Is meteoalarm.eu down?

For days I have the meteoalarm sensor at “off” state regardless that we had several yellow and orange alerts at their webpage.

Perhaps someone knows how to ping the developer?

The component, python library or website is flaky. The last time my sensor was updated is 24 hours ago.

{{states.binary_sensor.meteoalarm.last_updated}}

Lots of different timeouts and errors in the logs.

Cc @rolfberkenbosch

I’ve removed it now, it’s a nice idea for a component but if it’s not reliable then it’s not worth using IMO.

1 Like

yes, not wanting to cross-post, please accept this link to another thread on the subject: Love the new Meteoalarm - how do I put the alert in a card?

Have to cancel the integration for now, hope to be of help when the dev takes it on to improve.

The component logging says that it times out because it takes too long to update:

Updating meteoalarm binary_sensor took longer than the scheduled update interval 0:30:00
15:30 helpers/entity_platform.py (WARNING) - message first occured at 12:00 and shows up 8 times

The xml is quick to load though:

https://www.meteoalarm.eu/ATOM/NL.xml

I’m not at home currently but when I am I will enable debug logging for the component and see what is happening behind the scenes.

hi, if you get to that, please have a look if this is explainable too:
Its safe so should show the mdi:shield-check icon… nothing really important, but it shows the integration isn’t functioning correctly.

I already know why that is the case. The component HAD set a fixed icon, instead of relying on the device class. This has already been fixed and will probably be released soon (tagged with 0.95.0b0).

The component will probably (hopefully :wink:) be updated in the next release.

The api update is also tagged with the same release.

1 Like

Ok, thanks for the update, missed that, sorry.
Hope they also fix the attributes, or better said, the absence of attributes in the ‘Off’ state.

Too bad @rolfberkenbosch isn’t chiming in on this discussion. :cry:

Sorry, I was not logged in. I will look into it!

The problem that I’m facing right now is that the website is totally not responsive enough. I have send them several emails, but get 0 response back. I’m looking if we can setup a mirror of meteoalarm.eu. Does anyone has some knowledge how to do this ?

What did you mean with “Hope they also fix the attributes, or better said, the absence of attributes in the ‘Off’ state.”

What do you expect ?

thanks for getting back to this, I probably should have been more explicit, sorry for that…

using:

- type: markdown
    content: >
      # <font color= grey> Weer Alarm Brabant:  [[ binary_sensor.meteoalarm_brabant.state ]] </font>

___

**Alarm code**

<font color= [[ sensor.weer_alarm.state ]]> - [[ sensor.weer_alarm.state ]] </font>

<font color= [[ sensor.weer_alarm.state ]]> - [[ binary_sensor.meteoalarm_brabant.attributes.awareness_level ]] </font>

<font color= [[ sensor.weer_alarm.state ]]> - [[ binary_sensor.meteoalarm_brabant.attributes.awareness_type ]] </font>

**Headline**

<font color= #4caf50> - [[ binary_sensor.meteoalarm_brabant.attributes.headline ]] </font>

**Event**

<font color= #4caf50> - [[ binary_sensor.meteoalarm_brabant.attributes.event ]] </font>

**Status**

<font color= #4caf50> - [[ binary_sensor.meteoalarm_brabant.attributes.description ]] </font>

___

renders:

because the attributes aren’t set when the binary_sensor is Off.

would be really nice if the attributes could be set to None, or some other informative setting.

Ive created a template sensor based on the meteo_alarm binary_sensor:

weer_alarm:
        friendly_name: Weeralarm
        value_template: >
          {% if is_state('binary_sensor.meteoalarm_brabant','on') %}
          {% set code = state_attr('binary_sensor.meteoalarm_brabant','awareness_level').split(';')[1] %}
          {{code|title}}
          {% else %} Green
          {% endif %}
        icon_template: >
          {% if is_state('binary_sensor.meteoalarm_brabant','on') %}
          {% set code = state_attr('binary_sensor.meteoalarm_brabant','awareness_level').split(';')[0] %}
          {% else %} {% set code = '0' %} 
          {% endif %}
          {{'mdi:numeric-' + code + '-box'}}

and customizations:

sensor.weer_alarm:
      templates:
        icon_color: >
          return state;

binary_sensor.meteoalarm_brabant:
      friendly_name: Meteoalarm Brabant
      templates:
        icon_color: >
          return entities['sensor.weer_alarm'].state;

to help out somewhat, but it would be really nice if this could be done without all this extra coding :wink:

I will into it. I haven’t seen that meteoalarm has a standard XML output. I have created a loop that will give all the attributes back when there is an “weather alarm”. Not every country is giving back the same attributes, that’s why it makes it difficult to set all the attributes to none.

