Integrate Kogan SmarterHome products into HA

Looking at the Tuya component docs it seems that they need to talk to a cloud server and then HA picks them up from there… not sure I like that idea since it would introduce lag and means reliance on an internet connection

Yes, the HA implementation does only work with the Tuya Cloud-Service. The Kogan app is using its own Tuya instance which is not accessible from HA.

Therefore the Kogan devices have to be registered in the Tuya app… at least the bulbs are working for me this way.

I have used it the same way for a few other devices (e.g. humidifier, smart sockets) which are compatible with Tuya.

Ah damn. Back to the plan of using zwave switches for my existing heating then.

There are heater panels on the Kogan site which are suppose to work with the same app, they might be compatible with Tuya, but I have not tested

Yes they were the products I was going to test (very cheap!). However I am not interested in components that use cloud services.

Thanks everyone, finally got it working perfectly in HA.

Here’s what I did:

• installed Tuya app
  • created an account on Tuya app (used exact same details as Kogan app)
  • set up the light globes in the Tuya app (this removed them from the Kogan app)
  • added the basic config to my HA configuration.yaml file (as per the Tuya component page)
  • restarted HA and voila! the lights appeared

Now to start adding some automations.

Regarding the Tuya service accessing the cloud, I actually prefer this. In my setup I have all my IOT things segregated from my main home network. The only way I could access the lights using the Kogan app was to be connect to the IOT network. With the Tuya app (and connected in HA) I can access the light settings from anywhere.

Once again, thanks all.
RE

I just hooked up my Kogan Aircon, to the Tuya app. But I had a few issues that I resolved:

First, I’m on a windows install of Home Assistant.

In my config file, I put this in:

tuya:
  username: 0400000000
  password: !secret tuya_password
  country_code: 61

It didn’t work, the command prompt for home assistant complained it couldn’t get into it.

So I registered my new account on the Tuya app using my email.
Then I had to go in and register my phone number.
I hit the Me button in the bottom right, went to account security and register number. I got a text, then entered the 6 digit code.

After that, my config settings worked.

Next, I had to re-pair my aircon to the Tuya app instead of the Kogan one.
I didn’t bother de-registering it. I just clicked add device in the Tuya App, after picking Airconditioner in the first Home Appliances tab.

I held the “Speed” Button for 10 seconds, and got three beeps. The Wifi LED started flashing. This little detail is not present in any online manuals. “Refer to device specific pairing method”. Dick move.

After I hit confirm indicated rapid blink, I gave it my Wifi Password. Android keyboard kept sticking a space at the end of the password when I entered it. It scanned, and the aircon was added at about the 47% mark.

The device pops up as:
climate.71645600b4e62d210c2

I stuck that in the lovelace ui via a thermostat card.

2 Likes

slightly off topic FYI, Kmart sell similar tuya bulbs to kogan at a better single unit price (difference being 9w vs 10w) branded as “Mirabella Genio”

kogan are probably better value if you’re buying the 4 pack

Bunnings sell a better smart plug for $20 thought as it has a built-in USB outlet (also tuya based)
Mirabella Genio sells the same smart plug as bunnings for $29

I’ve managed to flash the plug with tasmota to get away from cloud dependancy
Havent tried flashing the bulbs yet

hey fam,

your humidifier, did you do anything special with it?

I have a renpho humidifier, its tuya based and I used the tuya app to connect it, its showing up in tuya but not in Home Assistant… my tuya bulb shows up fine but not this humidifier / light

Just bought a couple of the brilliant smart switches from bunnings, used tuya-convert to flash with tasmota, then migrated to esphome.
They seem to work fine.

1 Like

Please provide some details on the tuya-convert as I was looking for the same.

Just follow the instructions, Used a spare raspberry pi for the WIFI part.

1 Like

Thanks a lot … Now I know what to do next weekend :slight_smile:

can i ask why esphome over just sticking with tasmota? what benefits ?

the API is just easier to integrate

1 Like

has anyone tried the kogan smart plug with power monitoring ?
i have got it working via the Tuya app and HA
but the monitoring is not available.
Just wondering if the Tuya Conversion process , to tasmota would work?
because tasmota has power monitoring via MQTT built in

I’ve just got a 4 pack of the Kogan’s, thinking of doing just that so I can get energy monitoring.

I’ve also got the 4 pack of Kogan smart plugs with power monitoring, used tuya-convert to flash Tasmota with no problems but haven’t yet worked out the GPIO settings to get it working.
So far I have GPIO14 set to Relay1 (21) and GPIO13 set to Led1i (56) and toggling the relay and the main LED appear to be working but no button yet.
I’ve opened the unit and confirmed it has the Tuya TYWE3S WiFi module and HLW8012 power sensor doing power monitoring so I’m thinking it will need a custom template to configure but haven’t managed to find anything online yet.

I’m looking forward to see how you go with this. I just successfully flashed a couple of the Bunnings ‘Brilliant Smart Plugs’ with ESPhome but they don’t have power monitoring. I really like power monitoring for creating more sophisticated automations.

I went down this same path using Kogan branded Tuya smart plugs & flashing with Tasmota. I found that if you use the latest version of Tasmota (6.5.0) there are more options in the ‘Configuration Module’ drop-down. Went through a bunch of them and found that the Gosund SP1 module does the trick.

Everything appears to work great including all the power monitoring. Only thing that does not work is the button on the unit - nice to have but not a deal breaker for me.

I opened them up to flash - very easy to do & all the required connection points are labelled - (I just didn’t have all the necessary bits to do OTA flash)

1 Like