Is it feasible to use the HA companion app as a GPS client app for Traccar

I have the traccar server integration up and running. I use the traccar client app for iOS as the client. Works well but the traccar client app is a battery hog and I thinking it would be so good to use the HA companion app instead of the traccar client app on my iPhone.

Is this a possibility?

Hope this is not too cheeky but name checking @ludeeus who I think is responsible for the amazing work on the traccar integrations :slight_smile:

Funny you should mention that, I asked a couple of weeks ago and got nothing back so I ventured on a 2 day ‘bang my head against a wall-athon’ and finally came up with a SOLUTION on how to send any device_tracker to traccar server.

FYI, You may need to change it a little if you are using passwords etc.

I hope this is what you’re looking for :slight_smile:

This is on your HA server, not your phone btw.

Thanks for this. I will give it a try over the weekend and see how I get on. I’ll update on the thread you have linked but this gives me some hope so much appreciated.

It’s a bummer that the Traccar app uses so much battery.

Just hope the HA companion app updates frequently enough for my use case. I want to keep an eye on my teenage son - just checking to see if he is driving too fast.

The other challenge is getting location based speed limit data but I have cracked that more or less!

Thanks again @RoadkillUK

No problem :slight_smile: It will update as often as your device_tracker updates. I found that the Traccar app for some reason wasn’t as accurate as the HA Companion app, I also felt that I didn’t need more than one app reporting my position from my phone.

I kinda like these sorts of challenges, they’re fun and painful.