Installing Home Assistant Supervised using Debian 12

This is no different from when you were running on a Pi.
You just need to install the “SSH & Web Terminal” add-on, it allows you to SSH into the HA container, where things like /config are stored.

That would be awesome but I couldn’t get it to work :grimacing: Might be because I’m using the wrong IP. Do you know how to find the right one?

If you have SSH active on the OS, it will be using port 22. The HA SSH add-on will also be trying to use port 22, so you’ll need to change it to another number, like 23, then restart the add-on. You can do this in the config page for the add-on.

From then on you’ll access the Debian OS via port 22 and HA via port 23.

Thank you!!! That’s exactly what I needed :slight_smile:

Hello,

Thank you for making this great guide.
I would like to report that I encountered the following error during installation of HA step.

Error response from daemon: Get "https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/": dial tcp: lookup registry-1.docker.io on [::1]:53: read udp [::1]:42193->[::1]:53: read: connection refused

Fixed by following this guide - other methods of setting DNS didn’t work for me.
https://www.tecmint.com/set-permanent-dns-nameservers-in-ubuntu-debian/

@Marquo I have the same issue! What part of the guide did the trick? I already had the 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4 nameservers in my /etc/resolv.conf file

@Depechie The last section of the guide. My /etc/resolv.conf is actually default, DNS nameservers are defined only in /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head.

1 Like

Thanks for the guide and your time

I’m getting this error, when installing HA.

[info] Waiting for version.home-assistant.io - network interface might be down...
PING version.home-assistant.io(2606:4700:20::681a:5ee (2606:4700:20::681a:5ee)) 56 data bytes

--- version.home-assistant.io ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 0ms

Seems the version link is down when I try to access directly.

Network connection is working OK, all the other updates were completed correctly.

DNS set to 8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4.

No idea why is dropping packages from version.home-assistant.io :sob:

EDIT:

• Tried a blank install many times.
  • Followed above directions to setting the DNS in /etc/resolv.conf
  • still getting the error.
root@debian:~# dpkg -i homeassistant-supervised.deb

Selecting previously unselected package homeassistant-supervised.

(Reading database ... 135655 files and directories currently installed.)

Preparing to unpack homeassistant-supervised.deb ...

[warn] 

[warn] If you want more control over your own system, run

[warn] Home Assistant as a VM or run Home Assistant Core

[warn] via a Docker container.

[warn] 

[warn] ModemManager service is enabled. This might cause issue when using serial devices.

[info] Fix kernel dmesg restriction

Adding 'diversion of /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf to /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.real by homeassistant-supervised'

Adding 'diversion of /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/default to /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/default.real by homeassistant-supervised'

Adding 'diversion of /etc/docker/daemon.json to /etc/docker/daemon.json.real by homeassistant-supervised'

Adding 'diversion of /etc/network/interfaces to /etc/network/interfaces.real by homeassistant-supervised'

Unpacking homeassistant-supervised (1.0.2) ...

Setting up homeassistant-supervised (1.0.2) ...

[info] Restarting NetworkManager

[info] Restarting docker service

PING version.home-assistant.io(2606:4700:20::681a:5ee (2606:4700:20::681a:5ee)) 56 data bytes

--- version.home-assistant.io ping statistics ---

1 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 0ms

[info] Waiting for version.home-assistant.io - network interface might be down.. 

I am aware it is a DNS problem, the thing is that I dont understand where is coming from.
DNS are 8.8.8.8 , I cant ping any domain name, not only version.HA .
Maybe VM is the problem?

#  Dynamic resolv.conf(5) file for glibc resolver(3) generated by resolvconf(8)

#     DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE BY HAND -- YOUR CHANGES WILL BE OVERWRITTEN

# 127.0.0.53 is the systemd-resolved stub resolver.

# run "resolvectl status" to see details about the actual nameservers.

nameserver 8.8.8.8

nameserver 8.8.4.4

nameserver 2803:c800:0:78::3

For some reason I get this last nameserver that I don´t know what it is , after chaging the file with resolvconf.

EDIT 2
SOLVED

Virtual Machine
Debian 11
Bridge Connection

Debugging
Try to ping anything else, I tried ping google.com and also have me an error. 100% sure it is a DNS problem.

I did it in the graphic interface, network settings.

Disabled IPv6.
Changed IPv4 , DCHP Automatic, DNS disable Automatic
REBOOT

$ cat /etc/resolv.conf

Check to see if it doesnt have any other domain names appended.

For me changing it via terminal with /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head didn´t work.

What is the best way to shutdown?

Running on a laptop and had a powercut that was longer than the battery lasted… and when the power was back again everything worked, except z-wave, running zwaveJS2MQTT (the addon/integration).

Got it back to shape after a lot of work.

So now the idea is to shutdown the laptop in an orderly fashion, before it runs out of battery.

Did I trial by running shutdown from the terminal, and now the z-wave is misbehaving again…

Is there a difference in shutting down from the host side and hass side, would it be better to run the service hassio.host_shutdown?

Should it really matter if you shutdown from inside hass, or from the host side?

I successfully installed Debian 11 with Home Assistant on an old Dell laptop.
Everything works fine, as long as I don’t turn off the screen. As soon as the screen goes blank (power saver) bluetooth stops working (which is required by some of my smart home devices).
I can’t find any setting to force bluetooth to be running, and it actually looks like in settings that bluetooth is enabled, but it looses connection to the devices as soon as screen goes blank. Home Assistant still works outside of bluetooth, and it is accessible from the website and phone apps.
Anyone seen something similar or have any suggestions on how to be able to turn off the laptop screen but still have bluetooth fully active?

You could try this, it works on my Proxmox test laptop so I can close the screen and the machine stays on, may achieve what you what. (close the laptop instead of leaving the screen open)

sudo nano /etc/systemd/logind.conf

Paste this in at the bottom

HandleLidSwitch=ignore
HandleLidSwitchExternalPower=ignore
HandleLidSwitchDocked=ignore
1 Like

Hello! FAQ looks pretty good, but I can’t install docker-ce which needed to ha-supervised on my asus laptop eee-pc. Docker-ce is not installed. Debian 11, 32 bit. Help, please

you need Debian 64 bit I believe

Docker CE is supported on x86_64 (or amd64), armhf, and arm64 architectures only as far as I’m aware.

No way to start on my 32bit architecture?

Is there way to use it on 32bit?

I don’t think so. Check the installation docs for Docker on the docker site for the requirements.

I’ve got experience to start HA on this laptop yesterday, but it’s not supervised and without docker. How do you think will supervised version works with older docker’s version if I’ll find it?
Sorry for my english, it’s no pretty good.
And thanks for yours help of course

you won’t find a 32bit version. You should try HAOS instead of supervised

Got it. Thanks one more time