Installing Home Assistant Supervised on Ubuntu 18.04.4

@Drewgy Try this one: https://github.com/home-assistant/supervised-installer

Working fine for me on 18.04. I get the “not supported” message but everything works.

No luck with that one either Scope666. :frowning:

Did you run this on 18.04 since HA changed their versioning?

1 Like

No, it has been awhile since I ran it. I have my Docker install frozen at 19.03 because there was an alert about compatibility with 20.x. Everything is still working, but once in awhile, usually after a full reboot, I have to do a sudo service hassio-supervisor restart to fix the “not healthy” error.

Don’t use Ubuntu, as is stated in the first post, Debian 10 is the OS to use and has been for close to a year now.

If you are starting a fresh install, you have absolutely no need whatsoever to use Ubuntu over Debian.

Well, I sucked it up and completely rebuilt my server. Now it’s happy:

2 Likes

Hi I am new in Ubuntu could you please help me how I must set those manually in order to bypass the

[info] Install supervisor Docker container
invalid reference format

Why are you using ubuntu? Read the thread, you only need post 1.

1 Like

Hi all

One maybe stupid question.
I did all the steps as explained in the initial post and I’d say it worked. All the container were developed and they were listed in portainer.

But as there was no port binding I couldn’t reach HA with 192.168.0.185:8123.

I’m a docker newby, maybe I’m doing something wrong, but I think the inital post is very clearly explained and does not leave much room for interpretation.

You mean the first post which explains exactly WHY you should’t do this on ubuntu,

As you yourself have said

But still you box on and expect it to work.

1 Like

hehe, you’re absolutely right.
But I read in this thread that other managed to install it. So I thought there must be a way.

Ok, but does this mean there won’t be an Ubuntu solution in the nearer future?

Debian 10 has been the only supported OS for over a year now. Ubuntu being supported will never happen.

There is literally no reason to use Ubuntu over Debian, anyway.

1 Like

Ok thanks kanga for support and clarification.

I’ve installed Debian 10 and it worked.
I choosed Ubuntu as e.g. Apache Zeppelin doesn’t list Debian in the supported OS, but it worked. And also because I’ve always uses Ubuntu out of habit :slight_smile:

I’m not that experienced with the details of the Linux OS. What is the reason that Ubuntu won’t be supported? Isn’t Ubuntu the most common Linux distribution?

Ubuntu is based on Debian and has a lot of unnecessary additions that *could negatively affect the operation of HA.

I’m running it now since 3 days on an Intel NUC i5 with Debian.
Ant it works very well and is very fast.

Thanks to all the developer and supporters in this forum for your great work!

1 Like

I made the same argument many months ago.
So, I bought another NUC i5 and installed the image of HassOS on it. I still have Ubuntu on my first Nuc.

1 Like

Yeah and windows is the most common OS, but it doesn’t run there either.

Ubuntu do lots of funky stuff to some core packages, and debian is widely viewed as more stable.

1 Like