IP Camera on Raspberry Pi 3

Hi everyone!

Started using Hass awhile ago on my laptop and have migrated everything to a raspberry pi zero with Hass.io everything was working ok, but after awhile friezed and I had to reboot the Pi zero, thought it was just because the Pi zero couldnt take it bought the pi 3 and migrated everything again meanwhile received 2 more ip cameras (making total of 3) and configured everything straight away.
Happens the pi3 was friezing even faster so after afew tries I’ve disabled the cameras and everything worked flawless, its been running 4 days nonstop without any problem or need of rebooting.
my cameras config are:

> #       PARROTS TV
>   - platform: ffmpeg
>     input: -rtsp_transport tcp -i rtsp://xxx.xxx.x.xxx:PORT/tcp/av0_0
>     username: **********
>     password: ********
>     name: Parrots TV

> #       CAMERA 2
>     name: Camera 2

> #       CAMERA 1
>     name: Camera 1

Any idea/help on why this is happening?

my cameras are:

and

they are pretty much the same only difference I see is one having the SANNCE logo and the other one being totally white

ffmpeg takes a lot of horsepower and CPU cycles even to provide a thumbnail. It doesn’t look like either of these cameras have an mjpeg option though.

1 Like

I’m not sure if ffmpeg camera have a bug with new asyncio layout and ffmpeg version. I will try it out what the problem could be.

1 Like

I’d be interested in what you find as on my cam view, my two ffmpeg cams are the last two to load by a factor of 7-10 seconds on average. It seems to be the initial load only though as once loaded, they update and respond as quickly as my mjpeg cams and android IP webcam.

thats what I was afraid :S
Any suggestion to have the stream on HASS? Is it possible something like open the cameras on a raspberry and stream it from there to HASS without using ffmpeg?

I have one, but I’m not sure you’re going to like it. LOL

There’s a post in Share Your Projects about some users connecting the cameras to iSpy on a PC and integrating the outputs into HA from iSpy as cameras.

It’s not quite as nutty as it sounds; if you have a spare PC you can run it on, iSpy literally supports almost every camera out there. They have an online database of the URLs for all the cams they support streaming from and I send people there when looking for streaming URLs for HA’s Generic Cam.

iSPy is opensource and free to download. They have a cloud subscription service, which is how they make some money, but the software itself has an internal HTTP server, so it’s not necessary for this. I’ve run iSpy (may still have it installed?) but never went so far as to connect cams from it to HA as mine run direct.

Here’s the thread:

1 Like

@rpitera yeah I know iSpy, found it and used it awhile searching for the right url to connect them to Hass.

I’m gonna give it a try but with Zoneminder instead for Ubuntu like its mention on the last comment of the project and I just saw its a already supported device and I can also run it on one of my Orange Pi boards and drop the laptop/desktop :slight_smile:

Thank you for the help and guidance.

1 Like

any news now that ffmpeg 1.9 is out?