Integration with Southern California Edison

Could you provide the specific name, and maybe the repo, for the Emporia integration in HACS?

Searching for “Emporia” doesn’t turn up any results for me just now.

Thanks!

In case you didn’t figure it out yet (it took me a bit of digging), you have to add a custom repo to HACS. See the install instructions at GitHub - magico13/ha-emporia-vue: Home Assistant Integration for Emporia Vue Energy Monitor

1 Like

Hi Have you or anyone here recently purchased a rainforest EMU 2? This seems to the be superior device to the eagle and has the most support on here.
However I cannot seem to find any for sale in the obvious places.

Thank you,

For those interested in getting the tariffs from SCE

- sensor:
    - name: "TOU Season"
      unique_id: 14d92f63-ddcd-4f0f-b527-4991c4793468
      state: "{{ ['Winter', 'Summer'][now().month >= 6 and now().month < 10] }}"
      icon: mdi:weather-cloudy-clock
- sensor:
    - name: "TOU Peak"
      unique_id: 04f44c76-13a6-46c7-b360-b3c8a1cdd2ab
      icon: mdi:calendar-clock
      state: >
        {% set is_weekend = now().strftime("%w") == 0 or now().strftime("%w") == 6 %}

{% if states('sensor.tou_season') == "Summer" %}
          {% if now().hour >= 16 and now().hour < 21 %}
            {% if is_weekend %}
              {{ "Mid-Peak" }}
            {% else %}
              {{ "On-Peak" }}
            {% endif %}
          {% else %}
            {{ "Off-Peak" }}
          {% endif %}
        {% else %}
          {% if now().hour >= 16 and now().hour < 21 %}
            {{ "Mid-Peak" }}
          {% elif now().hour >= 21 or now().hour < 8 %}
            {{ "Off-Peak" }}
          {% else %}
            {{ "Super Off-Peak" }}
          {% endif %}
        {% endif %}
- sensor:
    - name: "TOU Cost"
      unique_id: 569d41e9-95dc-480a-830e-c00bcd03bef3
      icon: mdi:currency-usd
      device_class: monetary
      unit_of_measurement: "$/kWh"
      state: >
        {% if states('sensor.tou_season') == "Summer" %}
          {{ {"Off-Peak": 0.23, "On-Peak": 0.54, "Mid-Peak": 0.23}[states('sensor.tou_peak')] }}
        {% else %}
          {{ {"Super Off-Peak": 0.22, "Off-Peak": 0.22, "Mid-Peak": 0.50}[states('sensor.tou_peak')] }}
        {% endif %}
- sensor:
    - name: "Today's Energy Cost"
      unique_id: 89fae27e-d7cb-436e-b123-7afc8706922f
      unit_of_measurement: "$"
      state: "{{ (
        (states('sensor.energy_used_today') | round(2))
        * (states('sensor.tou_cost') | round(2))
        ) | round(2) }}"
      device_class: monetary
7 Likes

Just placed an order for the emporia Vue.
I was trying to get the rate structure in preparation for when I configure the sensor, but I am new to Home Assistant.
Not sure where I would add this code.
Can someone point me to an article or describe how to / where to set up these new sensors?
Appreciate the help!

These are templates that will create sensor in your Home Assistant instance. Those sensor will report some values depending on the settings and the data source you will provide.
You can use these sensor to show the data in any cards you want (more or less).

A few quick notes as we move into 2024.

For Southern California Edison, I ordered the Emporia Vue. This specific model:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084T6HGNR

I registered it with SCE’s HAN website and within ~1 business day it’s now up and working. The Home Assistant integration for Vue works just fine, I can see power.

I’m on the tiered rate plan, otherwise called the “DOMESTIC” rate on the bill. That generally corresponds to this:

My next step will be to figure out how to pull in those rates. The templates above are all around season and costs at different times of the day, my rate plan changes after I hit my max in tier 1.

Not sure how to do this yet. I do know what my baseline allocation is, perhaps storing that as a static variable/helper and then scraping the tiered pricing down?

Related but not - in many communities in SoCal SCE delivers the power but does not actually generate it. My generation comes from the Clean Power Alliance, which has its own rates that vary depending upon how clean your power is. Their 100% green power is the default option which is higher than SCE’s rates or even their other options, so just knowing that and making a phone call to select a different plan might result in a per month savings.

1 Like