IOT Link - Windows Management using MQTT

Did you ever find a solution for this? I’m having the same problem.

The only solution I’ve found is to just stop the service and then start it again. But I have to do that every time I turn on my cpu after it’s been off.

No. There is an open issue on the Iotlink github.

I have the same. When I start the service its working for 30 seconds. After that I dont ge updates anymore. In MQTT explorer either. Workgroups are all the same. Restart of the service is the only way to get it to work for 30 seconds! I did a complete reinstall (Framework installed). IoTLink installed as administrator. I don’t know what is wrong. IoTLink was exactly what I was looking for.

I think development has stopped on this because it is to unreliable. The open iotlink issues just get ignored.

1 Like

@alexslx, hope you’re doing OK bud.

1 Like

Do you know any alternative programs? With the same functions?

Hello people,

When I created the project, I did not imagine that it would be used as widely as it is today, where the list of sensors was growing and some things like HA Discovery were added. That said, unfortunately the number of bugs that exist for some people is quite high, and it is very difficult to correct when dealing with a windows service, where I cannot easily debug. In addition, I chose C # due to the ease of programming and integration with .NET and Windows features, but this is not the language with my greatest expertise, so it certainly shouldn’t be the best implementation in the world.

As my official work has increased considerably, and besides that I am having to do other jobs to supplement my income, my free time has been very limited and I try to use it to relieve my head, play games or do other things. Some people even suggested to me to make some paid features or put some screen that bothers you until I receive something, but I don’t like that because the idea was always to leave the project open-source for the community to contribute, either by spreading the word, contributing with the code, wiki , and who can (and wants) to donate.

That said, I would like to say that my time for the project has been very little, if anything, so don’t expect too many new implementations ahead. However, I will leave here the link to a BETA version of IOTLink 2.2.0 where I implemented some corrections, as well as a new Addon (Process Manager) that I developed before my break from the project. Remembering that it is a BETA version, but the idea is to reduce the number of errors that version 2.1.1 left.

IOTLink v2.2.0 BETA 2:
https://iotlink.gitlab.io/files/IOTLink_Installer_v2.2.0-beta2.exe

If anyone wants to help fix bugs or implement new features, the project is open-source. Everyone is welcome to open a Merge Request with corrections or improvements. I am open to receiving and discussing these improvements.

9 Likes

Just wanted to say thank you for IOTLink. I use it extensively and just wanted you to know that your work is appreciated!

2 Likes

I’ve tested the Process Manager and it is working great for Firefox.

1 Like

First I would like to congratulate you for the great work! Then I want to say that this beta version solved a problem that I was having in connection with mqtt. So far it’s perfect.

2 Likes

Hey guys,

I’ve finished and released the official IOT Link v2.2.0. It went from the public beta 2 to a beta 7 with a few people since that day. That being said, there are a few important changes:

1. Audio Monitoring has been totally removed from the code base, due to a library with some memory leaks which I was spending too much effort trying to solve. It might come one day as a separated addon to manage audio devices, or if anyone want to do that, please feel free.
  2. Several MQTT leaks has been fixed since v2.1.1 release.
  3. Process monitor is now default to a simple mode where only the ON/OFF status is being added as a HA Auto Discovery. If you want more infos (RAM, CPU, etc), you can enable per process monitor basis.
  4. Some configuration keys has been changed since the beta2 to beta7 and the official release. Please do a complete uninstall/reinstall to avoid issues with misconfiguration.
  5. I’ll look over old reported issues on Gitlab to see if something is missed from this release, but it seems pretty stable compared to v2.1.1 and v2.1.0

I’m not able to update the wiki right now, so if anyone want to take care of it, it is open-source as well.

Release v2.2.0:
https://iotlink.gitlab.io/downloads.html

Regards,
Alex

8 Likes

Great project! I really recommend it, very useful and a powerful tool. There’s nothing like it available as for now… Thanks!

Hi @alexslx, thank you for everything you are doing!

Quick question, when you say removed audio monitor, does that mean the functionality to raise/lower the pc volume won’t be there anymore, or is it just the return of the audio value?

Thanks!

Hi,

Both commands and sensors were removed. That means that muting, volume control and other audio related functions are removed.

PS: Media commands (play, pause, next, previous) still working, because they are only sending the media keys to Windows.

I installed this new version, it seems like its working good!

Do commands still work on the same topic?
I cant get the notify one to work.
Im using: /iotlink/workgroup/nerv-desktop/commands/notify

Lock, and hibernate works.
But IOTLink stops working after waking the computer again, I still have the processes running in Task manager, but it stops updating altogether until I restart the service.

Yes, commands are same topic.

Please, open an issue at gitlab and attach your logs right after you see that IOTLink stopped working.

Hello,

I’ve just installed IOTLink on 4 machines and it’s great! Everything works perfectly EXCEPT one thing. If I restart Home Assistant, 9/10 of the sensors turn to “unknown” until I restart the service on each of the machines manually.

I have searched around and found mention of others with this issue, but not a solid solution.

Obviously this is a pain. Does anyone have a fix for this?

You should enable retain flag if you want your topics to stay on restart.

@Everyone

I released v2.2.1 today with a sleep wake up fix on MQTT. Stable for 5 days with me.

1 Like

Cool! Im going to try that version.
The problem what I have with IOTLink not working after wake up/reboot/turn on and having to run it manually seems to only happen with my laptop, as its not happening with my desktop.
Unfortunately I have not had the time to use my laptop to check the logs

Now that you mention it, that does make sense… it’s only the sensors that don’t change often, if at all that do it.

Since you have the default set to false, I’m curious as to what the reason for that is, or if there are any pitfalls to setting it to true?

So far that seems to have done the trick though.

Thanks for the help!