etc/network/interface: No such file or directory
cleversower@KopytkowoHA:~$ /etc/network/interface
-bash: /etc/network/interface: No such file or directory
cleversower@KopytkowoHA:~$ cd /etc/network/interface
-bash: cd: /etc/network/interface: No such file or directory

Can anybody support me? :wink: I installed that on my VM, on the NAS synology.
As extra, before installing the HA, I have installed the telnet and connected via Putty.

There was a comment on the last part of the script installation, asking to overwrite the interfaces setup, I have confirmed.

The previous IP of my Debian was 192.168.0.87 but http://192.168.0.87:8123 havent worked either.
I have assigned fixed IP on my DHCP for 192.168.0.150 but http://192.168.0.150:8123 doesn’t work either.
The ss -tulpn indicates that python is running on the port 8123 :slight_smile:

I’m a Linux newbie, so its hardto troubleshoot the issue myself.

I have found the root cause for my issue. I wanted to higher security, therefore I have installed teh firewall, UFW.

cleversower@KopytkowoHA:~$ sudo ufw disable
Firewall stopped and disabled on system startup

To enable port 8123 you can follow that guide

Hi all!

I wonder if someone here could help me :slight_smile:
I’ve so far installed Debian 10 and HA Supervisor successfully as instructed here and everything works just nice EXCEPT: I can’t get touch in the touchscreen working. What am I missing?

In addition to above I’ve so far installed: Python 3.8.8, snap, git, lxde (normal), xinput and HA tileboard (planned to use latest on Raspi’s own screen only) .
I have Raspberry 4B 64bit, Raspberry’s own 7" touchschreen and I’ve understood, that it should work “out-of-the-box”.
There seems to be libinput already installed. Xinput list finds only my keyboard and mouse, so it seems that my touch part part of screen is totally missing.
I’ve tried to edit /boot/firmware/config.txt and cmdline.txt. However, neither of them had any rows about screens by default, so I added video=DSI-1:800x480M@60m to later one and tried to set disable touchscreen off in config.txt. Nothing changed…

Any help or ideas? What is missing or is my touchscreen just broken?

and I managed to turn screen upside-down, so something is working…
and Linux setup is: Linux rpi4-20210210 5.9.0-0.bpo.5-arm64 #1 SMP Debian 5.9.15-1~bpo10+1 (2020-12-1) aarch64

Update: touch screen is not broken, it works fine with Raspberry OS. Problem is, that with Raspberry OS I can’t install HA in supervisor mode, so I’m missing all additional functionalities I wanted :frowning:

I think I’m missing some important library or something for Debian, but I can’t identify which one.

Thanks!

1 Like

Hello, i’m stuck here:

curl -fsSL get.docker.com | sh

Getting the following errors from Debian:
sh: 1: cannot open html: No such file
sh: 2: syntax error: redirection unexpected

Anyone got an idea?

Edi: nevermind, missed the capital L in “-fsSL”

Hi,

Am in the process of migrating to Debian from a ubuntu install, and am running into docker not found issue. i can see the following error when its trying to download docker using the script file on this page but everythign i have tried doesnt seem to help.

i couldn’t find Debian 10.7 so loaded 10.9, not sure if this is contributing but before i blow it away and start again any ideas on the docker not found error?

The repository ‘https://download.docker.com/linux/ubuntu buster Release’ does not have a Release file.

Follow the instructions for docker install from the docker site and make sure you select debian not Ubuntu from there…

Hi David, I tried that as well. No joy.

I get
E: package ‘docker-ce’ has no installation candidate
E: unable to locate package docket-ce-cli
E: unable to locate package containers
E: Couldn’t fine any package by glob 'containerd
E: Couldn’t find any package by regex containerd

I must be doing something stupid

There was ok on the end of the cobtaie Rd file but it picks it up as links so had to remove

Have you checked the apt sources lists?

Run this command sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list

It should look like this, or at least have these lines uncommented.

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian buster main
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian buster main

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian-security/ buster/updates main
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian-security/ buster/updates main

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-updates main
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian buster-updates main

If not, remove the existing config from that file, copy this in, Control+x to save, then run

sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y