Insteon Mini Remote

Anyone using the insteon 8 button mini remote with HA … I have tried everything I can find and unable to see any events from the remote in the latest version of HA.

Hi Gary. I’ve had success, but I had to add the remote to the integration manually and I had to use a very specific subcat value of 0x1b (which I found here and was different to what HouseLinc reported as the correct code to use).

With that in place, I’ve been able to detect button presses with an automation trigger looking like this:

Is this information what you’re after?

Thanks, for the reply. That is what I tried with no success. THarris shows the 8 button was 0x1b but then he corrected to 0x1a … Guess I’ll try again with both codes. Thanks again.

One other thing I can think of at the moment is to ensure that your remote and hub are linked together correctly. I don’t remember the specific steps to achieve this (or even the “recommended” ones), but I found a copy of HouseLinc online, installed it on my Windows machine, and used that to verify the linking.

Hello, I have the Insteon Remote2 8-button hooked up to the ISY and HA and all working well interacting well with existing other Insteon devices. However, I have a unused button on the remote that I am trying to use to control other non-insteon devices. When I look at HA, I see the device unavailable.

I see you guys have been able to use events to sense the remote button press, and seems like there is some unique configuration through the configuration YAML? Can you help me out on how to do this as I am a bit lost. Please provide which specific YAML file and what info to add.

Much appreciated…

No additional yaml needed. The remote does not show up as device. I was able to use node-red to capture button presses to control non insteon devices. Simple flow, the switch just checks for which button a, b, etc.

I was wondering if you had a little more detail on how you used node-red for this. I have not used it before. If not maybe direct me to some good documentation.

There are plenty of good youtube videos for beginners on Node-Red. HA automations have come a long way since I started with HA. I’ll see if I can duplicate it with and HA automation and let you know.

Thank you!

Did not have any luck with the automation as I do every thing in node-red.
In node red … add the events:all node: fill in as in screen shot from original post
add the switch node: and complete as attached pic.,
then add the call service node for the entity you are controlling.

Thank you I will try this.

I got it working. I had to do it a little different though. Are you using the insteon hub or the isy?

insteon hub

Ok, that is probably why I had an issue. ISY had number values not on or off. 0 or 255. Thank you for the help and getting me on my way.