Is it possible to trigger something from one icon on an Android phone's home screen?

Maybe this App?

@liviumac Thanks, but it’s kind of difficult to do on my way up to the house when I carry stuff in my hands from the car, not to mention that I would like something (I forgot to mention that, I’m afraid…) that I can send in a messenger message to guests. I already have tags for the door. I wish I could use the phone too, but the NFC in that changes for each time you scan it.

@tom_l Thanks, but as i said, without installing any apps.

@koying Thanks, if it’s not possible without any apps, then maybe that would be the closest? It’s impractical for guests, but at least I and my wife can use that for ourselves.

You want an icon on your phone to unlock your door without installing an app? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I understand you’re a Texan, but still, giving guests a way to open your front door without authentication is looking for troubles :wink:

@tom_l Yes. As of now I have a web address to a virtual HomeAssistant instance that I activate when we have guests and send them the link on Messenger, but with that they have to open chrome, click on the “open” and then close Chrome, I was hoping for a “silent” solution only clicking an icon without anything opening. My web server is quite impossible to find because I use a dyn service, and I change the name of the link page regularly. Not to mention that there’s nothing in the link page that says where the door actually is.

@koying Actually I’m Norwegian, the weapon was the Texans. And I’m not scared at all. First of all I am 100 kilos of motorcycle riding, bearded bully with a military history, and everybody in my very small town knows me, so nobody messes with me. :wink: Second, we have an 85 kilos mastiff and warning signs outside the garden, with “enter at your own risk”, and there’s never ben an attempt at a breakin even if a few of the neighbours have had breakins because travelling eastern european burglars (which do around 70 % of burglaries in Norway in the latest statistics I saw) are scared shitless of big dogs. Third Norwegian burglers are probably less high-tech than the ones in your area, if having a door “online” is a problem for you. As far as I know there has never been a breakin where they used a code lock, smashing a back window is so much easier.

1 Like

Is your lock integrated with HAS?
If so, can’t you just install the HAS app then use a widget to trigger an automation?

Read 3 posts up.

Why bother closing the door at all then? :rofl:

2 Likes

There’s this one time access addon, but it’s not much simpler than what you have now.

If you don’t want them to have to install an app, and it’s clearly not possible without them installing an app. Then the only solution that you have left is to to use automations to scan for their phone arriving back on the network after it has left and unlock the door when Hass recognises that they have returned (but continue to use the Chrome instance as a backup)

Fact is, I don’t see how you could add an icon on your friends phone without any app installed on their side, so there will be “inconvenience” on their side, anyway.

With the HA rest API, you should be able to provide a link without any UI via your web server a bit of, e.g., PHP.

See the POST “api/states/<entity_id>” /api/services/<domain>/<service>

why not use the webhook?

1 Like

@Burningstone Insurance reasons only…

@mobile.andrew.jones That could work, yeah. I didn’t really think about that. the problem is if they come within the network range, change their mind and leave again.

@koying Valid point, but they are able to click the menu of Chrome and choose “Add to home page”, which is a lot easier than installing a new app from Play.

@lacikadnb That one I will have to check out, thanks!

I don’t know how happy your insurance will be if you have a webpage or similar that basically anyone can use without any authentication…

Have you considered getting a lock with a keypad and then you can text message friends with the code. This tied with proximity on your phone to unlock the door automatically will give you what you want. You could also go to RFID if needed.

@Burningstone if you don’t tell them about it I won’t… 0 chance for them to ever find out.

@AllHailJ It is a lock with a keypad, but for convenience (laziness) I want to do this.

As for webhook, it doesn’t seem to work with an URL in a browser because that uses a GET request while the webhook (at least the way I understand it) needs a POST.

Api service call but careful not to send password or tokens in clear

You could also use this to call notification on your side that you [OK] in notification action or add some.
I’m this case even call in clear may not be issue

In which case, they come in range and you send a notification with an action button to unlock the door. As long as the virtual HA you are having then use is on https then you can send a notification to the webapp.

Or for a less “intrusive” workaround -
When state has changed to away for more than 5 minutes and lock state is unlocked. Call service lock
(Pseudo code)

@tmjpugh I will check that out, thanks! And no, anything clear will be no issue. I have thought a little bit more and I think I may run and send the guests the link to a separate virtual Pi with Hass on my VMWare Server, with only single automation thing on it, which sends “unlock door” to the MQTT broker. Then I’ll only have the VM running when we have guests. So when the guests leave I’ll both shut Hass down and change the password on the guest account next time it’s in use.

@mobile.andrew.jones Thanks, I’ll have a look at that too.