Installing Home Assistant Supervised on Ubuntu 18.04.4

HA Container (what you called “HA Docker”) is a fully supported installation method of HA.

As long as it’s installed on a Debian OS and you don’t put anything else on that machine except for HA and the apps (add-ons) maintained by the Supervisor.

1 Like

IMPORTANT: Home Assistant grabs Linux audio as part of it’s startup routine. If you want to use audio output in your Linux desktop, you can find the solution:

1 Like

@kanga_who Thanks for you guide!!! worked like a charm on Ubuntu 20.04 Server. However I have issue restarting HA or even Stopping it. The only way is to re-start the docker or host. This is the error:

20-10-04 01:37:11 ERROR (MainThread) [supervisor.utils] Can’t execute restart while a task is in progress
20-10-04 01:37:11 ERROR (MainThread) [supervisor.utils.log_format] Type of message is not string - expected string or bytes-like object

Any help is appreciated.

My total respect for being so detailed in the tutorial. Everything you indicated worked correctly and no problem with Ubuntu 18.04.5 Server.
I have installed it on an old notebook that I did not use.

I just wanted to say thank you. Greetings from Uruguay

2 Likes

My 18.04.4 install updated to 18.04.5 sometime in the past week and now won’t upgrade from 0.115.6 to 0.116 or supervisor 245 to 246/247.

20-10-08 03:32:30 INFO (SyncWorker_7) [supervisor.docker.interface] Pull image homeassistant/amd64-hassio-supervisor tag 247.
20-10-08 03:32:30 ERROR (SyncWorker_7) [supervisor.docker.interface] Can't install homeassistant/amd64-hassio-supervisor:247 -> 500 Server Error: Internal Server Error ("Get https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/: dial tcp: lookup registry-1.docker.io on [::1]:53: read udp [::1]:41790->[::1]:53: read: connection refused").

It’s strange, I can access my instance remotely (through Nabu Casa) and HACS modules update.

Update: Turns out to be something to do with the AdGuard add-on. All fixed

Getting Error when run supervised-installer.sh: invalid reference format

Hello,
I am running Ubuntu 18.04.5 on mac mini 2012 dual boot.

logs:

~# curl -sL "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Kanga-Who/home-assistant/master/supervised-installer.sh" | bash -s
[info] 
[info] This script is taken from the official
[info] 
[info] Home Assistant Supervised script available at
[info] 
[info] https://github.com/home-assistant/supervised-installer
[info] 
[info] Creating NetworkManager configuration
[info] Restarting NetworkManager
[info] Install supervisor Docker container
invalid reference format

I am stuck, what can I do to fix it?
10x.

The issue was empty variable for HASSIO_VERSION
When I set it manually it works for .

docker pull "$HASSIO_DOCKER:$HASSIO_VERSION" > /dev/null
docker tag "$HASSIO_DOCKER:$HASSIO_VERSION" "$HASSIO_DOCKER:latest" > /dev/null

After I fixed it I got another issue:

+ docker pull homeassistant/amd64-hassio-supervisor:247
Error response from daemon: Get https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/: dial tcp: lookup registry-1.docker.io on [::1]:53: read udp [::1]:46143->[::1]:53: read: connection refused

I fixed it with adding sleep to the script before docker pull, its seem that it take time for network to return after “Restarting NetworkManager”

1 Like

Hi guys,
Help please, I’m new to Linux.
Installed according to the Hassio instructions on
Ubuntu Server 20.04.1 LTS. Installed snapshot from my Pi3b +
Everything works until the reboot. After booting, HA does not start. I suppose it’s about autoloading. How to fix it?

