Iron gate sensor

Hi i just got the wemos and defined it
Just check again for the sensor side it suppose to have the no model ( normally open) right ?

That is best from a security point of view but either NO or NC will work. By using NO (open when gate is open) the circuit will show an open gate if the wire is cut, giving you better security.

Hi, thanks
Another question
At the gate i have 220v or 12v ac.
The wemos is 5v dc do you have any idea how to connect it ?
( beside of 220 ac to 5v dc converter, because it is big)

Use a bridge rectifier to rectify the 12Vac to dc, then use one of these to step that down to 5Vdc.

It can be done.
Here is what my outdoor gate contacts look like. It is on wood but this will work on a metal gate with spacers.
IMG_1744
I used a 3 inch magnetic contact in the PVC pipe extended from the condulete wired to a wireless sensor that fits in the condulete.
The magnet is on the angle bracket.
completely weatherproof.
This has been working for years now with no problems. With metal you will need strong magnets, use a 3 inch contact and you can double up on the magnets (opposite polarity) to give it a stronger reach if needed.
If you keep the magnet from mounting directly on the metal you will have no problems.

Which is exactly what I said.

A year ago.

1 Like

The device you send is DC to DC are you sure?

That’s why I said to use a bridge rectifier first to change the 12V AC to DC. Trust me it works, I have a similar circuit setup myself

Hi,
Can you send me a link from aliexpress ?

You only need one but most listings seem to be for multiples, good thing they are super cheap.

Don’t i need this one :

The only difference is that the one you show has some filtering with it. Since you will use a DC-DC convertor to change the voltage down to 5V, that will do the filtering for you. No need to filter prior to the DC-DC convertor

Thanks, i checked with the sensor spec , it is 12v dc so no need to go to 5v

You wanted to install a Wemos though didn’t you? They will turn to smoke with 12V. They only accept either 5V or 3.3V (using different connections).

You are right so i need a 5v dc gate sensor. Outdoor
So what is the best way to convert the 12v ac to 5v dc
And which sensor you recommend for 5v dc on iron gate

No. The sensor / switch has zero smarts in it. The voltage rating on it is simply a maximum that the manufacturer has specified.

Please provide a photo of the gate location you wish to install the sensor. It’s too hard to specify a part without knowing the gate design.

Perhaps something like this.

It looks ok , but i don’t think it is for outdoor.

Hi, i saw it.
It need 12v according to what i am understand

No, as I said previously, that is the maximum rated voltage. A reed switch does not require power to operate. It will work fine at 5V