Installing Home Assistant Supervised using Debian 12

Anyone with any ideas here?

Forgot myself and rebooted from terminal (“outside” hass) and once again z-wave is misbehaving and haven’t yet managed to get it back to as it should…

Can’t see why it should behave like this, why rebooting from “inside” hass gives no problems, but from “outside” does.

You’re posting in the wrong thread mate, this is an install guide, not for Z Wave troubleshooting.

I’d suggest searching the forums for a similar issue or starting a new topic.

1 Like

Posted here since it feels like more of a problem based in the installation rather than the z-wave.

I base that on the different behaviour depending on how I shut down/restart my computer, from “Outside”, terminal in debian, it messes with the z-wave, but not when I do it from “inside” hass (reboot host, system) So feels like there is a difference in how HASS is shutdown.

So maybe not exactley installation-related, but maybe more on how some part inside the installation is done, if you get what I mean.

But will try and find a better place for my question

OK Thank you,

I saw in another thread that running the following could be a fix:

sudo systemctl enable systemd-resolved.service

I am just a little nervous about running commands I know nothing about, Linux is not my area of expertise lol

FYI, this will cause issues if anyone is running pihole on the same raspberry pi, since that uses port 53. One option to get around that would be to run pihole in docker and/or exposure it to a different port.

Anyone here have a ever-increasing var/log/journal? I noticed my drive was steadily climbing about a GB per day, turns out it’s journal files. Anyways, I’m viewing them and it’s nothing bad. Basically information about every little thing possible that occurred, no errors. So before I limit the size, is this happening to anyone else? It was not happening on buster. I updated about 5 days ago.

My /var/log/journal is about 2.8 GB, uptime 7 days currently.
Most of files looks quite old

I wanted to say – AWESOME JOB. I only ran into a few “glitches” and doing a google search was able to resolve them and get this process completed.

(1) I had the modem manager issue - and the systemctl disable ModemManager fixed that.

(2) I was then getting error:

Error response from daemon: Get “https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/”: dial tcp: lookup registry-1.docker.io on [::1]:53: read udp [::1]:60704->[::1]:53: read: connection refused
dpkg: error processing package homeassistant-supervised (–install):
installed homeassistant-supervised package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1

I have IPv6 enabled in my home with a pfSense Router/Firewall. I followed these instructions to disable it on Debian 11 - and the installation completed:

a) Edit the /etc/sysctl.conf file. – sudo nano /etc/sysctl.conf

b) Place the following entry to disable IPv6 for all adapters.
net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1

(For a particular adapter (If the network card name is enp0s3))
net.ipv6.conf.enp0s3.disable_ipv6 = 1

c) To reflect the changes execute the following command.
sudo sysctl -p

d) ip addr
– Verify there are no IPv6 addresses shown.

I simply re-ran this line: ** dpkg -i homeassistant-supervised.deb**

3 Likes

Proxmox 7.1-10 - Debian 11 bullseye w kernel Linux 5.12.19-6-pve

root@debian:~# sudo sysctl -p
net.ipv6.conf.all.disable_ipv6 = 1
root@debian:~# dpkg -i homeassistant-supervised.deb
(Reading database ... 44475 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to unpack homeassistant-supervised.deb ...
[warn]
[warn] If you want more control over your own system, run
[warn] Home Assistant as a VM or run Home Assistant Core
[warn] via a Docker container.
[warn]
[info] Fix kernel dmesg restriction
/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/preinst: line 21: /proc/sys/kernel/dmesg_restrict: Read-only file system
dpkg: error processing archive homeassistant-supervised.deb (--install):
 new homeassistant-supervised package pre-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
[info] Undo divert on abort-install
No diversion 'diversion of /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf to /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf.real by homeassistant-supervised', none removed.
No diversion 'diversion of /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/default to /etc/NetworkManager/system-connections/default.real by homeassistant-supervised', none removed.
No diversion 'diversion of /etc/docker/daemon.json to /etc/docker/daemon.json.real by homeassistant-supervised', none removed.
No diversion 'diversion of /etc/network/interfaces to /etc/network/interfaces.real by homeassistant-supervised', none removed.
[info] Resetting debconf selections
[info] Removal complete, due to the complexity of this installation method,
[info] you will need to manually remove the containers created by the supervisor
Errors were encountered while processing:
 homeassistant-supervised.deb

This is totally driving me nuts. Help please?

I mean how to fix this pretty please:

[info] Fix kernel dmesg restriction
/var/lib/dpkg/tmp.ci/preinst: line 21: /proc/sys/kernel/dmesg_restrict: Read-only file system
dpkg: error processing archive homeassistant-supervised.deb (--install):
 new homeassistant-supervised package pre-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1

Why would you run HA Supervised on Proxmox?
https://tteck.github.io/Proxmox/

2 Likes

I don’t want ha OS and I want HA installed in LXC not in a VM

Also I installed using the LXC script and I don’t see the community add-ons section.

For what reason? I’m interested to know.

I have a dev supervised in a VM too. I don’t like HAOS.

I need much more control over the base OS. My hands are tied with ha-cli. It’s too much to bear with. Also, non-supervised is a no-no, since can’t add community add-ons for some reason, regardless of how I install HA with HAOS

Well, while I was starting to feel comfortable with Home Assistant and I liked it, because of these issues I have started looking for alternatives today. It’s regrettable, I am not 100% ready to leave, depends on what alternatives I may find.

With what specifically, and why? Running a HA OS VM along side other LXC or VMs is easy to manage and keeps HA isolated from issues from other things you may be trying to do.

2 Likes

Let me give you an example. I have HA in a VM and some log fills the data partition badly, blocking any move. I extended the disk from proxmox and booted with an utility “CD-ROM” and extended the data partition and now all I am getting is a boot loop. I have no clue where to look and how to troubleshoot this in a closed box OS. Happy? I have backups, I can reinstall and restore the config in minutes, but I can’t restore each time honestly.

This is all I see in the console. Any ideas please @kanga_who ?

We are probably getting a little off topic and should move this over a Proxmox thread.

Then address this issue.

I have run a HA OS VM in Proxmox for a couple of years now, I don’t have this issue. If it’s the HA logs files, not sure as you haven’t been specific, you can help to reduce the amount of logging by changing your recorder config in configuration.yaml to something like this (edit as you need).

recorder:
  db_url: !secret maria_db
  purge_keep_days: 7
  include:
    domains:
      - sensor
      - binary_sensor
      - switch
      - light
      - device_tracker
      - vacuum
      - group
      - input_boolean
      - cover
      - person
      - counter
      - timer
      - climate
      - lock
      - fan
  exclude:
    event_types:
      - service_removed
      - service_executed
      - platform_discovered
      - homeassistant_start
      - homeassistant_stop
      - feedreader
      - service_registered
      - call_service
      - component_loaded
      - logbook_entry
      - system_log_event
      - automation_triggered
      - script_started
      - timer_out_of_sync

If it’s a logging issue in Proxmox, then do some reading up on that and look for a fix.

It would guess you have done something in error during this process if you are getting a boot loop. Trash the VM and start again. If you haven’t already, you could take a look here for some pointers.

1 Like