Invitation/project suggestion: An automated potted plant

Battery level and Deep sleep inbetween?

1 Like

I just received the water pump and it does not have 2 rubber diaphragm inside.
The original author mentioned it was important to work correctly with water: see here

Any of you got the right version, if so, can you provide a link where you bought it?

I got mine here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000974989453.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.7b971802lbIKC4

Yes, I think you are quite close. Just a few modifications:

2: The moisture will take time to disperse from the point of entry into the soil to the moisture sensor. So I think watering for a fixed time is the only option.
3: This could be a helper value.
5: It’s in the PCb design, connected to a wakeup pin. It just needs to be defined as such.
6: It’s in the PCb design. Toggles the whole thing.

I’ve made a flow-chart of the logic as I see it:

It can be edited here (just post a new link when you are done)

2 Likes

Thank you, helpful (as was the other response).

You will also need to have the ability to prevent deep sleep while you debug it and do any OTA update.
Automated plant watering

Looks like most of the work has been done in the link above.

Fine point. So the wakeup button is also a debugging button now. It makes the thing connect to wifi as the first thing and also wait an extra 5 mins or so before going to sleep again. For longer duration debugging, the wait can be increased first.

Looks like this:

(edit: yes I know. You cant connect to wifi and then wakeup after. But I suppose you get the idea anyway)

Strange, this is the exact same link I used to order mine…

Just wondering, why should it wait 5 minutes if “Was button wake up signal” is true? Why can it not just go into long sleep straigh away. Maybe there is a good reason, I just don’t know? pls let me know :wink:

It’s because we want to wait for an OTA update. In that update you can extend the 5 mins so you can work with the code, debug etc. If you don’t have the wait, chances are you can’t make it with an update before the ESP is sleeping again.

1 Like
mqtt:
  broker: 192.168.1.7
  username: Redacted
  password: Redacted
  birth_message:
    topic: solarplantwatering/birthdisable
    payload: disable
  will_message:
    topic: solarplantwatering/willdisable
    payload: disable
  discovery: true
  discovery_retain: true   
  on_message:
    - topic: solarplantwatering/ota_mode
      payload: 'ON'
      then:
        - logger.log: 'OTA Mode ON - Deep sleep DISABLED'
        - deep_sleep.prevent: deep_sleep_1
    - topic: solarplantwatering/sleepearly
      then:
        - deep_sleep.enter: deep_sleep_1        

#I have set a default run duration and sleep duration in case seomthing fails       
deep_sleep:
  id: deep_sleep_1
  run_duration: 60s
  sleep_duration: 30min            

I do it all with MQTT . I can send a message from homeassistant fast to turn off deep sleep for OTA and for when I want the pumps to work.

- id: '1650105153163'
  alias: Solar_watering_ota-ON
  description: ''
  trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: input_boolean.solar_watering_ota
    to: 'on'
  condition: []
  action:
  - service: mqtt.publish
    data:
      topic: solarplantwatering/ota_mode
      qos: '1'
      retain: true
    data:
      topic: solarplantwatering/sleepearly
      payload: 'OFF'
  mode: single

------------

- id: '1650105638216'
  alias: Solar_watering_ota_OFF
  description: ''
  trigger:
  - platform: state
    entity_id: input_boolean.solar_watering_ota
    to: 'off'
  condition: []
  action:
    data:
      topic: solarplantwatering/ota_mode
      payload: 'OFF'
    data:
      topic: solarplantwatering/sleepearly
# I have this set to true below but I think it should be false
  mode: single

This is 2 automations I use to turn on/off the OTA mode (really just deep sleep disable). I suppose I could just turn these into scripts as I have to set up an input boolean to connect these two automations to be a switch on/off. I can turn the OTA mode on at any time and the next time the esp comes out of sleep it doesn’t go back into deep sleep until I turn off the switch. This way no need to wait 5 mins to see if I want to do OTA. I use this a lot as I do a lot of tinkering with it. The sleepearly is sent when homeassistant gets the battery reading and can save seconds off being awake.

1 Like

Okay. But the device we are using right now doesn’t support MQTT. If we’re to use that we would have to switch board (and redisign the PCB to fit the new board).

Yes it does. What makes you think mqtt wouldn’t work?

I just got myself an update on youtube. I thought MQTT was like Zigbee but just a different standard, but it is not. It’s just a different way of using wifi.

Does ESPHome also make each client a broker so that the networks reach is extended with each device added? That would make our pot usable in the garden as well. I could even have some nice flowers in my garage :smiley:

I don’t think ESPhome has mesh yet.
The longer the esp is awake the quicker it drains the 18650. WIFI is a big drain on the cell. The sooner you can connect , do the job and go back to sleep the better.
Static IP is quicker than DHCP. Fast connect can help but I don’t use it as I have more than one router using the same SSID and it would sometimes connect to the weakest signal not the
closest and strongest.
I set the output power as low as possible. You can see below Where I have set my output to 13dBM and the router still receives at -45dBm (you can go as low as 8dBm. Experiment.). This saves 80mW over the default 20dBm output.

# Enable logging. Leave it in DEBUG until get it up and running but switch it to INFO later to save resources and leave the ESP more stable.
logger:
  level: INFO 
ota:
  password: "Redacted"

wifi:
  ssid: "Redacted"
  manual_ip:
    static_ip: 192.168.1.81
    gateway: 192.168.1.1
    subnet: 255.255.255.0
    dns1: 192.168.1.1
    dns2: 8.8.8.8  
  output_power: 13dB
  fast_connect: on

# Enable fallback hotspot (captive portal) in case wifi connection fails
  ap:
    ssid: "Solarplantwatering"
    ap_timeout: 15min
1 Like

Okay. Sounds like you get to be this projects connection&communications chief officer (or you can make an even fancier title if you like)

On that note, should we try to formalize the who-does-what? Would making issues in Git work for you?

Putting everything in github would be good. A BOM, a wiring diagram. I was thinking of dping the wiring diagram tomorrow.

I have little experience with Github but I’m sure I could work it out.

Yes having a schematic would help to know which pins are being used. In the code I’m just putting in the pins I used. I don’t have your hardware. I don’t have any sort of water sensor.

I have 3 switches. A software reset switch as I don’t have external switch and 2 motor switches. I have set the motor switch to not run for more than 400s.
In the initial stages sometimes I couldn’t turn the pump off and it would pump out 20L before I got to it. I pump to 4 pots which have drainage holes.
60 seconds might be better for an individual pot. When you run the pump you will need to measure how much water it pumps in a given time. The normal watering time is controlled by MQTT via a script. Easier to adjust a script in HA than reflash the ESP. I am working on setting the water time on a slider bar on the frontend.

switch:
  - platform: restart
    name: "solarplantingwatering Restart"
 #  delay of 400000ms is a failsafe if mqtt fails to shut pump off
  - platform: gpio
    pin: 14
    id: relay1
    inverted: false
    name: "Plant watering1"
    icon: "mdi:watering-can"
    #turn_on_action:
    on_turn_on: