Introducing Home Assistant Cloud

Thanks @adast - I got it working in the end by redoing the Alexa pairing on a web browser (laptop) instead of the mobile app - it then worked :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Seems a bit archaic to be going down the path of a subscription service. Many of the security home services which only worked via a subscription have moved away from that model. Whilst I think there is benefit in linking HA to Alexa or Google Assist it doesn’t seem to be of value financially if you have to pay US$5/mnth for the service.

I have four multi switches which cost me $50 each and to access them via Alexa I will have to pay $5 a month. I can buy TP-Link smart switches for the same price which allow me to control whatever is plugged into the outlet with no cost.

So what is the benefit of paying for a service when I can do the same thing for free with a different product?

1 Like

You don’t have to pay for HA Cloud to control with Alexa or Google Assistant. The HA Cloud is just another easier to set up option for people that don’t want to muck around and wand an easy setup they are happy to pay $5 a month for - but it’s YOUR choice. You don’t have to pay to use Alexa or GA!

1 Like

The threat says that Home Assistant Cloud whilst currently free will move to a subscriptions service. If you dont need HA Cloud to control devices with Alexa or Google Assistant how does that set up work?

1 Like

It’s worth reading this and other threads. As has already been said here, this is just another option. You don’t need HA Cloud, you can chose to use it if you want to support the project, or if you don’t like the idea of exposing your HA instance to the Internet.

The existing components aren’t going away. If you don’t want to use the HA Cloud service, nobody’s going to force you.

No matter how it’s done, it also expose your ha to the internet. HA Cloud is in internet and communicate with your local instance.
The main advantage of ha cloud is simplicity.

However, indirectly, and in a manner that’s going to be much more secure.

I’m not sure I completely understand, can I remotely connect to my instance via the cloud and close the port on my router? If so how do I connect?

If you’ve closed the port, you can’t connect remotely. However for people who’re only enabling remote access to their HA system for Alexa or Google Home integration, the cloud: component allows you to close that.

Oh ok, that makes sense, so for now I still need to go through my router using let’s encrypt?

For what? For your own remote access, yes (unless you want to install a VPN). For Alexa or Google Assistant integration, only if you want to use the components and not cloud:.

What will you be using as a payment processor PayPal would be Great for me and many others, also any chance you will go the same rout as Plex did with having a life time purchase or monthly subscription it I wouldn’t mind paying a little more as a one time fee

1 Like

I just wonder what is the reason for such a superfluous move… I respect the HA project a lot, but if Samsung smartthings has 123 euros and has this feature for free, what is the reason to choose ΗΑ? I know that HA is open source and has a big community with fast support and… BUT if in 2 years of cloud subscription i will spent 120 euro! I would prefer to choose samsung smartthings with the same price and have cloud for free. In fact you have become more expensive from samsung for those cloud services that are very important for Iot.

The reason? Making life easier for people.

You can chose to not use it, and use the components instead (and the Google Assistant component is quite tricky to set up), for free. Or you can chose to push a couple of buttons and be done, and pay for it.

Of course, if you’d taken a few minutes to read the blog article, or the posts on this thread, you’d have known that :wink:

4 Likes

Continuing on @Tinkerer’s statement that I 100% agree with is that HA does not rely on the cloud it’s just a add on where as SmartThings is 99.9% reliant on Cloud to function

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Alexa skill - unavailable message

Any plans to move the iOS notifications to use this cloud connection for sending notifications and action responses?

Would be a nice addition to see happen and adds value to justify the fee. Right now I prefer local Alexa control so not so interested in the cloud option.

REGARDING COST:
I dont care much for subscription models. It lends itself to Cost creep with little increase in benefit. I am also one to pennypinch and become annoyed by the constant need to remember some micropayment.

I do love Plex’s payment model.
Please provide a x1payment option. What about offering HomePass or HASSPASS or whatever??

1 Like

This worked for me thanks!