Integrate Kogan SmarterHome products into HA

I am using a incandescent bulb 60w and a brennenstuhl energy meter. After matching the voltage and current I get the following values:

228V , 0.26A and 109W.

I doubt if the power is calculated because it is measured with the CF pin. The cf1 pin is for volt and current. The calculated value should be right (228 * 0.26 = 60Watt )

Hi sparkydave, I have the same Kogan bulbs but using Tasmota, I am trying to configure with template, but canā€™t quite get it right. I have tried the template from Kang_who, but its not quite right, but was wondering if this maps well in ESPhome? Any tips for Tasmota?

Cheers,

Jays

Which bulb do you have? The reason I ask is that they have released some newer version since I made the Tasmota template, so it may be that you have a newer version, or slightly different model.

Hi Kanga_who, thanks for the reply mate. I have these ones

Have them flashed with Tasmota, but just trying to sort out the template, have you had any luck?

I havenā€™t tried any Kogan bulbs yet

The template I posted should work. The issue with those bulbs is the have no pure white channel, only a yellow white, you canā€™t get bright, pure white light. You can get it using the RGB channels, but the brightness is only about 20%.

I ditched mine due to that and got Arlec bulbs from Bunnings.

The latest Arlec bulbs are smaller, lighter and seem better made than the Kogan ones. However beware! They currently canā€™t be flashed with tuya-convert.

Hi there everyone!

I was wondering I got the Kogan smart plugs with 2x2.4 USB in the latest kogan deal. I was wondering if i should flash tasmota or esphome to the plugs. I donā€™t run any tuya based devices at the moment on HA.

I donā€™t run a MQTT server or even run tuya-convert yet. But depending on recommendations I can set what ever is better all up. Currently running HA in docker (not hassio), So it requires a little more work to setup MQTT etc :).

Thanks everyone!

@thekow - ESPhome has native api integration with HA.

There is a template for this device here

No MQTT needed!

Guess that solves that issue :).

Now we play the waiting game.

Has anyone managed to get a working esphome config for the Kogan Smarterhome Kettle?
Iā€™m assuming we cannot get temp from this configuration?

There is a Tasmota template available so you could just convert that to ESPhome. This has to be done manually but is pretty easy following the docs for Tasmota templates to work out what each parameter is set to.

1 Like

Thanks Dave, managed to setup the Tasmota template and a few input selects for the keep warm function. Working well at the moment so if it isnā€™t broke, I shouldnā€™t fix it.

Hi just got my kogan + usb plugs and setting up a rpi for tuya-convert. Is there a comprhensive guide to flashing the firmware thatā€™s recent? I see you are supposed to use tasmota 7 to flash esphome?

You dont need to use Tasmota at all if you plan to put ESPhome on it. Flash ESPhome straight up

1 Like

Thanks.

I have setup ESPHome dashboard in docker. Just have to get the right config into the esphome dashboard and then i can use the tuya-convert to flash it. I watch quinorā€™s video seems straight forward.

Just compile the ESPhome .bin file and put it in the correct folder in tuya-convert. From there you can select to flash it to the device. Nice and easy

Thanks for the help. Let you know how it goes.

Hi everyone.

Question 1!!

I have one plug now flashed with esphome and itā€™s in HA automatically. I just looked at the calibrations they are a little off which means I have to fiddle with the variables. I used the default template off the esphome template site.

Power meter V kogan plug (using a 53w bulb)

Watts: Pm: 53.4 KP: 53.2
Amps : Pm: 0.222A KP: 0.12A
Voltage: PM: 235.3 KP: 228.4V

# Higher value gives lower watt readout
  current_res: "0.00225"
  # Lower value gives lower voltage readout
  voltage_div: "805"

Can someone help with the calculations to get it a little closer to the power meter.

Question 2!!

Now that the plug is in the esphome dashboard. Can I just uploaded the firmware via there when i adjust the changes or should I flash via the tuya-convert again?

Thanks for all the help with the dumb questions everyone!

Calibrate the voltage first, then the power figure

As long as you included the line-

ota:

in your ESPhome.bin file, you can go to the IP address of the device in Chrome and upload a new file from there.