Integrating Blue Iris into Home Assistant

Had a rather annoying and time-consuming issue last night. I renamed a camera and tried to reload the integration but the old name was stuck in the list under configuration of the BI in HA.

Could not get rid of it or add the new one - error every time.

Had to remove the integration and set it up again but it had changed the prefix name of all of my entities. You can imagine all of my dashboards had entity does not exist!
So had to manually update all the names of the entity ID’s 1 by 1.
Not sure if I did something wrong or that was just a bug or new coding of entity name integrations.

I read it while researching this setup. It was a forum post by BI staff. It was so many years ago I don’t remember exactly where it was.

Today the integration stopped working, any hint?

Mine is working fine. HA 2022.10.3

a restart did the trick

1 Like

I am aware this is a fairly dated thread but I am trying to move away from the HomeSeer platform and sandboxing HA in a virtual environment.
I want to add BI which I have been using for many years and have it integrated with HS. Tried my hand of doing just the basic install however it will not accept the BI server details. I can successfully connect to BI with same credentials using UI3. Is there a setting or permission I have to set for HA to talk to BI?

So I know this thread is old…and everyone has moved on…but it is still alive…so here goes.

I can stream my cameras easily to the mobile app using the the built-in camera integration and this all works without exposing anything to the Internet (except HA via nabucasa). But, the video quality is terrible, it’s very lagged, and very slow to get going.

In contrast is I stream directly from BI the quality and responsiveness is much better. If I access the BI platform via a ZeroTier connection the same is also true…

But, if I create an iframe to stream the BI UI directly this only works locally…not remotely. It actually complains about not being able to include http content in a secure frame (or something like that).

I’ve followed the excellent guide above set all of this up and it all works…but only if I open BI to the Internet. I’ve managed to get this all working internally on my network using hairpin NAT, so everything thinks it’s connecting to https://randomdomain/ui3 but really it is all being bounced around inside the local network between the HA box (in one subnet) and the BI box (in another subnet).

I had rather hoped that once HA could access this https-based feed that my cameras would stream directly via HA, but alas no…on the local network it works just fine, remotely it all fails - presumably because the iframe on the client device is trying to directly access the specified resources (via the Internet) rather than those requests being routed/proxied to the client via HA.

I really would prefer not to expose BI to the Internet - it works pretty good as a NVR but I have zero faith in its inherent security capabilities so really would prefer to leave it hiding behind my firewall.

Is there any way to do what I want…exposed but not really exposed?

Alternatively is there anyway of doing something like ZeroTier transparently at an application level - i.e. HA on a client device always connects via zero tier to HA and BI, but nothing else does. And then on top of that, ideally still being able to run a separate consumer-grade VPN on the client device (e.g. NordVPN) that doesn’t prevent operation (assuming the NordVPN app is configured to allow the HA client to bypass the VPN).

It feels like this shouldn’t be such a hard problem…and yet it is… :frowning:

@ChirpyTurnip Getting Blue Iris NVR working · Issue #4 · lovelylain/hass_ingress · GitHub

Right! So this is very cool! :slight_smile:

I have undone everything and just implemented HASS_INGRESS instead. So much better!

What I want to figure out now is why the video footage via HA is always lagged by 10-15s. There should be no reason for this…a few seconds yes…but not so much time that the parcel delivery truck has come and gone before HA sees him coming up the driveway…

OK…so…progress…using the javascript H264 player the latency vanished and it was only ~1 second behind. :slight_smile:

I have some other odd issues though…I will add that the Github issue to which you linked.

Thanks!