Is the Signal messenger integration still a thing?

I’m asking because the integration is less-than-trivial to implement, and:

• doing a search for the Signal REST API at Signal’s site, and on the internet in general, turns up pretty much nothing
  • also, there is one document returned – though no longer available – that mentions the API is no more

So before I attempt to set it all up…does Signal integration still work (for new users of it)?

Thanks.

The integration works as intended and the REST API is updated.

The ProgrammableWeb link is rather old and maybe for another api? I have never considered Signal Messenger as a marketing platform.

The docker image with instructions is one way to implement Signal notifications quickly.

If you just follow the links from the integration page you will find more information.

The integration page states “You need a spare phone number to register with the Signal Messenger service”.

This is true if you follow the instructions. Done via CLI you can link to an existing number.

Thanks for your reply fjakkarin, after almost two months I’d pretty much given up on receiving any response.

Although the internal Home Assistant notifications work really well, I’m somewhat discouraged from using them since learning they’re built on Firebase Cloud Messaging.
Meanwhile, Signal is my family’s primary messenger, so having Home Assistant’s notifications go through Signal has some real appeal, albeit there’s reduced functionality (e.g. it appears there’s no ability to define message-specific notification sounds).
I did open a ticket with Signal to ask about the API at the same time as my original post above, but to date have not received any answer from them.

@fjakkarin, can you please elaborate on how to link the Signal API to an existing number? Would be very useful! :slight_smile: