Intercept switch on and change action

Hello,
I was thinking about the solution for my wife’s need of phisical switches and my desire of using colored bulbs.
The problem is that if you kill the light from the switch, than your smart colored bulb is … dead … and not smart anymore …
So I imagine 2 options:

1. Direct wire the switch and replace the wall one with a ZWave remote.
  2. Add a dimmer behind the standard switch (dimmer as I have a 2 wire) … but this will still kill the smart bulb. I was thinking about making it in such a way that when someone is using the switch, to ‘intercept’ the On/Off and instead of turning off the dimmer to turn off the bulb.
    Can I do this in HA ? Cancel the Off from the dimmer and instead turning off the bulb ?

Wich one of the above would you recommend ? Other solution maybe ?

Thank you!

1. Reprogram your wife.
2 Likes

does she need physical switches or wired physical switches

You can mount some smart device under physical switch (with or without relay ie shelly i3) connect physical switch to its imput, control bulb via DDD if possible or via HA. Having 2-gang physical switch you can use one button for on/off, second for changing color schemas.

All of those approaches have one common cons: bulb is not controlled by physical switch/relay. But I suppose it’s not an issue since you want colour bulbs

Thank you! Thats interesting! Are there Zwave versions of the same ? I am kinda on the Zwave path with all my devices …
PS: I will check if my dimmer behing the switch may be as well programmed to do a “zWave action/scene” rather than interupting the circuit but I doubt it.

I removed all physical switches from my house and installed ZigBee remotes in their place.
I can pick scenes, dim, control media players etc all from one place.

1 Like

If you want to keep a switch there, there are options. Do you have a neutral there?

No neutral :(. It seems in (most ?) EU countries neutral is not a thing :slight_smile:

So you actualy did my option 1 above.
I did similar in my living room, where I have a 2-wire zwave dimmer replacing the normal swicth for my main light (diming 3 white led bulbs) and a REMOTEC ZRC-90 for the rest of the lights/colors/music on Alexa etc.

I am a bit reluctant to change to full remotes in case my HA (on synology docker) dies … but I guess this may be the easiest. Aeotec WallMote looks nice.

PS: Also one time my power went down for 30 mins and turned on my zwave bulbs after uhh !

Thnaks for the feedback!
PS: I dont use zigbee … had issues recognising my devices initialy … maybe a stick issue … nevertheles I gave up and went full zwave.

Again Shelly - I will check it out … not sure if they work on no neutral …

There are a few Shelies which work without N.
Actually the Shelly is selling a part called “bypass” which is dedicated to work with their Shelly 1L (this one has the bypass included into package) and Dimmer2. But while the idea behind how it works is clear, it must not work with other devices (otherwise Shelly would have been advertising that)

I don’t know. I’m mainly “Shelly man” with a few Zigbees.

Thank you! I will check!

Somewhat the same situation for me too.
I need to keep the switches on the wall but convert their action to “software” on/off instead of hard power on/off.

So the solution i will try is to use this kind of switches:
Aqara

Or the ones from Bticino / Legrand or Gewiss (and others)

Best regards
Bogdan

Thank you for the options!