iRobot Roomba Init

With 2024.2.3 I don‘t even get to the point where I am asked to retrieve the password (Roomba j7).

It gets stuck at “manually connect the device”.

No iRobot app is running, nothing in the logs.

I updated to 2024.2.3, now It is able to retrieve the password again, but can’t setup the entity due to a new error.

AttributeError: module 'paho.mqtt.client' has no attribute 'CallbackAPIVersion'

After upgrade to 2024.2.3 the integration comes directly with a manual add screen after detecting my Roomba J7. I have the correct password and username, but only a password input field popups. After entering the password “ unknown error occured” and nothing in the logs.

With core 2024.2.3 my Roomba J7 isn’t even detected anymore. :person_shrugging:

Core
Supervisor
Operating System

There’s a separate issue with roomba in 2024.2.3, please wait for the next version. This has been pointed out in the release thread as well.

2 Likes

This is not solved. Same problem with 2024.2.4.

"Connection failed“, nothing in the logs.

Logs will definitely tell you why it couldn’t connect. At a minimum, you will have a failed to connect log line.

Please, open an issue with logs attached and tag me. I more than sure that there are some overlooked quirks in underlying transport, so it would be nice to nail them before next major release.

Thanks, but there is definitely no log.

I see this:

And then I‘m ask to “manually connect to the device” and that no roomba or braava device was found. However, the shown IP address is correct.

After tapping on "Send“ and waiting for a while I see "Connection failed“ and that‘s it.

Updated to 2024.2.4 and now it is working!
You do need to manuall discover the password and add the J7+ but then you are able to connect.

Well… To avoid losing track of this problem, open the issue on the GitHub for this integration. I will soon be rewriting something under the hood of this integration, I have an idea how to diagnose such cases, like «something broke, no logs, no clue how to fix».

1 Like

Are there plans on making the credentials easier?

Sure. I hope to have this implemented by the 2024.3.1 or so.

Just wrote most of the code for this tonight.

2 Likes

Cool, I’ve helped many people set the current integration up. It’s not easy explaining how to install python to run a script.

I tried to retrieve the password before trying to connect… but:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File “”, line 1, in
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/roombapy/entry_points.py”, line 34, in password
_validate_roomba_info(roomba_info)
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/roombapy/entry_points.py”, line 85, in _validate_roomba_info
raise RoombaConnectionError(msg)
roombapy.roomba.RoombaConnectionError: cannot find roomba

Container ID and roomba IP are definitely correct.

If roomba pi can’t connect to your roomba, neither will the HA integration

I’m more and more inclined to think that a full-fledged diagnostic utility should be built into the integration (or even released as part of roombapy). Something like «paste Roomba IP, get all available information».

1 Like

My HA is running as a docker image on a QNAP NAS.

My roomba is reachable via ping both from the NAS and from within the container. Otherwise, it could not have been detected by HA (see my screenshot from an hour ago).

Yes but the library roombapy is what HA uses. It’s not made by home assistant, it’s used by HA, made by a 3rd party. If you can’t get that to connect to your roomba to get the password, you won’t get HA to connect to your roomba.

I have added a comment here.

1 Like