Installing Home Assistant Supervised on Ubuntu 18.04.4

I wonder if it would now be more accurate to say it runs “Home Assistant Container”?

It’s technically correct to say it runs Home Assistant Core but when distributed as a docker container it is now known as Home Assistant Container.

Home Assistant is a full UI managed home automation ecosystem that runs Hass.io Home Assistant Home Assistant Core Home Assistant Container, the Home Assistant Supervisor and add-ons? :upside_down_face:

Edit: Yes, you’re probably right. I’m just being facetious

Yeah, I know. The product’s name is going to need its own GitHub repo to keep track of all its changes!

The only reason I’m suggesting to refer to Container is to emphasize that the Supervised version is all docker-based. Home Assistant Container is Home Assistant Core but distributed as a docker container (i.e. the python code that makes Core plus a docker operating environment).

1 Like

Okay, so are we saying this guide is not good for installing Supervised on Ubuntu on the Pi4? I just read the whole thread to get it set in my head for this evening and then saw the post about it being for Intel/Amd only (oops) haha.

On a Pi4, you download the desired image from here :

And flash it to your sd-card using belana etcher.

under 2.2, you replace with

sudo -i

apt-get install -y software-properties-common apparmor-utils apt-transport-https avahi-daemon ca-certificates curl dbus jq network-manager socat

systemctl disable ModemManager

systemctl stop ModemManager

curl -fsSL get.docker.com | sh

curl -sL "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Kanga-Who/home-assistant/master/supervised-installer.sh" | bash -s -- -m raspberrypi4

or – -m raspberrypi4-64 if you installed 64-bit

Here’s the Pi guide.

Hey @kanga_who thank your for your continued support of Home Assistant - It is really cool.
I’m pretty new to the home automation scene, while I have about 30 MQTT devices I had been doing it via Hoobs.

While I am pretty apted at Linux, Docker and Home Assistant is pretty new to me.

I’ve got most of it worked out but I was hoping to modify one of my automation this long weekend.
I found the Workday sensor in Home Assistant, but it is out of sync by +10 hours, (my timezone).
Discussion at Workday sensor triggering at midday not midnight indicates that the Timezone environment variable is set to UTC.

What is the correct way to change this in Docker and could it be adjusted in the installation script to be the same as locally?

Thank you

As long as you have the correct timezone information in configuration.yaml you shouldn’t have any timezone issues.

I have in configuration.yaml:

homeassistant:
time_zone: Australia/Melbourne

{{ now() }}
{{ now().tzinfo }}
{{ now().astimezone() }}
{{ now().astimezone().tzinfo }}

Gives the result:

2020-06-07 13:40:03.909576+10:00
Australia/Melbourne
2020-06-07 03:40:03.909940+00:00
UTC

RTC at BIOS is running as UTC and Timezone is correctly set as per default normal debian installation. Current time is correct and everything is running fine in Home Assistant as it should all except the Workday sensor.

Apparently this caused by the Docker being installed without a timezone set??

I don’t use that sensor, so I’m not sure how is operates. Perhaps you could just add a +/- offset to it to have it read correctly.

I have followed this tutorial and it also works for Ubuntu 20.04, if anybody wants to try it.

Great job, BTW. :+1:

1 Like

@kanga_who from my understanding of the instructions, this is still running home-assistant supervised on a docker and still support the addons and supervisor functions, right?

1 Like

It will give you Home Assistant Supervised with everything that comes with that.

I am running an issue with CEC Scanner. I am getting following error:

Anyone know how to fix the issue?

Someone mentioned elsewhere (FB, I think) about the apparmor version not being compatible with the supervised install on Ubuntu and therefore Debian has to be used.

Is that true, or does it only apply to certain Ubuntu version (and if so, which)?

Thanks!

Thanks you so much for this tutorial. the installation was so easy on my surface pro 3 running Ubuntu server 18.04 :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:

Just a small typo (that I would correct myself but I’m not permitted to edit the topic’s title) but it’s 18.04.4 not 18.04.04

Screenshot from 2020-06-24 21-35-52

1 Like

I just noticed a couple of days ago that my title editing privileges were removed too.

That must have been changed during the last forum maintenance session last week. Not that I’ve used it much but I was going to change one and noticed it wasn’t there.

Yeah, I used to have some sort of wiki status and could convert others posts to a wiki to edit, but that has been removed. Probably just because I’m an ass though. :wink:

Thank you, I have updated accordingly.

1 Like

Hi All,

Thanks for a great tutorial. I’ve followed the instructions and got HA working on an old machine I have here.
One thing I would like to do is map a USB port to be able to use Zigbee, what is the best way to do this? I see over in the Home Assistant Container tutorial they use a docker-compose.yaml file.
I can’t understand how this guide starts the docker machines, I see the install script uses “systemctl start hassio-supervisor.service” but can’t figure out what happens from there?

On the assumption that “hassio-supervisor” triggers everything else, I’ve run the command

sudo systemctl disable hassio-supervisor

I’ve also looked at Portainer to confirm that restart policy for hassio_supervisor is set to none.

So I am a bit of a loss as to how it is restarting on reboot?

Thanks

Ian

1 Like