Installing zigbee2mqtt

After pairing a Philips Hue bulb I have noticed that there is no transition time when changing brightness or color with a Hue bulb from HA. It changes instantly and doesn´t look nice.
With the Philips Hue bridge there is a soft transition between brightness and color changes.
Is this not possible with Zigbee2mqtt?

Within the directory structure of zigbee2mqtt there is a database, for your network of known devices. That files name is “database.db” . That’s the master list.

It should. Not sure whats happening there.
This is a snip from my Devices.yaml:

'0x7ce524000011af6a':
  friendly_name: 'GEbulb_Hall_celing'
  retain: false
'0x7ce5240000125b57':
  friendly_name: 'Drafting_lamp'
'0x841826000007878a':
  friendly_name: 'Bed_lamp(RGBW)'

Maybe you tried to rename from within Hass at a point and it’s remembering that change?

I’m not sure.
This is how I transition one lamp I have. it’s not a Hue bulb though. I don’t think it matters.:

- id: tvlamp-to-40
  alias: TV lamp to 40ish%
  initial_state: True
  hide_entity: False
  trigger:
    platform: time
    at: '22:00:00'
  action:
    data:
      brightness: 111
      transition: 4
      color_temp: 350
    service: light.turn_on
    entity_id:  light.0xf0d1b80000032faa_light

This has a nice transition form state to state.

Hope its of help.

Within the directory structure of zigbee2mqtt there is a database, for your network of known devices. That files name is “database.db” . That’s the master list.
But you change the names in Z2M configuration.yaml?

It should. Not sure whats happening there.
This is a snip from my Devices.yaml:
Is your entity in HA like this then: light.GEbulb_Hall_celing?
I don´t think I ever renamed this entity from within Hass so it is strange.
update: Strangely when turning the light on or off from the frontend it has a soft transition.

I’m not sure.
This is how I transition one lamp I have. it’s not a Hue bulb though. I don’t think it matters.:
The transition I think of is when you change state from the frontend. With a bulb connected through the Hue bridge I get a soft transition when chaning brightness or color.
In the log it says transition time=0 but Wonder if this a general setting that can be changed

7/14/2019, 10:22:20 AM - info: Zigbee publish to device ‘0x0017880100be4261’, genLevelCtrl - moveToLevelWithOnOff - {“level”:7,“transtime”:0} - {“manufSpec”:0,“disDefaultRsp”:0} - null

7/14/2019, 10:22:17 AM - info: Zigbee publish to device ‘0x0017880100be4261’, lightingColorCtrl - moveToColor - {“transtime”:0,“colorx”:29098,“colory”:33882} - {“manufSpec”:0,“disDefaultRsp”:0} - null

In configuration.yaml I have: devices: devices.yaml
All the renaming is done in the file: devices.yaml

It looks like this in Hass.
Capture
The drafting and bed lamp I renamed again from with in Hass.
Capture2

I don’t know enough about Z2M device configuration to offer help. I would think there would be a place to override default device configuration. However I’m unsure.

In configuration.yaml I have: devices: devices.yaml
** All the renaming is done in the file: devices.yaml**

I can´t find a file called devices.yaml in the same folder as my configuration.yaml but devices are mentioned in configuration.yaml. Is this what you mean by devices.yaml?

homeassistant: true
permit_join: true
mqtt:
  base_topic: zigbee2mqtt
  server: 'mqtt://192.168.1.13:1883'
  user: xxx
  password: xxx
serial:
  port: /dev/ttyACM0
devices:
  '0x0017880100be4261':
    friendly_name: lamp
  '0x00158d0002af6b02':
    friendly_name: '0x00158d0002af6b02'

It seems that it is not possible to change the entity id BEFORE it is imported into Hass. I thought the friendly name in Z2M config.yaml would be used as entity id in Hass but it seems not to be the case.

Come on, format your code.

devices.yaml, It has to be created by hand. In the same directory as configuration.yaml.

Then from configuration.yaml you copy all devices listed under “devices:” to the file “devices.yaml”.

And then in configuration.yaml add “devices: devices.yaml” instead of the relocated device list.

Hope it helps.

1 Like

ups… sorry :slight_smile:

okay does this look right then? Are the apostrophes and indents the same as in config.yaml?
devices.yaml

'0x0017880100be4261':
    friendly_name: lamp
  '0x00158d0002af6b02':
    friendly_name: '0x00158d0002af6b02'

Two space’s to many on all lines.
Then your good to go.

done, thanks :slight_smile:

I have Tuya ZigBee3.0 TRV devices. I have connected them with zigbee2mqtt. I got the
“Device joined the Zigbee2MQTT network
Name: 0xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Vendor: TuYa, Description: Radiator valve with thermostat”

notification but I can’t find the device anywhere. Zigbee2mqtt version is 1.16.1.
Zigbee configuration is as follows:

homeassistant: true
permit_join: true
mqtt:
  base_topic: zigbee2mqtt
  server: 'mqtt://localhost'
serial:
  port: /dev/ttyACM0

Do you have mqtt discovery turned in ha?

Yes. The mqtt topic zigbee2mqtt/0xXXXXXXXXXXX is also populated when I manually change temperature for instance.
My homeassistant version is 0.111.4.

{"auto_lock":"MANUAL","away_mode":"OFF","away_preset_days":1,"away_preset_temperature":15,"boost_time":300,"child_lock":"UNLOCKED","comfort_temperature":20,"current_heating_setpoint":"26.0","eco_temperature":15,"force":"normal","holidays":[{"hour":134,"minute":0,"temperature":20},{"hour":8,"minute":0,"temperature":15},{"hour":11,"minute":30,"temperature":15},{"hour":12,"minute":30,"temperature":15},{"hour":17,"minute":30,"temperature":20},{"hour":22,"minute":0,"temperature":15}],"linkquality":21,"local_temperature":"25.0","local_temperature_calibration":"-2.0","max_temperature":35,"min_temperature":5,"position":10,"preset":"manual","system_mode":"manual","update_available":false,"week":"5+2","window_detection":"OFF","window_detection_params":{"minutes":10,"temperature":10},"workdays":[{"hour":6,"minute":0,"temperature":20},{"hour":8,"minute":0,"temperature":15},{"hour":11,"minute":30,"temperature":15},{"hour":12,"minute":30,"temperature":15},{"hour":17,"minute":30,"temperature":20},{"hour":22,"minute":0,"temperature":15}]}

No climate entity in dev tools?

The homeassistant/climate/0xXXXXXXXXXXXXX/climate/config seems to be populated too. Yeah I can’t see the device on climate in dev tools.

anything in logs?

I have checked the https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/devices/TS0601_thermostat.html page. The manual entity does not seem to be supported by my HASS version.

And as you have stated in the logs it says:
Unable to parse JSON climate:

homeassistant/climate/0xXXXXXXXXXXXXX/climate/config

What does this entry say?

I have finally stopped being stubborn and updated to HASS 118. The climate component is working now. Thanks for pointing me to the right direction Nick.