iPhone or AppleWatch near field proximity detection

I would love to have the ability to detect if I’m in the near field of the main entrance, let’s say 100cm or less.
Is there anything in the app that can help to close the loop. LE Bluetooth? Beacons?

1 Like

Im using now 2 iOS Apps: Locative and Geofency.
Just 1 was not a option because sometimes very rear the app is not send signal when I’m outside the range or inside the range. So 2 apps that will send status. Then build a sensor for those 2 entities, when 1 is change it will change the sensor from home to not_home and vs.

Now try to build a BT Beacon, but the range is not the best, when its not detect the iPhones in the house, it will send a signal that I’m not at home. Ordered a different dongle with a range of 100meter, so hope this will cover my apartment totally, and I don’t disconnect from the beacon.

Bottomline, the 2 apps are the best option for now… if the beacon part fails to work, I keep it this way.
It work great now for almost a year. Only my parter turn off his 4G Network , so when he leaves there is no status change, the apps cant send the signal… With BT Beacon, only your BT must be on, and you don’t need a internet connection.

My use case is a little bit different. I want to enable a door lock when I’m in the near field of the door. Can I use Locative to detect 1 mt radius with a BT beacon inside a gang box?

Locative and Geofency based on GPS. So 1 mt radius is my idea almost impossible. Only when your GPS is 100% accurate. But I never seen a 100% accurate position. Then a BT Beacon inside almost next to the lock is better option.

I’m also interested in a solution like that for auto unlock the front door when I’m getting home!
For what I’ve seen, BT beacon is the best solution… but I haven’t tried it yet!
Another ideia is to use NFC tags and have an automation on iPhone shortcut app to unlock the door… but you’ll have to take the phone out of the pocket and “use it as the key”, so it wouldn’t be a fully auto unlock solution…

There is a project community driven by @andrewjfreyer which seems to be interesting https://github.com/andrewjfreyer/monitor
with the App from @Odianosen25 Home (Monitor) Presence App V2
It requires to install Raspberry PI Zero W as a monitor device.

On the BT beacon side an integration with owntracks seems to be a simple solution https://www.home-assistant.io/blog/2016/04/30/ibeacons-part-1-making-presence-detection-work-better/#tips

Take a look at room-assistant. I use it to detwct presence on a room basis with Raspberry Pi Zero W’s and Nut Mini attached to our keys.

Thanks for pointing to this solution as well!

Here’s a detailed guide how I setup Room-Assistant from scratch, in case you are interested.