iOS actionable notification - caps, lower case, single quote, double quote...? please help! --> SOLVED

I’ve read through all of the posts and examples on how to get iOS actionable notifications working. The code below is what I’ve taken from previous posts and modified to fit my specific environment.

I do see a notification, however it is not actionable (yes, I’ve force-pressed on it). I have also updated my “push categories” within the HA iOS app.

There seems to be different recommendations on UPPER_CASE vs. lower_case and single vs. double quotes. Any help would be appreciated.

ios:                                                                                            
  push:                                                                                         
    categories:                                                                                 
      - name: garage1                                                                           
        identifier: 'garage1'                                                                   
        actions:                                                                                
          - identifier: 'CLOSE_JANIS'                                                           
            title: 'Close Garage Door'                                                          
            activationMode: 'background'                                                        
            authenticationRequired: true                                                        
            destructive: true                                                                   
            behavior: 'default'                                                                 

automation:                                                                                     
  - alias: iOS app notification garage opened #creates the action button                        
    initial_state: True                                                                         
    trigger:                                                                                    
      platform: state                                                                           
      entity_id: cover.garage_door                                                        
      from: 'closed'                                                                            
      to: 'open'                                                                                
    action:                                                                                     
      service: notify.ios_my_device                                                            
      data:                                                                                     
        message: "Garage door opened" #customizable                                             
        data:                                                                                   
          push:                                                                                 
            category: "garage1"

You seem to have correctly defined the automation to send the actionable notification. Your actionable notification definition looks ok too, but have you defined an automation for when the action is activated?

trigger:
    platform: event
    event_type: ios.notification_action_fired
    event_data:
      actionName: CLOSE_JANIS
  action:
    (close your garage door)

EDIT:
Your notification is missing action_data too.

action:                                                                                     
      service: notify.ios_my_device                                                            
      data:                                                                                     
        message: "Garage door opened" #customizable                                             
        data:                                                                                   
          push:                                                                                 
            category: "garage1"
          action_data:
            entity_id: group.alarm_outputs # this can be any valid entity_id but seems to be required.

I do have an automation for when the action is activated (see below), however I cannot even see the action part of the notification. I figured I’d get that working first:

- alias: iOS app notification garage #creates the action button
    initial_state: True
    trigger:
      platform: event
      event_type: ios.notification_action_fired
      event_data:
        actionName: CLOSE_JANIS #name matched in ios component
    action:
      service: switch.turn_on
      entity_id: switch.garage_door_opener_switch

As for the “action_data”, I understood this to be optional, a way to pass extra messages to a more complex automation. Looking at others working examples, I didn’t see this in most.

So, I managed to fix the problem. In my main config, I had disabled the legacy login as was recommended a couple of releases ago. It seems this prevented the iOS app from completely communicating with HA.

Until the new iOS app is released, it looks like you need to keep legacy logins enabled.

You could use the beta app. It’s very stable. Public Beta Testing is now open!

Interesting. All the tutorials I watched said it was necessary. Though it did seem superfluous to me.

I have the same issue
none of my actionable notification is working anymore. also not with the beta app