Is GPIO broken?

I have a 3B+ with a new hassio flash install and the example code for the the rpi-gpio does not work. It gives me an invalid config window. Similarly, using platform: command_line with an external script does not seem to work.

>switch:
>  platform: command_line
>  switches:
>    alert_light:
>      command_on: python_scripts/alert_light.py

or

>switch:
>  platform: rpi_gpio
>  ports:
>    12: AlertLight

Before my hassio install, I had a simple working python script that flashed a light from a gpio pin. Can’t for the life of me get it working with hassio.

Not harp on other things, but I wish there were comments on add-ons. I’ve found some are just not ready for prime time. It’s a pain to install something that turns out to be junk and then uninstall it. Did this with the google calendar add-on.

I came here to ask exactly the same question. I’m using a PiFace digital I/O board on my RPi for hardwired motion sensors. I’m also sitting in the dark because they no longer work. I just upgraded from Hass.io running on Resin OS to the latest Hass.io running on HassOS.

I’ve also been having all kinds of problems with AppDaemon permissions and Hass 0.74. I keep getting unauthorized access messages in my logs.

This has been a nightmare trying to get HassOS to work.

Can I download Hass.io with Hass 0.73 and Resin OS from somewhere so I can go back to what works?

Ken

1 Like

Hassio isn’t based on Raspbian. In fact it’s powered by Docker. Hassio is used as strictly a home automation system and, from what I’ve experimented, is useless with the command line. IMO, Hassio is a “plug ‘n’ play” option. If you want to use the GPIO pins you’ll have to install Hassbian and not Hassio. Hassbian will need a bit more TLC though. If you’re feeling adventurous and know Linux pretty well, you can try the manual install.

edit: Check out this post. I was confused when I first installed Home Assistant as well. What is the difference between Hassbian and HASS.io?

Of course it isn’t based on Raspbian. It isn’t based on any OS. Hass.io is Home Assistant running under Docker, whether it be on Raspbian, Hassbian, resinOS, or HassOS. Having the OS built into the downloadable and installable image is a convenience. Whether GPIO works has nothing to do with whether I’m running a manually installed Hass or Docker-based Hass.io. It has everything to do with the underlying OS support of it. It worked fine with resinOS. It doesn’t work with HassOS.

Today’s reliance on wireless for everything is crazy if you want a robust home automation setup. I was doing home automation before Z-Wave, Zigbee, and even Wi-Fi were invented. We had no choice but to hardwire everything. My motion sensors never need batteries changed, are not susceptible to interference, and are responded to instantly. If Hass claims to support GPIO, then it shouldn’t matter whether its Hass or Hass.io.

Whatever it’s based on, if you go the website, follow the instructions and it FAILS, it is a pretty darn big FAILURE. And this is the land of open source and pour documentation.

to quote someone from the mentioned thread. “HassIO is for those who want it to “just work””

To be plain, nowhere do I read hassio equals no GPIO.

@kdavidson did you manage to get your PiFace digital I/O board working. I am struggling to get mine working on hassio. Worked fine until I upgraded from resinOS to hassio. Any ideas?

3 Likes

Same here. After moving from Hass.io to HassOS the rf_rpi component stopped working for me. I think this should be rather easy to fix as it must be a matter of mapping the correct /dev/ device to the Docker container.

The problem is that HassOS doesn’t enable I2C and SPI by default. I made one change in the repo directly to config.txt, but it turns out that file is dynamically generated (see closed PR #149). I did find the correct place to make the change, but didn’t want to commit anything until I’d tested it. Since I went back to resinOS after my initial problems and it still works well for me, I haven’t taken the time to test my change.

try appdaemon

The title on the thread is a bit misleading. When I first asked the question, I thought the issue was RPi GPIO. It’s not. It’s enabling the serial interface that is used to talk to an expansion GPIO chip on a HAT board. AppDaemon is unrelated to the issue and can’t fix it.

Has anyone made any progress getting the gpio pins on a raspberry 3 working when using hass.io? I’m new to all of this and not being able to control the pins is stopping me from setting up my thermostats.

My alternative is to buy a cheap microcontroller with wifi and make calls to that to control its io pins but that seems like overkill.

I was having the same issues, but this PR has solved everything for me. Release in version 0.82.