Hi when i install docker i get this: How can i continue to install process ? Thanks

curl -fsSL get.docker.com | sh

Executing docker install script, commit: 26ff363bcf3b3f5a00498ac43694bf1c7d9ce16c

• sh -c apt-get update -qq >/dev/null
  • sh -c DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive apt-get install -y -qq apt-transport-https ca-certificates curl >/dev/null
  • sh -c curl -fsSL “” | apt-key add -qq - >/dev/null
    Warning: apt-key is deprecated. Manage keyring files in trusted.gpg.d instead (see apt-key(8)).
  • sh -c echo “deb [arch=amd64] https://download.docker.com/linux/ubuntu groovy stable” > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/docker.list
  • sh -c apt-get update -qq >/dev/null
  • [ -n ]
  • sh -c apt-get install -y -qq --no-install-recommends docker-ce >/dev/null
    E: Package ‘docker-ce’ has no installation candidate

Are you running the command as root?

sudo -i
curl -fsSL get.docker.com | sh

i was using ubuntu 20.x

i just install ubuntu 18.04 now everything works ok.

Thanks

1 Like

Thanks! I just installed via ubuntu 20 as well

What’s the difference between this script and the official one here?

I’ve used the above on Ubuntu 18.04 LTS and it works perfectly.

1 Like

Since superviser version 2020.12.2 I’m noticing these warnings every ~2 hours:

20-12-04 02:50:21 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.host.network] Can't update connectivity information: Error: Timeout was reached

Does anybody also have these messages? Is there any way to fix them?

Not even one… (but I use Debian not Ubuntu)

I have them too, Ubuntu 18.04. Doesn’t seem to do anything because it’s running perfectly:

20-12-04 10:11:54 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.host.network] Can't update connectivity information: Error: Timeout was reached
20-12-04 10:12:34 WARNING (MainThread) [supervisor.host.network] Can't update connectivity information: Error: Timeout was reached
20-12-04 10:53:19 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.check] Starting system checks with state CoreState.RUNNING
20-12-04 10:53:19 INFO (MainThread) [supervisor.resolution.check] System checks complete

Ubuntu 18.04 on Intel NUC…

When i clean all docker hassio instances and start the script it works fine. It installs and works fine. But when i restart ubuntu, except for the hassio-observer, none of the containers start.

The services look like this:

xxx@xxx:~$ sudo systemctl status hassio-supervisor.service 
● hassio-supervisor.service - Hass.io supervisor
     Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/hassio-supervisor.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: inactive (dead)

xxx@xxx:~$ sudo systemctl status hassio-apparmor.service 
● hassio-apparmor.service - Hass.io AppArmor
     Loaded: loaded (/etc/systemd/system/hassio-apparmor.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
     Active: active (exited) since Thu 2020-12-10 13:37:07 +03; 1min 47s ago
    Process: 993 ExecStart=/usr/sbin/hassio-apparmor (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)
   Main PID: 993 (code=exited, status=0/SUCCESS)

So i try starting hassio-supervisor or hassio-apparmor services manually. This time supervisor container runs but all other hassio containers are deleted from docker automatically.

I upgraded Ubuntu from 18.04 to 20.04. Still same response.

How can i troubleshoot more? Thanks.

UPDATE: Found the problem, newly updated docker 5.20 is the culprit. Returned back to 5.19 and everything is fine.

Please check 2 Servers 2 Locations, both running HA, both quit working after recent server update

I was running into the same issue anyone find a working solution?

After quite some work; i managed to handle it this way:

1. Upgrade Ubuntu to 20.04
  2. Downgrade Docker to 5.19
  3. Run the script in this page and answer ‘y’ to network question:
    https://github.com/home-assistant/supervised-installer
  4. Wait for all containers to be formed in docker
  5. Restart
  6. Since all supervisor addon containers are disappeared in docker (at least in my case), in ha supervisor addons page, copy addon configuration, uninstall it, install it back again, paste configuration and start addon.

Those solved my problems.

2 Likes

Also had the same issue on ubuntu 18.04 and intel nuc (was running this setup for 2 years). got it working by downgrading docker but this setup doesn’t feel stable to me anymore. So i decided to completely revamp my installation and run home assistant in a VM on debian buster because i run more docker containers then just some home asssitant addons and dont like the way this is going with dependency’s.