Is it possible to modify (customize?) the Media Control card?

As far as I have seen, whenever the Media Control Card is used, the icon in the upper left corner is always the same:

This Icon is perhaps perceived as a general type cast icon, but that is questionable. Most people - me included - associate this icon as the proprietary Google ChromeCast icon. I don’t know for certain if Google actually has a copyright to this icon or not, but that’s not my point. Is becomes very misleading when every media player card is tagged with the same icon. Like the Apple player above. It should definitely not have a “ChormeCast” Icon, but rather an Apple icon.

Is it possible to modify/custmize the Media Control Card in any way ?

[Edit] I found a partial solution: Click on the three dots and then on the settings gears. The icon can be changed system wide for that particular media device using i.e. MDI.
However, I have not found a way to dynamically change/override the icon as part of an automation or script.

I can only suggest the mini-media-player card, way better and more customizable than the default media control card in my opinion.

Thank you, I can do that. It would probably solve my “problem”.
But my case still remains; The designer of the standard Media Control Card should allow user modification of more than just the name. To me, the need to do this is so obvious, it’s hard to understand why this was not implemented.

1 Like