Installing Home Assistant Supervised on Ubuntu 18.04.4

Are you getting that message during the initial execution of the installer script or at the end when it attempts to start Home Assistant?

I’m asking because, if you review the installer script, there’s no reference to “dial”. Perhaps the error occurs when Home Assistant starts and then detects that there’s something wrong with the installation, possibility a missing prerequisite.

I found a simple solution in the end: How are USB ports mapped? - #13 by 123

Hey all. I’m one of those noobs with docker. I’m trying to move my setup from pi to an nuc with Ubuntu and docker. Upon installing hassio supervised and trying to restore my backup, I can no longer access home Assistant. The webpage is blank and says it cannot load. I’ve tried removing the containers and reinstalling hassio and even used different backups but none of them successfully restore.

What version were you coming from on the Pi? Did you check breaking/version changes between your backup and the current install if the versions are different?

You can also extract your backup .tar file and access all of your .yaml files and copy/paste them to the new install, then reboot. Doing this won’t restore your add-ons, but you it will get you up and running and you can then re-install the add-ons once you know you have a working config.

There is nothing in the world of Home Assistant called “hassio supervised”. It’s called Home Assistant Supervised.

The term hassio is not only deprecated it was never qualified with the word “supervised”. To avoid confusion, it’s best to use the correct terminology and not invent new ones.

Just followed the installation tutorial and everything worked great except during the installation I somehow lost resolv.conf file and now I don’t have any DNS servers specified and so I cannot connect to any domain. The error when pinging is “ping: google.com: Temporary failure in name resolution”.
Do you have any suggestions on how to fix this?

I’m confused about this comment:

:warning: Please keep in mind that currently this installation method is not officially supported by the Home Assistant team, and therefore you are responsible for updating and managing updates and security on the base OS and no official support will be offered. This install method may cease to work at any time, so use at your own risk

According to the last blog post Home Assistant Supervised on Linux was one of the 4 supported installation methods.

Is there a different official guide for that or is that an old comment that needs to be updated?

Ubuntu is not a supported OS, making this installation method “officially” unsupported. You could follow the Debian guide that is also in the Community Guides section.

To stay officially supported, you must maintain a completely vanilla install of Debian 10, meaning no other software can be installed to the OS.

Given how rapidly the Home Assistant project evolves, that blog post is starting to smell stale. The first installation method listed in your posted screenshot is now called Home Assistant OS, In addition, ADR-0014 qualifies the officially supported flavor of Home Assistant Supervised … and that’s when it is installed on Debian.

I’m building a new server from the scratch so I can use any version of Linux. I’d prefer Ubuntu because that is what I’m familiar with. I just want to make sure I don’t spend time building it on an unsupported platform that gets deprecated with future updates. It is just hard to keep up with what is supported.

Debian is supported/recommended

1 Like

As David stated, Debian is supported. If you want to future proof for “just in case”, use Debian. If you are building a proper server though, I would suggest using Proxmox and the Home Assistant OS image. Guide in the guides section for that as well.

Using Proxmox means you will have a fully supported HA instance running and can then run whatever other flavor of Linux in another VM to install your software.

1 Like

I have a Proxmox server that I use for experiments but I don’t like it and am sticking with Supervised on Debian. I will and am avoiding HA OS like the plague…

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. I’m using a old Dell core i5 laptop for this and don’t plan to run anything but HA.

It’s been rock solid for me, I can’t fault it so far since moving from Supervised to Proxmox. We’re lucky we have options.

1 Like

This isn’t a loaded question, but why do you say that?

I’m currently weighing up my options for what I hope will be the last time(!!!) I migrate my install to something ‘supported’.

Well what happens if I want to go into debug mode or access the Host OS with that? I won’t be plugging in a monitor and keyboard and that seemingly is the only way to do it. (I guess you can do a Proxmox Shell). I like to see where everything sits on the system with full control. Also there have been issues with HA OS with updates etc so happy to dodge those as well.

You can access the HA shell via the Proxmox web interface, no need to plug in a keyboard and mouse, or install anything that would make it “unsupported”. I’m sure you know that already though.

I would honestly recommend a Promox install. I was an avid Supervised user for a long time, but after changing I have noticed my system is faster, more reliable, stable and if I have an issue with anything else installed in another VM, I don’t have to worry about taking HA offline to resolve it.

Again, each to their own, but it would be my suggestion.

Yes I even said so in my post

Yes I came to Supervised from Proxmox (mainly because you documented it so well :wink: ) and I liked Proxmox. I really missed Bluetooth in HA though.

I think now that I can probably live without it for the benefits Proxmox brings.

1 Like