You can look if you can use jinja2 for you markdown. That will solve your problem.

I hope you can at least fix the issue that an entity currently is not created if the site is down when restarting HA. When timing out, you should at least create the sensor with an Unknown state, that will be updated as soon as the site is back online.

Thanks for having a look.

Issue though isn’t my markdown card but the sensor not having attributes. If no warning is issued it should optimally say so, and not be non-existent.
Hope you can find a way to do so.

Hi again,

got to report a remarkable difference between Hassio version on Meteo alarm.
in dev-template enter:

{{states.binary_sensor.meteoalarm_brabant.attributes}}

HA 95.4 gives:

{'language': 'en-GB', 'category': 'Met', 'event': 'Severe high-temperature warning', 'responseType': 'Monitor', 'urgency': 'Future', 'severity': 'Severe', 'certainty': 'Likely', 'effective': '2019-07-23T07:32:43+00:00', 'onset': '2019-07-23T07:00:00+00:00', 'expires': '2019-07-25T07:00:00+00:00', 'senderName': 'KNMI Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute', 'headline': 'High-temperature - No warnings for Noord-Brabant - The Netherlands', 'description': 'Persistent heat.\nMaximumtemperatures today 30-34°C, Wednesday and Thursday 32-38°C.\nMinimum temperatures around 20°C.\nNationaal Hitteplan activated.\nBE PREPARED that high temperatures will  lead to health risks amongst vulnerable people like the elderly and very young.\nListen to and act upon advice from the authorities.', 'web': 'http://meteoalarm.eu/ne_NL/0/0/NL013-Noord-Brabant.html', 'contact': '[email protected]', 'awareness_type': '5; high-temperature', 'awareness_level': '3; orange; Severe', 'attribution': 'Information provided by MeteoAlarm.', 'friendly_name': 'Meteoalarm Brabant', 'icon': 'mdi:alert', 'device_class': 'safety', 'custom_ui_state_card': 'state-card-custom-ui', 'templates': OrderedDict([('icon_color', "return entities['sensor.weer_alarm'].state;\n")])}

while HA 96.3 gives:

{'language': 'en-GB', 'category': 'Met', 'event': 'Severe high-temperature warning', 'responseType': 'Monitor', 'urgency': 'Future', 'severity': 'Severe', 'certainty': 'Likely', 'effective': '2019-07-24T11:57:43+00:00', 'onset': '2019-07-24T11:00:00+00:00', 'expires': '2019-07-26T04:00:00+00:00', 'senderName': 'KNMI Royal Netherlands Meteorological Institute', 'headline': 'High-temperature - No warnings for Noord-Brabant - The Netherlands', 'description': 'Persistent heat.\nMaximumtemperatures today and Thursday 32-38°C, very locally even warmer.\nMinimum temperatures around 20°C.\nNationaal Hitteplan activated.\nBE PREPARED that high temperatures will  lead to health risks amongst vulnerable people e.g.\nthe elderly and very young.\nListen to and act upon advice from the authorities.', 'web': 'http://meteoalarm.eu/ne_NL/0/0/NL013-Noord-Brabant.html', 'contact': '[email protected]', 'attribution': 'Information provided by MeteoAlarm', 'friendly_name': 'Meteoalarm Brabant', 'device_class': 'safety', 'custom_ui_state_card': 'state-card-custom-ui', 'templates': OrderedDict([('icon_color', "return entities['sensor.weer_alarm'].state;\n")])}

rather important missing attributes are the awareness level and awareness type.

could you please check this is expected behavior @rolfberkenbosch ?

these attributes are of capital importance…

got to report a remarkable difference between Hassio version on Meteo alarm.

I didn’t know there was a HassIO version, I can’t see it in the add-on store, do you have a link to the HassIO version? Thanks