IR Change in NEC : what do I need to do?

I have a similar problem to @seanomat. I have some IR LEDS that I control with ESPhome and I use the NEC code. This worked reliably before 2021.12. I tried to reverse the orders as suggested but the codes are already symmetrical so are the same backwards and forwards. Am I missing something?

- remote_transmitter.transmit_nec:
      address: 0x00FF
      command: 0x03FC

(Sorry if text formatting is incorrect - I’m a noob when it comes to questions here)

address = 1111 1111
command = 0011 1111 1100

I guess you didn’t use the post I marked as solution.

You are missing some bits.

You have 4 hexadecimal values, that each translate to 4 bits. So your solution should have 4x4 bits.

Seems like you ignored the leading zeros.

Edit: I just realized, I did not mark the answer as solution. Did now :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Ah OK. I just used a standard hex to binary converter that I found with a search. You have given me renewed hope. I shall give that a try. Thanks for coming back on this.

To confirm @seanomat, that worked a treat! On reflection, I’m embarrassed that I made such a schoolboy error. Many thanks

1 Like

Posted this to the github issue, but also post it here for the benefit of others who might hit this:

#!/usr/bin/env python3
# DeftDawg's script for converting ESP NEC IR Remote commands and addresses in place
# 
# In the 2021.12 release of ESPHome the order of bits used in NEC commands was reversed
# https://esphome.io/changelog/2021.12.0.html#nec-remote-protocol
# 
# This script takes your yaml file and applies the coversion automatically while attempting to preserve formatting as much as possible
#
# pip3 install ruamel.yaml pathlib

# chmod +x esphome-yaml-nec-converter.py # make this script executable
# cd esphome
# mkdir new
# for f in $(grep transmit_nec *.yaml | cut -d: -f1 | sort -u); do ../esphome-yaml-nec-converter.py $f > new/$f; done
# 
# These steps will install the required deps, create a new directory and convert each yaml saving them to the new directory.
# Next compare the exsting yaml files with new and replace if everything looks good (apt install colordiff wdiff; wdiff esp.yaml new/esp.yaml | colordiff)
# Finally if everything looks okay, using ESPHome run validate on the changed config and then install it

import sys
from ruamel.yaml import YAML
from pathlib import Path

# @petergebruers method for converting from old to new format
def reverse_mask(x):
    x = ((x & 0x5555) << 1) | ((x & 0xAAAA) >> 1)
    x = ((x & 0x3333) << 2) | ((x & 0xCCCC) >> 2)
    x = ((x & 0x0F0F) << 4) | ((x & 0xF0F0) >> 4)
    x = ((x & 0x00FF) << 8) | ((x & 0xFF00) >> 8)
    return x

# For example, address: 0x84ED , command: 0x13EC becomes 0xB721 and 0x37C8 respectively.
# print(f"0x{reverse_mask(0x84ED):04X} should be 0xB721")
# print(f"0x{reverse_mask(0x13EC):04X} should be 0x37C8")

def convert_file(file_name):
    path = Path(file_name)
    yaml = YAML()
    doc = yaml.load(path)

for switch in doc['switch']:
        if 'turn_on_action' in switch:
            for action in switch['turn_on_action']:
                if 'remote_transmitter.transmit_nec' in action:
                    action['remote_transmitter.transmit_nec']['address'] = f"0x{reverse_mask(action['remote_transmitter.transmit_nec']['address']):04X}"
                    action['remote_transmitter.transmit_nec']['command'] = f"0x{reverse_mask(action['remote_transmitter.transmit_nec']['command']):04X}"
    yaml.dump(doc, sys.stdout)

convert_file(sys.argv[1])
1 Like

Thank you for this conor! :slight_smile:
In case someone is looking for “new” Logitech Z5500 codes:

0xF708 address (for all codes!)
0xEF10 power command
0xE51A vol up command
0xF10E vol dn command
0xFA05 test command
0xF50A direct command
0xF40B optical command