Insteon PLM - Leak sensor

Does anyone know how I can connect an insteon leak sensors with the insteon plm usb?

I have paired the sensor with the plm. I see the binary_sensor in HA but when the sensor is triggered, I never receive the state in HA.

Just so you know, the insteon_plm module has been signficntly upgraded for release 0.65.0. The leak sensor will work well except the ability to monitory battery life (which I am working on). Love to get feedback if you can.

OK, eating my words. The leak sensor is not working in the current code. There is an update in my git repo. You can download the code from here.
Module insteonplm:
insteonplm/devices/securityHealthSafety.py
insteonplm/states/sensor.py

Module homeassistant:
homeassistant/components/insteon_plm.py
homeassistant/components/binary_sensor/insteon_plm.py
Please replace the current files with these files and restart HA. I have tested the code as best I can but I don’t own one of these leak sensors so I cannot test if it works.

Cool good news!!!

Do you have implemented the heartbeat for the leak sensor?

Yes, it captures the heartbeat and used it to confirm the state. So it does confirm state at least once per day. What id does not do is confirm the device is responding. So if it does not receive a heartbeat it does not alert currently. It is in the base library but not in HA yet.

The leak sensor update is in version 0.66.0. Please let me know if it solves your issue.

Hi,
I just tried and only one of the leak sensors is detected. They are correctly in the insteon db.

How many do you have? Are you running on hass.io or some other platform?

Do they get randomly detected? I have a total of five and they used to get randomly detected after rebooting. Now, with version 0.66.1, none of them get detected. I’m running HASSio in my case.

I have 4 leak sensors. Always the same was detected with a _2 after the id code name.

I am using hassio.

I am reasonably convinced this is a hassio issue given that the problems you are talking about seem to only be reported by hassio users. I just posted an update that will change the device loading process to use the saved devices and the device_override config. This will ensure loads are much more consistent. It will at least eliminate the known issue were the all-link database does not fully load.

I found the issue with the leak sensors not showing wet/dry correctly. I just pushed a change that will address it. I also pushed a change that should make device discovery more consistent. You should see it in the next release.

@teharris1 , thank you for your work, I think you have solved all the issues I had with my leak sensors. I just need to test them, but they are now showing up consistently in the interface and they are staying dry so far.

Thanks!

@Madelinot Did you ever test going form wet to dry? I have another user who is indicating that the device never shows dry once it gets wet.

@teharris1 Yes, everything seems to be working normally. Of course, you have to reset the sensor by pressing on the sensor button after it went back to dry.

Is this a button on the leak sensor itself? If so would you mind commenting on this post?

Yes, the reset button on top of the sensors itself.

That is precisely what the instructions say to do:

“After you receive an alert on your mobile device, reset the Leak Sensor by tapping the set button and return the Leak Sensor to its location.”

https://www.wellbots.com/content/Insteon/INSTEON%20Water%20Leak%20Sensor%20Quick%20Start%20Guide.pdf

That’s interesting information . . . I hadn’t looked at the quick start guide – the device doesn’t come with hard copy instructions anymore – only the user’s manual*, and didn’t see that important point about resetting the unit after it gets wet. I just figured you had to pull the battery!

*I think it was reasonable to assume that the user’s manual would contain all the critical info from the quick start guide.

FYI on a breaking change to both insteon_plm and insteonlocal. Please see this thread and give your input: